Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tusk Crashbars: Installation review.

Splix

This is my first official upgrade.  Bike  still has less than 50m on it. I hope to see some dirt this afternoon, so I wanted the bars installed.

The cost of this shipped to UT, USA was just under $220. I like the coverage layout of these bars quite a bit. I worry I may still need a lower bar, or engine guard bar for the lower area of the bike.

Installation instructions were quite good. I never felt lost or confused. I used the "slow and steady wins the race methodology", The install was fairly painless and took me just under an hour start to finish. I recommend ratcheting wrenches, it helped out quite a bit when mounting the brace behind the headlight. Stock parts were 12mm, replacement parts were 13mm for wrench sizing.

I hope to never find out how good these bars are, but it is likely at some point this year I'll give an updated review after tipping over on a journey.  

Bars are black, bike is black in back drop so it's not standing out a ton in photos. I like the look of the bars mounted. Happy with this purchase so far, we'll see how they hold up and perform. 

after-1.png

after-2.png

after-3.png

before.png

• Like 3

I went up the canyon today. The road is VERY rocky, really shook me up at points climbing. I am so green and rusty, after about 30 minutes off road it started to get easier, I picked better lines, only touched the skid plate once on the way back down. I  have read that the stock  plate is quite good on the T7, so I am only going to upgrade if I feel like I  push the bike beyond the limits of it.

I cam across some mountain goats on the way back down. I have seen them up on the  cliffs, but never down so close to the road.

first_dirt.png

image.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JRS700 said:

Those are sheep, not goats.

I have always called them mountain goats, but sheep is likely correct. They are native to the mountains, in 20 years I have never seen them down on the road until yesterday.

18 hours ago, JRS700 said:

Those are sheep, not goats.

We use the phrase ‘A rose by any other name would smell as sweet’ today to indicate that things are what they are, no matter what name you give them.

This line – ‘A rose by any other name would smell as sweet’ – is a quotation from William Shakespeare’s play Romeo and Juliet, spoken by Juliet Capulet (Act 2, Scene 2) to herself whilst on her balcony, but overheard by Romeo Montague.

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 7:21 PM, Splix said:

I went up the canyon today. The road is VERY rocky, really shook me up at points climbing. I am so green and rusty, after about 30 minutes off road it started to get easier, I picked better lines, only touched the skid plate once on the way back down. I  have read that the stock  plate is quite good on the T7, so I am only going to upgrade if I feel like I  push the bike beyond the limits of it.

Stock skid plate is terrible.

upgrade that quick if you are off-road at all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, scytale said:

Stock skid plate is terrible.

upgrade that quick if you are off-road at all.

I've been keeping a close eye on it. I am not a very aggressive rider yet and have only hit the plate once, with no visual evidence of it. If I get comfortable enough to be more aggressive I'll likely get a new plate and upgrade the suspension to aftermarket. I'm a bigger guy, that always makes suspension a more difficult solve. 

• Like 1