Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Enduristan or Kriega (or something else)?

Burnsey

All done!

R&G racks off and sold.

Kriega OS Base and two 12L OS bags.

The Kriega solution is simple, high quality and couldn't think of a better way to travel. I have the Mosko Nomax tank bag, but will alternate this between the tank and back seat, which is helped by the OS base. All takes less than a minute to attach and much less to remove.

The R&G/AS racks, any racks to be fair, are designed to be universal, so a specific mounting solution will always work more seamlessly. 

When I recover from the initial accessories spend, I'll get a pair of 6L OS bags for weekend trips and general bimbling about.

Edited by Burnsey
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Burnsey said:

All done!

R&G racks off and sold.

Kriega OS Base and two 12L OS bags.

The Kriega solution is simple, high quality and couldn't think of a better way to travel. I have the Mosko Nomax tank bag, but will alternate this between the tank and back seat, which is helped by the OS base. All takes less than a minute to attach and much less to remove.

The R&G/AS racks, any racks to be fair, are designed to be universal, so a specific mounting solution will always work more seamlessly. 

When I recover from the initial accessories spend, I'll get a pair of 6L OS bags for weekend trips and general bimbling about.

Can you share some photos of your final set-up?

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Frances said:

Can you share some photos of your final set-up?

Storms here today, so likely that the bike will not see daylight this week, I thought I would pop some manufacturer images up to give you an idea.

All are using the 12L bags.

Loads of exhaust clearance and well positioned on the rear.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.jpeg

Edited by Burnsey
  • Like 1

Are you using a Kriega OS base with your bags?  I put an Adv Spec rear rack on my bike so I am wondering if/how the bags would fit on the back of my bike with that rear rack.

6 minutes ago, Frances said:

Are you using a Kriega OS base with your bags?  I put an Adv Spec rear rack on my bike so I am wondering if/how the bags would fit on the back of my bike with that rear rack.

Yes, I am using an OS base and the application and fit is perfect.

I had similar (R&G) racks and found they don't make them to fit any specific luggage, so couldn't get the perfect fitI wanted, so took them off in place of the base.

They will fit fine with the AS racks I guess, but they fit perfect with the base.

I saw your photos with the R&G racks.  You had the side racks.  I only have the rear top rack.  I am wondering how the OS base would work with this.

Adventure-Spec Yamaha Tenere 700 Rear Top Luggage Rack35.jpeg

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Frances said:

I saw your photos with the R&G racks.  You had the side racks.  I only have the rear top rack.  I am wondering how the OS base would work with this.

Adventure-Spec Yamaha Tenere 700 Rear Top Luggage Rack35.jpeg

Sorry, now I get you.

I suppose it is all about where the fixing points are, so hope the below helps.

The distance from the back of the seat to the base is shown with a tape and I confirm the front sits exactly at the front/rear seat join.

Effectively, the base could pass through a rack just between the front and back OEM anchor points,

Hope that helps?

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Edited by Burnsey
  • Like 1

Just to give an idea i put my Mosko Moto R40 and R80 on for a picture. Still not decided what i do with the back for strapping the Mosko's to.
The R40 i use for daily riding and weekends. I Also use him as daily driver all year round switching between the Crosstourer.
For now i strapped the Stinger 8 tailpack that comes standard with the R40 on the pillion seat for my lunchbox but sometimes i need to pick up something or some groceries. That's why i choose to use the R40 as a standard.
2 time a week i go to the grocery store and than i use the Crosstourer on which i have the Mosko Moto Backcountry 35L panniers.
IMG_20211101_153546.thumb.jpg.8c846bc29082e2178935de4fe5c138f3.jpg

IMG_20211101_153603.thumb.jpg.1bceaf3e1576169e8a6b625d021c5788.jpg

The R80 is for longer trips like the trip to the North Cape coming July.

IMG_20211101_153947.thumb.jpg.79795bca18f42793da05bdfe0a712333.jpg

The R40 i can extend with the standard Stinger 8 or the 22 from the R80 and the R80 has space under the beavertail for the standard stinger 22 or the 30L duffel.

IMG_20211101_154007.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Burnsey said:

Sorry, now I get you.

I suppose it is all about where the fixing points are, so hope the below helps.

The distance from the back of the seat to the base is shown with a tape and I confirm the front sits exactly at the front/rear seat join.

Effectively, the base could pass through a rack just between the front and back OEM anchor points,

Hope that helps?

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

So if I am understanding correctly, the base could be moved back to a point where it fits between the four anchor points, without covering or partially covering the front ones? Or is it too wide where it will cover 2 of the 4? Can you post a pic with the base placed on the seat showing all 4 anchor points still exposed? This would be necessary to be compatible with this Adventure Spec rear rack.

