Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

High Fender.

stu uk

Hi anyone fitted a high fender? I'm just about to order one and can't decide between the Camel and the Altrider, any thoughts guys? .............pic for attention.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2316.jpg

• Like 2

Stu, I have the Altrider front fender and I am really happy with it.  It comes with an aluminum bracket that provides room for running the brake lines through and adds support.  I ordered both red and white but chose the white and returned the red, doesn't quite match. 

5FCFF432-EEA8-48F7-9678-A26B5E4EEFC2.jpeg

4B642F97-33E7-45F0-9431-96CBBE6664D5.jpeg

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Stu, I have the Altrider front fender and I am really happy with it.  It comes with an aluminum bracket that provides room for running the brake lines through and adds support.  I ordered both red and white but chose the white and returned the red, doesn't quite match. 

5FCFF432-EEA8-48F7-9678-A26B5E4EEFC2.jpeg

4B642F97-33E7-45F0-9431-96CBBE6664D5.jpeg

Hi DH this looks much simpler fit than  the Camel jobby, rgds Stu

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stu uk said:

Hi anyone fitted a high fender? I'm just about to order one and can't decide between the Camel and the Altrider, any thoughts guys? .............pic for attention.

Hello. I'm also thinking about the matter after the last mud jam I ran into last week.
Both seem like good solutions and with a similar price. However, the Camel ADV has a detail that does not convince me and that is that the brake lines go in front of the steering bars and then turn towards the rear of the calipers on the inside of the bars, next to the wheel . It seems to me that it is a very exposed configuration.
I keep trying to decide ...

barrizal-t7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

However, the Camel ADV has a detail that does not convince me and that is that the brake lines go in front of the steering bars and then turn towards the rear of the calipers on the inside of the bars, next to the wheel . It seems to me that it is a very exposed configuration.............................Exactly what I  was thinking OL'crazy that with the simpler fitting  has perseuaded me to go with the Altrider option, rgds Stu.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, stu uk said:

However, the Camel ADV has a detail that does not convince me and that is that the brake lines go in front of the steering bars and then turn towards the rear of the calipers on the inside of the bars, next to the wheel . It seems to me that it is a very exposed configuration.............................Exactly what I  was thinking OL'crazy that with the simpler fitting  has perseuaded me to go with the Altrider option, rgds Stu.

It is very likely that I also follow that path

• Like 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

Love my and its SO worth it. If u go with Camel ADV the 2008 KTM 690 smc fender fits perfectly while fully protecting the RAD and being long enough to not fling dirt up but not too long to look dorky

20211010_113028.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just saw that Altrider lowered their price on the high fender kit to $230.  Pretty good deal.

50 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Just saw that Altrider lowered their price on the high fender kit to $230.  Pretty good deal.

same price on RMATV, mine showed up Sunday. 

Imma be a nay sayer here. Sorry...

I have the high mount. Aside from looks, it's shitty, if you ride a lot of wet, dirt roads like I do. Mud and Shet are constantly flying off the tire and into your headlight, chest and face. The worst I encountered was riding a freshly oiled dirt road. By the time I got home, there was an easy quarter inch of Shet on my headlight and I kept having to stop to clean my visor. I'll upload a picture or 2 of it. I'm considering switching back to the low mount for this reason. Notice all the Shet on my headlight vs my friends KTM?PXL_20210416_181823667.thumb.jpg.c6274e5c9ff9adfe98975e733a978c6e.jpg

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, McMadMac said:

I have the high mount. Aside from looks, it's shitty, if you ride a lot of wet, dirt roads like I do. Mud and Shet are constantly flying off the tire and into your headlight, chest and face. The worst I encountered was riding a freshly oiled dirt road. By the time I got home, there was an easy quarter inch of Shet on my headlight and I kept having to stop to clean my visor. I'll upload a picture or 2 of it. I'm considering switching back to the low mount for this reason. Notice all the Shet on my headlight vs my friends KTM?PXL_20210416_181823667.thumb.jpg.c6274e5c9ff9adfe98975e733a978c6e.jpg

Needs a longer fender and that problem goes away.

