Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Michelin Anakee Wild - great traction and good lifespan

PackinDirt

After I toasted the stock tires, I opted for a much more aggressive tire.  The Michelin Anakee Wild seemed like a good fit for most of the riding I do in the Northeastern US (mud, rocks, roots, back roads, etc.).  I'd say that my riding is 50/50 but when I do go off-road, it's OFF-ROAD.  I have a Rabaconda tire changer (stop procrastinating and just get one) and the Anakee Wild tires mounted up easily with little to no swearing or skinned knuckles.

As with most knobbies, there's road noise but it's not intrusive.  I wear earplugs and wind noise takes over from tire noise at around 45mph anyway.  On-road, these tires turn in quickly and grip fairly well in all conditions.  They have relatively short knobs so this is expected.  The only time I broke the rear free on pavement was hard acceleration in 2nd gear in a tight corner and leaned over pretty far.  That's not at all the fault of the tire as I was searching for the limit.  Fine, don't do that again.  But otherwise it's a really good tire on the road.

In the woods, this tire hooks up nearly as well as a full, deep knobbie.  I've run the classic D606/MT21 setup on my XR650L for years and the Anakee Wild is almost that good.  Due to those short knobs, you do sacrifice a little in really deep mud but they've never left me stuck, just searching for a bit more grip.  Get on the throttle and hope no one's behind you.  The side holding is pretty good as well, allowing you to cross back and forth on a trail to find the line.  On wet rocks, they're fine.  No problem in sand either.

I'm a big guy (240 lbs.), I've upgraded the suspension (Hyperpro from TouraTech), and I run 24psi front and 26psi in the rear.  When loaded with camping gear and bashing through the woods, I never felt like I was going to get a pinch flat even when I misplaced the front and whacked a big rock.  No damage to the tire or rim.  Phew!

I got nearly 7k miles out of the first set and probably could have ridden them on the street for another 1k.  The blocks were worn but still hooked up pretty well.

I'm on my second set and will probably order a third set for doing the TAT next summer.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been trying to find a Anakee Wild tire set. Seem most have the rear tire, but the front 90/90-21 is out of stock everywhere. Where did you find yours?

I’m also confused that that there seems to be both radial and biased ply tries. At least for the rear. The front 90/90-21 appears to be biased only? Which ones are you running? Thanks 

Also interested in this tire setup for my T7 when I can get one (hoping well before spring so I can tinker and do some add ons, such as the tires). But also curious where the front can be gotten from?

thanks!

I do remember that it was a challenge to find a matching set this spring (and it's not getting any easier).  I had my order money refunded by 2 websites after I put in an order.  I think I visited 10-12 websites until I found both a front and a rear.

As with most setups, the rear was toast before the front.  Probably a 2-to-1 ratio.  I'm heavy handed so that's not a surprise.

Bias ply vs. radial?  Don't know.  Just ordered what fit and ran it with a tube.

Although I've had great luck with the Anakee Wild, I might go to something with a slightly deeper tread for the TAT next year.  Still not sure, though.  I did the TAT two years ago on my XR650L with the D606/MT21 combo and that was great.  Replaced both in Colorado but I think the Anakees would go the entire distance.  We're planning on around 5500 miles and I'm getting 6k out of the rear.  In retrospect, we didn't really come across anything that would have stopped the T7 with Anakee Wilds.

Happy hunting!

• Like 1

Considering a Mitas EO-7+ rear paired with a Mitas E-10 front for grip.  Plenty of grip and tread life for that trip.  And they're available!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to call Michelin directly and ask them the following questions;

1. Can you run the bias front tire with the radial back tire.

2. Any issues running a radial tire with a tube.

3. Several months ago, I saw Wilds for sale where either the front tire was available in both bias and radial for the 90/90-21 front tire. ( Or old age has crept up and I saw the rear tire offered in either bias or radial. ) Was that still an option?

4. Where can I purchase the 90/90-21 tire?

After calling the main line and several transfers, I was speaking with a pleasant gentleman. Starting on my list of questions I asked about running a bias front with a radial rear tire. His immediate was response was Never mixed radial and bias tires. But he wanted to check it out, and after a 5 minute hold came back and said Michelin said the Tenere 700 was the exception to the rule and they recommended the bias front and radial rear tire combination. Odd….

As to the radial tire with a tube question, he reassured me that I didn’t need to run a tube on the rear of the bike. I explained the T7 has a spoked wheel that necessitated a tube to retain the air. He was surprised by this, and said he was going to write that down, that a spoked rim required the use of tubes. Odd…..

As far as the question  that Michelin offered either the front or rear tires in either bias or radials he couldn’t find any information on it.

During the conversation I was put on hold several times, while the rep contacted other company personnel to either get answers or corroborate the information he had. The gentleman tried his best and was extremely polite and concerned with getting the correct answers to my questions. The rep did take my email and said he would send any additional information he could find. I waited a day before posting this in hopes further information, but none has been forthcoming.

After hanging up, I decided to give up on the Anakee Wilds for the T7. Between the bias and radial conflicting information on if the tire manufacturer recommended the pairing of them on the T7, the lack of manufacturer knowledge and the difficulty in finding the front tire I’ve had enough. I think I’ll move on and look into the Battlax

• Like 2

Why can't you mix a radial and a bias tire front or rear.  What could go wrong?  I'm sure I've done this in the past.  

22 minutes ago, Landshark said:

Why can't you mix a radial and a bias tire front or rear.  What could go wrong?  I'm sure I've done this in the past.  