The Universal base would need to be used, since the fixed front straps are not adjustable on the T7 specific base to allow it to be placed farther back on the seat.

25 minutes ago, Camstyn said:

So if I am understanding correctly, the base could be moved back to a point where it fits between the four anchor points, without covering or partially covering the front ones? Or is it too wide where it will cover 2 of the 4? Can you post a pic with the base placed on the seat showing all 4 anchor points still exposed? This would be necessary to be compatible with this Adventure Spec rear rack.

The Universal base would need to be used, since the fixed front straps are not adjustable on the T7 specific base to allow it to be placed farther back on the seat.

It's tight, almost as it was designed to fit exactly past the bobbins. It does have some flex, but I'd say id will ride up a little because the angle to the securing straps is disturbed.

Personally, I would find the perfect position and cut a hole for the front bobbins and have a seamstress finish them off so as not to fray.

It comes off my bike, which is chained up in a tight spot, so the pic is the best I can get until it is out later this week I'm afraid.

Unknown.jpeg

Edited by Burnsey
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Burnsey said:

It's tight, almost as it was designed to fit exactly past the bobbins. It does have some flex, but I'd say id will ride up a little because the angle to the securing straps is disturbed.

Personally, I would find the perfect position and cut a hole for the front bobbins and have a seamstress finish them off so as not to fray.

It comes off my bike, which is chained up in a tight spot, so the pic is the best I can get until it is out later this week I'm afraid.

Unknown.jpeg

I think you’re right, cutting holes or slots for the front would be the best solution

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Camstyn said:

I think you’re right, cutting holes or slots for the front would be the best solution

I extended the lower straps with an extra loop to move the base aft a little & it had the added bonus of exposing those two front bobbins you’re  after through the stock base slots. No cuts required. Top of the base is now pulled back far as it can go, tucking under the Kriega bobbins

Why they didn’t offer some adjustment like their universal base is beyond me. 

E036243B-2D30-42EF-BF84-36F15DC35CA4.jpeg

C50DE0EF-CA90-46CC-804E-1EDCA12A512D.jpeg

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great thread!

I’ve been kicking around my luggage options and have decided on on a rackless system with vinyl tape to protect the bodywork. This should be economical, simple, inexpensive, and lightweight.

I’m pretty sold on Burnsey’s Kriega OS set up with two 12l bags. Any problems mounting the T7 specific OS to a rally seat?

Thanks!

ps- those Kriega photos of the black T 7 are gorgeous. That luggage looks like it really belongs on that bike. Their vid of the one minute install is great too.

• Like 2

I went with the Dry Spec 20L, on AdventureSpec  side and tail rack. To add to the house of cards, my T7 has a Camel Adventure tail tidy, led signals, and the Huzar exhaust. But it seems to fit fine. I got the DrySpec bags from Revzilla as demo bags for $139. And the old BMW Motorrad tail bag.

41E68522-854A-4BA0-B35F-1DE73B98DE59.jpeg

Edited by Bmp4510
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Frisco said:

Great thread!

I’ve been kicking around my luggage options and have decided on on a rackless system with vinyl tape to protect the bodywork. This should be economical, simple, inexpensive, and lightweight.

I’m pretty sold on Burnsey’s Kriega OS set up with two 12l bags. Any problems mounting the T7 specific OS to a rally seat?

Thanks!

ps- those Kriega photos of the black T 7 are gorgeous. That luggage looks like it really belongs on that bike. Their vid of the one minute install is great too.

I ended up buying the 6L bags too 😂 so have 12L and 24L options now. The 6L are hardly noticeable and very handy.

Following a couple of failed  attempts with protection stickers, I went 'naked'. To be fair, that rear panel isn't massively expensive, so can be swapped out, but what's a few rub marks in the scheme of things?

I don't have a rally seat (OEM low), but cannot imagine any fitting issues. The base has flex and the rally profile isn't dissimilar enough to cause any I'd say.

Nothing to do with luggage, but interestingly, those manufacturer shots show the DonnerTech crossbar mount. Was a solution I eventually decided upon, but they don't send to UK. 

• Like 1

Ended up scoring a lightly used T7 kriega base on eBay. Waiting to decide between a 16 and 12L bag. The bike came with outback racks for side cases I can throw back on if I ever find a way to justify the cost of side cases.

1 hour ago, frivoloushobby said:

Ended up scoring a lightly used T7 kriega base on eBay. Waiting to decide between a 16 and 12L bag. The bike came with outback racks for side cases I can throw back on if I ever find a way to justify the cost of side cases.

You have 6/12/18 options in the OS range.

6 are pretty small, obviously and 18 quite large on the Tenere, but all have a purpose.