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / TDR 250 / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

1 hour ago, McMadMac said:

How much longer does a guy go without looking goofy? PXL_20210416_203244516.thumb.jpg.86a0c72ee46441796ae54790dd658bdb.jpg

I'm with madmac....a fender is supposed to keep you and your machine cleaner. And not look weird, ideally. I've gone back to stock fender. Haven't plugged it with mud, yet. I don't ride through wet freshly plowed fields, though.

Edited by ahamay
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, McMadMac said:

I have the high mount. Aside from looks, it's shitty, if you ride a lot of wet, dirt roads like I do. Mud and Shet are constantly flying off the tire and into your headlight, chest and face. The worst I encountered was riding a freshly oiled dirt road. By the time I got home, there was an easy quarter inch of Shet on my headlight and I kept having to stop to clean my visor. I'll upload a picture or 2 of it. I'm considering switching back to the low mount for this reason. Notice all the Shet on my headlight vs my friends KTM?

I have not decided to make the change yet, but your comment has made me doubt more than I already did ...

Isn't there a fender that, without making you look silly, does its job?

Doesn't it depend not only on the size but on the shape of the fender? More rectangular, for example?

• Like 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

Yeah, I'm sure that there's one that'll work. A full sized dirt bike fender will do the job I bet. Nothing comes out from the side of mine. It all comes from straight out the front, then up, into the light and wind screen. I can watch it do it in the dark, in the rain. Bottles the mind how sh!t comes straight out, defies gravity and ends up in your teeth.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, McMadMac said:

Precisely why I’ve stayed low up front. Function over fashion wins.

Consideration remains to eliminating the stock brake lines & their fragile  fender dependence though. A camel kit without the high fender looks a viable solution.

• Like 1

Definitely going to leave the kit on, just put the stock fender back on. I like the Camel kit, just not too fond of the high fender.

• Like 1

High fender looks great, mud cancelling  the headlight & clogging your smile, not so much…

Curious to know how the stock fender + Camel brake line compatibility works for you 

Edited by Hammerhead

I'm sure it'll be fine. It's one of my winter projects. Might look kinda strange, considering I shortened the fork guards as per Corey's instructions in the video because of the specific brand of fender I am running. But both of the mounting holes are still there, so it'll be fine.

7 hours ago, McMadMac said:

How much longer does a guy go without looking goofy? PXL_20210416_203244516.thumb.jpg.86a0c72ee46441796ae54790dd658bdb.jpg

I had the same problem  with the first fender I used.  I replaced it with a full sized dirt bike fender that was in Cory's  list of fenders that fit and the problem went away. Having been on rides that low fenders clogged up sith mud and caused all kinds of delays and broken parts for people a high fender was a must have for me.

IMGP2486.JPG

IMGP2491.JPG

Edited by Simmons1
  • Like 3

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / TDR 250 / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

Why not the best of both?

T7.jpg

Edited by BADDANDY
  • Like 2
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

8 hours ago, McMadMac said:

Yeah, I'm sure that there's one that'll work. A full sized dirt bike fender will do the job I bet. Nothing comes out from the side of mine. It all comes from straight out the front, then up, into the light and wind screen. I can watch it do it in the dark, in the rain. Bottles the mind how sh!t comes straight out, defies gravity and ends up in your teeth.

a simple mud flap afixed to the front of the mudguard (fender) does the job.   needs to be stiff enough not to fold back at speed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BADDANDY said:

T7.jpg

Any benefits having both high and low fender?

Mud still can block front wheel and cutted low fender front keeps spraying dirt forward even more.

7 hours ago, BADDANDY said:

Regardless of aesthetics, the purpose of the high fender is to prevent mud from clogging the front wheel. By keeping the rear of the low fender, the problem remains exactly the same.

• Like 2

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

But I can remove the lower fender if I get in such a bad mud situation and still have a front fender.  All lines now connect to upper fender making removal easy-peasey.  Also, I only lost 1/3 of the low fender with the cut, but have now regained that 1/3 with a rear extender.  On my last 3,000 mile trip, I only had to wipe the headlight and screen once about 2/3 of the way thru the trip. Bugs are a bigger issue which a fender can't fix.  Plus, the dirtbike fender is good for mounting a spare tube.  I've never had a mud issue on any of my dirtbikes either.  Everything tends to get muddy riding in mud.

Bridge.jpg

Edited by BADDANDY
  • Like 2
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450