Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tyre machine

luke2152

I've been changing tyres by hand and after going through 3 sets I thought I'd be a pro but I still find it really hard work and takes a good 30 mins sometimes more (at least has given me some confidence to do it on the trail if I really have to). Been using motion pro tyre levers with a bead breaker which hasn't failed me yet but also doesn't break the bead easily. On a side note are regular dirt bikes that hard to change the tyres on or do they have looser rim/tyre combinations?

Been looking at one of these:

https://www.24mx.co.uk/motocross-parts/motocross-tyres--rims_c350/tyre-accessories_c3?54/proworks-tyre-machine_pid-HDS-14

Obviously at that price point it's nothing fancy but has anyone used it or similar. Is it worth the space in my garage? I'll be doing my road bike tyres too but they are way easier.

Edited by luke2152
  • Like 1

I'm not so sure you would be satisfied with that device.  It would break the bead a lot easier however it doesn't appear to hold the rim in place to prevent it from spinning when using the tire irons.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  Also, it's good to bolt any tire machine to the floor to stop it from moving around and adding frustration to the job.  

That said, for the price, it may make it a lot easier to replace a tyre.

This is what I have.  Look for something like this. 

20210507_123200.thumb.jpg.cbd17b9c4d4e51e41dfdd26efdfabef5.jpg

Edited by Landshark
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously not something you'd take on the trail with you, but here's what I have in my garage for tire bead breaking. Made this many years ago out of an old door hinge and a 2x4, and have used it dozens of times. When not in use, it folds up flat against the garage wall and is held in place by a zip tie. I still use tire irons for actual tire removal and installation by hand.

SAM_2148.thumb.JPG.dd90165294bcd201cb030c2dfde636d6.JPGSAM_2149.thumb.JPG.fd902ab4ba676fae9c04489d56ebfad2.JPG

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, jdub53 said:

Obviously not something you'd take on the trail with you, but here's what I have in my garage for tire bead breaking. Made this many years ago out of an old door hinge and a 2x4, and have used it dozens of times. When not in use, it folds up flat against the garage wall and is held in place by a zip tie. I still use tire irons for actual tire removal and installation by hand.

SAM_2148.thumb.JPG.dd90165294bcd201cb030c2dfde636d6.JPGSAM_2149.thumb.JPG.fd902ab4ba676fae9c04489d56ebfad2.JPG

I've seen this done before.  What a simple device that cost almost if not nothing.  Considering the stress of breaking a bead, this tool would be classified as therapeutic.  Good show.

39 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I have this one, and no... sadly not my workshop.

Do you have to bolt that contraption down to the bench or...  how do you use it without frustration?  It looks compact and tidy.

33 minutes ago, Landshark said:

Do you have to bolt that contraption down to the bench or...  how do you use it without frustration?  It looks compact and tidy.

No, i have it on the floor.
The wheel lies on the hoop and is secured with the wingnut. Then you break the bead and use the tyre irons that come with it and the rimprotectors if you want.
When you have the one side off you turn the wheel and you use the arm to push the other side off.

• Like 1

I have the same one in my workshop. Works quite well. I don't really bother with the wing nut.

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

Iv'e used a bunch and the very best and fastest there is is the Rabaconda.  After you have done a few, you can literally change a tire in 3-4 minutes.  I see em all over the motocross track pits now days. I don't have one but my buddy lets me use his.

R_fav.png?height=628&pad_color=ffffff&v=

Since 2012, more than 15,000 riders have changed their attitude towards tire changing thanks to the Rabaconda tire change tools. Today, Rabaconda is changing riders’ lives all around the world, 3 minutes at a time.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Iv'e used a bunch and the very best and fastest there is is the Rabaconda.  After you have done a few, you can literally change a tire in 3-4 minutes.  I see em all over the motocross track pits now days. I don't have one but my buddy lets me use his.

R_fav.png?height=628&pad_color=ffffff&v=

Since 2012, more than 15,000 riders have changed their attitude towards tire changing thanks to the Rabaconda tire change tools. Today, Rabaconda is changing riders’ lives all around the world, 3 minutes at a time.

I looked at this also and really liked it but not the price.

• Like 1

I used the OlmaxMotors tire changer for the first time recently. What a great piece of gear that is.

464428469_TireChangerOlmaxMotors.thumb.jpg.9a39373774649f6d4195e42435d22b72.jpg

1194929502_OlmaxMotorstirechangeronbench.thumb.jpg.05733200816f4dd87bc3eec5ff1e8d1a.jpg

My first attempt was to change a Motoz Desert HT 140/80x18 rear for another Desert HT. To complicate things, the wheel is a 2.5x18 Excel Takasago and running the Tubliss kit. The narrower rim generally makes things a little more cramped and running Tubliss requires a different approach to fitment (which actually helps I think). A complete tire change could be done in under 5 minutes, from breaking the bead to having the new tire mounted. I took less than 10 minutes without even trying, and most of that unrelated to using the machine.

The main benefit of this, other than ease of use, is to protect the rims. The "duck" at the end means the rim is never touched by levers. A couple of simple tricks is to use plenty of lube and some bead holders to hold the tire down into the centre of the rim while you twirl the handle. It would also be possible to mount it to a ute/truck tailgate and is compact for storage.

The problems with this kit are that the centre mounting pole is 20mm which only fits motorcycle back wheels or car wheels. It should be possible to machine a thinner pole, sleeve and locking wedge to suit a front wheel. It also needs to be mounted firmly which can be done using two bolts that protrude down through a bench or stand. And delivery takes a few months.