48 minutes ago, Burnsey said:

You have 6/12/18 options in the OS range.

6 are pretty small, obviously and 18 quite large on the Tenere, but all have a purpose.

Got ya! I was leaning towards 2x12s and eventually an 18 secured between them when needed

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, frivoloushobby said:

Got ya! I was leaning towards 2x12s and eventually an 18 secured between them when needed

They are pretty good to be fair, as you can mix and match.

I have the 6L on all the time now and can add a 12L to the back seat if extra space needed. Then when I go on a trip, swap out to the 12L x 2 and carry the 6L x 2 for stacking on the back seat (either just flat on the seat,or in the other bags. Total 36L is enough for every eventuality for me and keeps the space as small as possible.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Burnsey said:

I ended up buying the 6L bags too 😂 so have 12L and 24L options now. The 6L are hardly noticeable and very handy.

Following a couple of failed  attempts with protection stickers, I went 'naked'. To be fair, that rear panel isn't massively expensive, so can be swapped out, but what's a few rub marks in the scheme of things?

Nothing to do with luggage, but interestingly, those manufacturer shots show the DonnerTech crossbar mount. Was a solution I eventually decided upon, but they don't send to UK. 

Did the bags wear through your vinyl tape? I thought it would hold up.

11 minutes ago, Frisco said:

Did the bags wear through your vinyl tape? I thought it would hold up.

No, I tried a couple of different tape options and thought it looked gash, so will just run without.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2021 at 3:23 PM, Burnsey said:

Unknown.jpeg

I'm looking at the Kriega bags for my Tenere. I currently have the HEED grab bars shown below on the rear. Do you think this would cause any fitting issues? It seems like the bend in the bars is far enough back that it wouldn't affect the fastening strap. Maybe it would push the bags out a little further from what i'm seeing,? but i'm curious to get your thoughts on this and how much "wiggle room" these bags have for fasteneing. 

Aside from that, cuious how easy to clean these are? They seem to have a rubberized surface, but I want to ensure they can just be hosed off easily enough.

Thanks!

1943530274_HeedGrabBar.thumb.JPG.9e87a54c4a1d8298d6d54f630db70aa7.JPG

22 minutes ago, CamT said:

I'm looking at the Kriega bags for my Tenere. I currently have the HEED grab bars shown below on the rear. Do you think this would cause any fitting issues? It seems like the bend in the bars is far enough back that it wouldn't affect the fastening strap. Maybe it would push the bags out a little further from what i'm seeing,? but i'm curious to get your thoughts on this and how much "wiggle room" these bags have for fasteneing. 

Aside from that, cuious how easy to clean these are? They seem to have a rubberized surface, but I want to ensure they can just be hosed off easily enough.

Thanks!

1943530274_HeedGrabBar.thumb.JPG.9e87a54c4a1d8298d6d54f630db70aa7.JPG

Are you going for the base,or just the bags?

The base front strap travels to the pillion peg, then doubles back on itself, so that looks like that aspect would be fine.

The extra width the bars add is a tough one to see on that pic, but the base doesn't pass that spot, so the bags will connect to it.Ehether the 18L would be awkward I'm not sure, but would say 6 and 12L no problem.

If not using the base, I'm not sure how you'd look to fix them.

I removed the pegs and bought these, which again in your set up, would eliminate any issues, but try without first maybe. I just found it easier to have a specific fixing point.

Provides an alternative mounting location for the front straps on an OS-BASE YAMAHA TENERE 700 when the rear footrests are removed. Available in two options for bikes with a Standard Seat or a Rally...

They attract dirt and it sticks. They wash fine, but you have to manually scrub, as opposed to a quick jet wash.

Edited by Burnsey
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Burnsey said:

Are you going for the base,or just the bags?

The base front strap travels to the pillion peg, then doubles back on itself, so that looks like that aspect would be fine.

The extra width the bars add is a tough one to see on that pic, but the base doesn't pass that spot, so the bags will connect to it.Ehether the 18L would be awkward I'm not sure, but would say 6 and 12L no problem.

If not using the base, I'm not sure how you'd look to fix them.

I removed the pegs and bought these, which again in your set up, would eliminate any issues, but try without first maybe. I just found it easier to have a specific fixing point.

Provides an alternative mounting location for the front straps on an OS-BASE YAMAHA TENERE 700 when the rear footrests are removed. Available in two options for bikes with a Standard Seat or a Rally...

They attract dirt and it sticks. They wash fine, but you have to manually scrub, as opposed to a quick jet wash.

Thank you. I plan to use the base , but also great to know they make the links  so I can get rid of the foot pegs. In the photo in the link you sent, on that bike it's a good view of how high up the bags actually sit, so I think I should be good to go.