Pretty sure that's the exact set-up from Yamaha on every T7; bias front and radial rear Scorpion Rally STR. That's part of the reason I've been running a bias front Dunlop Mission and radial rear Conti TKC70 Rocks on my R1200GS for thousands of miles with no ill effects.

So, in the end, I have abandoned the Anakee Wilds as well.  I'm going with a set of Motoz Tractionator Adventure front and back.

I really liked the Anakee Wilds for all the reasons I listed above but I need something more aggressive and longer lasting.  We'll see.  There have been some reports of the front being a bit squirrely on pavement.

If no one has posted their experience with these tires on a T7, I will do so next summer.

• Like 2

I don’t have a specific reason why you can’t run bias in the front and radial in the back. Perhaps it’s memory’s from my past HD bagger days, when both bike and tire dealerships were adamant to run the same type of tire front and back on those heavy bikes. And there were people who did run different brands and types together back then.

I will go check to see if my OEM STR’s are bias front and radial back tires. I fell rather silly now that you bring that up and I never thought to check it before!

iirc

Bias tends to be more bulgy, fatter & tougher - more suitable for heavier load & less lean application.

Radial tends to be more slim & pointy, soft(bouncier?) & can have an easier time to get different material composition at different spots - better for pivoting style of rolling/turning.

Edited by TimmyTheHog

Jdub. You were correct. The OEM STR’s are biased in front and radial in back. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

• Like 1

Has anyone experience with running a 80/90 anakee wild on the front? With the 1.85 rim it should fit but it's not the original tire size. The reason is that the 90/90 is out of stock everywhere, but the 80/90 is available. 

Managed to get my hands on a rear Anakee Wild but couldn't find a front so went with the Pirelli MT21 in front. New shoes mounted yesterday, going to go try to shred some dirt tomorrow. 🙂

1 (5).jpeg

• Like 2

I did find the 90/90-21 front online at Sierra BMW if that helps, but they didn’t stock the back.

That's funny.  I've found a couple tires from Sierra BMW as well.  Too late; the secret's out.

The MT21 is a great front tire and should compliment the Anakee Wild rear just fine.  With a relatively soft sidewall, make sure you have 22-23psi in the MT21 to avoid pinch flats or a damaged rim.  It's a tad harsher when riding off-road but you might avoid a flat.  It's what I run on my loaded XR so it's only a few pounds less than the T7.  Especially with my butt on board.

• 1 year later...
On 12/1/2021 at 7:53 AM, PackinDirt said:

So, in the end, I have abandoned the Anakee Wilds as well.  I'm going with a set of Motoz Tractionator Adventure front and back.

I really liked the Anakee Wilds for all the reasons I listed above but I need something more aggressive and longer lasting.  We'll see.  There have been some reports of the front being a bit squirrely on pavement.

If no one has posted their experience with these tires on a T7, I will do so next summer.

I am riding Motoz Tractionator Adventure rear, and this is not negociable for many years now, and Anakee wild in the front for two times now; the best of two worlds.

12 hours ago, Explorer said:

I am riding Motoz Tractionator Adventure rear, and this is not negociable for many years now, and Anakee wild in the front for two times now; the best of two worlds.

That is a great combination. I run the more aggressive Rallz rear with the Anakee front.   I’m thinking the Rallz is probably over kill but oh well. I have another Rallz on standby then I’ll probably go with the tractionator adventure.  But that will be a while.  These tires wear great!!!  Unlike the Anakee rear.  2500 miles and it was done in my books.  VERY loud and knobs were getting really low.  

On 12/1/2021 at 7:42 AM, Bmp4510 said:

I decided to call Michelin directly and ask them the following questions;

1. Can you run the bias front tire with the radial back tire.

2. Any issues running a radial tire with a tube.

3. Several months ago, I saw Wilds for sale where either the front tire was available in both bias and radial for the 90/90-21 front tire. ( Or old age has crept up and I saw the rear tire offered in either bias or radial. ) Was that still an option?

4. Where can I purchase the 90/90-21 tire?

After calling the main line and several transfers, I was speaking with a pleasant gentleman. Starting on my list of questions I asked about running a bias front with a radial rear tire. His immediate was response was Never mixed radial and bias tires. But he wanted to check it out, and after a 5 minute hold came back and said Michelin said the Tenere 700 was the exception to the rule and they recommended the bias front and radial rear tire combination. Odd….

As to the radial tire with a tube question, he reassured me that I didn’t need to run a tube on the rear of the bike. I explained the T7 has a spoked wheel that necessitated a tube to retain the air. He was surprised by this, and said he was going to write that down, that a spoked rim required the use of tubes. Odd…..

As far as the question  that Michelin offered either the front or rear tires in either bias or radials he couldn’t find any information on it.

During the conversation I was put on hold several times, while the rep contacted other company personnel to either get answers or corroborate the information he had. The gentleman tried his best and was extremely polite and concerned with getting the correct answers to my questions. The rep did take my email and said he would send any additional information he could find. I waited a day before posting this in hopes further information, but none has been forthcoming.

After hanging up, I decided to give up on the Anakee Wilds for the T7. Between the bias and radial conflicting information on if the tire manufacturer recommended the pairing of them on the T7, the lack of manufacturer knowledge and the difficulty in finding the front tire I’ve had enough. I think I’ll move on and look into the Battlax

I've run two sets of battlax Road tyres on a bandit.

They squared off real fast and left me with a general cheap and nasty feeling. 

I'm looking at k60 rangers next foe the t7

Edited by sunndog