I'll try to get the next tire change on video and show how easy it can be done.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering, soon I'll be changing my rear tyre, and although I've changed several on my 501 and 701 before that, I'm genuinely not looking forward to changing the rear on the T7.

That 'safety bead/rib' that runs round the inside of the rim, I'm thinking of sanding this off in order to make tyre changing easier (certainly trail-side easier!).

Have any of you consider this?

Screenshot_20210913-061518_eBay.jpg

Buy these + have a couple other levers of your choice, and you won't have trouble changing the rear. I've done it a few times, and actually will bring these out to break the bead in the shop instead of my tire machine.

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

I have the same.
Have to figure out what i want to do for the tools (Have a tooltube on the XT660Z and the Cosstourer and probably will find a way to fix one on the T7 as well. Then i can take along a standard toolset allways.

Bought myself one of these,  expensive but very nice,  has a quality feel came with five 12" and two 17" tyre irons, the 17" one have nice anodised aluminium handles, after many year of struggling and skinned knuckles I can justify the expense, it all fits nicely in the carry bag

20211113_123309.jpg

20211113_123321.jpg

20211113_124250.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/4/2021 at 7:43 PM, Innocente46 said:

I'm wondering, soon I'll be changing my rear tyre, and although I've changed several on my 501 and 701 before that, I'm genuinely not looking forward to changing the rear on the T7.

That 'safety bead/rib' that runs round the inside of the rim, I'm thinking of sanding this off in order to make tyre changing easier (certainly trail-side easier!).

Have any of you consider this?

Screenshot_20210913-061518_eBay.jpg

I'd think it would take much more than sanding to get rid of those safety beads, more like grinding or machining, which then may affect structural integrity of the rim. 

I removed my T7's OEM rear tire the other day; first time those beads had been broken and as I'd read elsewhere breaking them was indeed a bear. When my normal bead breaker method didn't work, I resorted to the hydraulic press. In the process of sealing the rim now and I'll be running it tubeless from now on, then hopefully any flats can be fixed with external string plugs.

20211113_143639.thumb.jpg.e749c150e4a2834917484684d22a35af.jpg

20211113_143647.thumb.jpg.567066e8a072db9e34c4b9f9b0f9eeb6.jpg 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 8:07 PM, Landshark said:

I'm not so sure you would be satisfied with that device.  It would break the bead a lot easier however it doesn't appear to hold the rim in place to prevent it from spinning when using the tire irons.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  Also, it's good to bolt any tire machine to the floor to stop it from moving around and adding frustration to the job.  

That said, for the price, it may make it a lot easier to replace a tyre.

This is what I have.  Look for something like this. 

20210507_123200.thumb.jpg.cbd17b9c4d4e51e41dfdd26efdfabef5.jpg

Is this the Harbor Freight?  If so, is that the original rod that goes through the axle?  Been looking at it and motorcycle part gets some bad reviews.  I'd be interested in your opinion about its usability.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 2:10 PM, TimeMachine said:

I used the OlmaxMotors tire changer for the first time recently. What a great piece of gear that is.

464428469_TireChangerOlmaxMotors.thumb.jpg.9a39373774649f6d4195e42435d22b72.jpg

1194929502_OlmaxMotorstirechangeronbench.thumb.jpg.05733200816f4dd87bc3eec5ff1e8d1a.jpg

My first attempt was to change a Motoz Desert HT 140/80x18 rear for another Desert HT. To complicate things, the wheel is a 2.5x18 Excel Takasago and running the Tubliss kit. The narrower rim generally makes things a little more cramped and running Tubliss requires a different approach to fitment (which actually helps I think). A complete tire change could be done in under 5 minutes, from breaking the bead to having the new tire mounted. I took less than 10 minutes without even trying, and most of that unrelated to using the machine.

The main benefit of this, other than ease of use, is to protect the rims. The "duck" at the end means the rim is never touched by levers. A couple of simple tricks is to use plenty of lube and some bead holders to hold the tire down into the centre of the rim while you twirl the handle. It would also be possible to mount it to a ute/truck tailgate and is compact for storage.

The problems with this kit are that the centre mounting pole is 20mm which only fits motorcycle back wheels or car wheels. It should be possible to machine a thinner pole, sleeve and locking wedge to suit a front wheel. It also needs to be mounted firmly which can be done using two bolts that protrude down through a bench or stand. And delivery takes a few months.

I'll try to get the next tire change on video and show how easy it can be done.  

I just changed my Tenere 700 front with this.  The 20mm axle fit fine, because the T7's front axle is 22mm.  If you need a 17" axle post for another bike, you can get one from Olmax as well.  I really like it.  Very easy to use, impossible to mark up your rims.  You do want lots of good lube, though - I used dishsoap and water initially and found that it slowed me down a lot (and washed the red dot off my tire?  I've never had that happen before) - a proper paste lube works MUCH better on the tire changer head.20211130_150404.thumb.jpg.776d893af26aa94645b4d1f4e40edf30.jpg

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Is this the Harbor Freight?  If so, is that the original rod that goes through the axle?  Been looking at it and motorcycle part gets some bad reviews.  I'd be interested in your opinion about its usability.

I don't think it's the Harbour Freight brand.  I supplied my own cold rolled steel bars that drop through the wheel bearing.  One is a bit larger in diameter than the other to accommodate both front and rear wheel bearings.  All other bars were supplied with the machine.  My tire machine works great and saves a lot of frustration.  I use it liberally as it's right at my house in my work area.  It's not the best machine to use if you're worried about scratching the rims.  The other device I use is a tire tube valve stem puller.  What a blessing that tools is.  

• Like 1