Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

MC Cruise Control

NWrider

MC Cruise Control from Australia has an electronic/servo controlled cruise control for the T700.   Has anyone on the forum installed one on their T700?  I'd like some feedback on how it works e.g. how close it matches the speed setting and how abruptly it compensates on up/down road transitions.   Also, I have GIVI crash bars installed and the servo looks like there might be interference where the upper mount attaches near the radiator.

Here's an early development video of the MC Cruise Control that shows the mounting location of the servo:

I'm really going to miss the CC on the T7 ( I have it on the Crosstourer) but i in think putting stuff like this on an bike like the T7 is a smart move, unless you don't ride offroad but then again why buy a T7?
Everything not on the bike cannot brake when you go down and offroad is not the question if you go down but how often.

At 76 years old, I'm not doing any technical off road riding anymore.   Gravel, dirt roads and less technical two track primarily in AZ and Idaho are in the cards but getting to some riding areas =  some long two lane highways where CC is welcome.    The adventure bike layout suits me perfectly.    I bought my T-7 from my 78 year old brother who, after 300 miles, decided he needed a lighter bike.

• Like 8

That explains a lot and totally understandable.
I think they worked it out quite well, if it's the company i think it is they do lots of cruise controls for bikes that don't have it from the factory.

Hi- new to the site. I had an 1120 mile ride to get my Tenere home from Los Angeles to Portland. Before I picked it up I got the Atlas Throttle Lock. I rode freeways and highways. Day 1, 140 miles, Day 2 380 miles, Day 3 600 miles. I used the Atlas unit almost continuously. It doesn't hold speed, just throttle position. I wrote a review about it for Ultimate Motorcycling ( I am an author at large for them). Here is a link if you are interested. Summary: saved by 70 year old wrist! 

atlas-throtte-lock-test-adventure-motorc

The Atlas Throttle Lock was born out of necessity when the creator broke his wrist on a long motorcycle tour. Here's our review.

2 hours ago, NWrider said:

At 76 years old...

I bought my T-7 from my 78 year old brother.....

Cool as heck!!

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• 1 month later...

Update: I've installed the McCruise control on my T-7.  Other than a bit more effort required to overcome the extra cable that links the throttle opening cable to a drum that allows a connection to the servo cable, it's pretty transparent.   The most fiddly part is pulling the tach and speed sensor wires out of the ECU plug and replacing the wires and connectors with the sub harness from the CC.    I have to say it's at the top of the list in it's ability to track within +\- 1 to 2 mph even with an abrupt transition from a 10% uphill grade to a 10% downhill grade.   I've only been using it for the past 100 miles or so to test it.   However, so far I'd recommend it.  Their documentation is first rate and their assistance if/when required is very responsive.   Good company.

Other bikes I have with CC are a 2015 Tiger 800, 2020 MG V85tt (the best next to the McCruise), 2003 Honda GL1800 (the worst but it's very old tech) and my 2012 1200 Tenere that I installed a Rostra automotive electronic CC  which is slow to engage and doesn't handle up/down hill transitions nearly as well as the McCruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is awesome.  I’ve got partial arthritis in my hands and use my Kaoko every chance I get.  Definitely looking forward to seeing this once it’s done.  👍

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2021 at 10:47 AM, NeilW said:

Hi- new to the site. I had an 1120 mile ride to get my Tenere home from Los Angeles to Portland. Before I picked it up I got the Atlas Throttle Lock. I rode freeways and highways. Day 1, 140 miles, Day 2 380 miles, Day 3 600 miles. I used the Atlas unit almost continuously. It doesn't hold speed, just throttle position. I wrote a review about it for Ultimate Motorcycling ( I am an author at large for them). Here is a link if you are interested. Summary: saved by 70 year old wrist! 

atlas-throtte-lock-test-adventure-motorc

The Atlas Throttle Lock was born out of necessity when the creator broke his wrist on a long motorcycle tour. Here's our review.

Do you know if the Atlas works with the Oxford heated grips installed?

2 hours ago, doniv said:

Do you know if the Atlas works with the Oxford heated grips installed?

I do not but this should help. It fits in the 1/4 inch space between the far left most edge of the grip and the throttle housing. If the space is there it will be work. You can reach out to Atlas. They are very responsive also. I use mine all the time 

C3367DCC-9423-43F0-A5FF-18FBA436DBF1.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NeilW said:

I do not but this should help. It fits in the 1/4 inch space between the far left most edge of the grip and the throttle housing. If the space is there it will be work. You can reach out to Atlas. They are very responsive also. I use mine all the time 

C3367DCC-9423-43F0-A5FF-18FBA436DBF1.jpeg

Thanks, it does. Is this the "top" kit or the "bottom" kit? I'm curious as to why you've set it in that position vs having the buttons as close to your thumb as possible. Do you have any experience with the Kaoko? I'm wondering whether the button operation of the Atlas will suit the characteristics of the bike more vs the Kaoko, especially since my T7 is very sensitive to throttle inputs given the mods.

3 minutes ago, doniv said:

Thanks, it does. Is this the "top" kit or the "bottom" kit? I'm curious as to why you've set it in that position vs having the buttons as close to your thumb as possible. Do you have any experience with the Kaoko? I'm wondering whether the button operation of the Atlas will suit the characteristics of the bike more vs the Kaoko, especially since my T7 is very sensitive to throttle inputs given the mods.

I just read about the kaoko. Check their web site for your hand guard compatibility. I have Touratech so the kaoko wouldn’t work on my bike. Similar friction function. The atlas can be bought with top or bottom buttons. Please read my review. I really didn’t understand the difference until I used it and realized I should have gotten bottom buttons. Check with atlas if your grip wires require top or bottom buttons. If equal then get bottom. You move your thumb less. This is from the atlas web site “

The Top Kit was designed for motorcycles with certain interferences.

- Throttles with heated grip wires on the lower half of the grip

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, NeilW said:

I just read about the kaoko. Check their web site for your hand guard compatibility. I have Touratech so the kaoko wouldn’t work on my bike. Similar friction function. The atlas can be bought with top or bottom buttons. Please read my review. I really didn’t understand the difference until I used it and realized I should have gotten bottom buttons. Check with atlas if your grip wires require top or bottom buttons. If equal then get bottom. You move your thumb less. This is from the atlas web site “

The Top Kit was designed for motorcycles with certain interferences.

- Throttles with heated grip wires on the lower half of the grip

Just to add I have the 2021 Tenere 700. What is different about your throttle input than mine? Sensitivity is something to learn to get along with. I had a problem with diving the front end EVERY time I touched the front brake and I am a 99 percent front beaker, even in the dirt- after a few thousand miles I don’t dive the front end any more. 

• 3 months later...

I installed the mc cruise 1 month ago, and it worth every penny. Kit are bikes specific and it work like a factory installed cruise control.

• Like 1