Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

is the only way to protect the exhaust in a crash by installing a rack for panniers?

Johan Darras

Hello,

I have only just got my T7 and after a fall in a field road the exhaust is already bent. I am looking for a protection to avoid this because I will for sure fall again when going off road.  The only solution I see at the moment is to install a rack for luggage. I do not want to install a high exhaust. 
Any other solutions? Thank you for any suggestions or confirmations. 

I have installed a small rear rack and with some kriga bags on the top and side. 

The side ones when not being use for gear can be filled with food contains so as in the event of a fall they take the impact.

IMG_20210725_214254.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you @Johnneyflyguy for your swift answer. I was hesitating to buy Kriega OS-BASE for the Tenere 7. See pictures below. Because I am not sure what hits the ground first: 1st the exhaust or 1st the bags? Looking at your answer It are the bags according to you. 

kriega.png.14cd343acd85383f1ae6020beb497542.png393384545_kriega2.png.e73c6379d669857b91455fa217fe7e70.png

I am still waiting for my Tenere to arrive at the dealer, and I'm a novice off-road rider, so take this with a grain of salt, but below is one simple and inexpensive option I am considering in order to avoid the same problem. One potential downside of the slider is it might snag on things in close quarters. The other solution I see T7 owners use is to purchase one of the high exhaust kits.

Muffler/Exhaust Slider

s-l400.jpg

Muffler Exhaust Slider Guard is made frpm POM,provides high protection in case of fall. Mounts to OEM points with no modifications required. Due to the different display and different light,the pictures may not reflect...

Edited by cbeng83
  • Like 2

This piece will make things only worse.
When it falls on the exhaust the exhaust may dent and move inward but that can be pulled back.
With that thing all the force focusses on the mounting point moving it inward beyond bending it back or even brake off.
Crash protection always have to have 3 mounting points to distribute the force.
Single point protection only works when falling over at a stand still and then you have to try to keep him up so the bike doesn't drop to hard.

• Like 5

Thank you all for your input. I am more and more convinded to buy a luggage rack that is attached at 3 points. @johhneyflyguy, if you could confirm that 1st the bags hit the ground and not the exhaust (in the case of your set up). When I have that info I can take a decision 😃 

The Acerbis rubber protectors stop marks, but won't save a bend/dent etc.

Interestingly, on a flat surface, front bars, right footrest and brake pedal are the first contact points-I have dropped it enough to know!

SILENCER PROTECTOR PLASTICS ACCESSORIES motorcycle Acerbis code 0022754

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

With that thing all the force focusses on the mounting point moving it inward beyond bending it back or even brake off.

But isn't there way less leverage forces in play with a slider like that, the bracket will be stressed a whole lot less if it falls on that than on the outwards positioned exhaust I think.

In my humble opinion the only solution to solve the 'bending exhaust problem' is to install a high muffler.

HPCORSE, FRESCO, CAMEL...

Mine is here:

16303304054197.jpg

16303304053776.jpg

16303304053114.jpg

Edited by 365moto.eu
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Boyca said:

But isn't there way less leverage forces in play with a slider like that, the bracket will be stressed a whole lot less if it falls on that than on the outwards positioned exhaust I think.

Yes but no.

The muffler hangs in a bracket and that works as a dampner plus the force is also spread to the collector.

I debated the various bags and mountings and decided on the Bumot soft bags. One of my considerations was that I believe the bag frame may protect the muffler and it's frame mount.

spacer.png

above pic from

Gear for your next adventure...

My bike with bags;

After work ride Nov 10 2021 2021-11-10 016.JPG

So far (finders crossed) in 6000 miles I have only dropped the bike on the right side at a stand still, so cannot say diffinitively that the bag frames will protect the muffler.

Edited by norton73
  • Like 2

Another vote for a high exhaust.  The Huzar exhaust is cheaper than a lot of more elaborate racks particularly those that can actually protect anything.  The reality of the stock exhaust is that the most vulnerable part of it is the lowest, forwardmost part of the muffler, and it's impacts there that are going to bend it into the swingarm.  At least, I managed to bend my exhaust into the swingarm twice, and it didn't take particularly violent impacts to do it.  Both times hitting that bottommost corner.  

• Like 3

The solution is to stop worrying about it. My exhaust is stock, has been smashed countless times, is scratched and dented, and looks badass - or makes me look like a very unskilled rider? not too sure, not too bothered...

If it ever fails beyond repair (which is not likely since metal can always be bent back and welded) then I'm going the Camel route.   

If you buy luggage racks to specifically protect the pipe won't they get damaged? Will you then start looking for a way to protect your protection?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

@Samm The issue is not the exhaust scratching and denting ... but the fact that he dammages the swing arm. And that is a poblem. But I agree with you when this would not be a problem, protecting the exhaust is not needed. Because I want at te end to protect the swing arm, damaging a liggage rack is collatoral dammage 😃

• Like 2

The rally raid rear soft panniers rack add strength to the hanger with a reinforcement bracket

very good solution 

• Like 1

• Members

Yamaha OEM pannier racks alone will not protect your exhaust.  I bent my exhaust hanger in a drop with the panniers off the bike.

On 11/11/2021 at 10:14 AM, Wintersdark said:

Another vote for a high exhaust.  The Huzar exhaust is cheaper than a lot of more elaborate racks particularly those that can actually protect anything.  The reality of the stock exhaust is that the most vulnerable part of it is the lowest, forwardmost part of the muffler, and it's impacts there that are going to bend it into the swingarm.  At least, I managed to bend my exhaust into the swingarm twice, and it didn't take particularly violent impacts to do it.  Both times hitting that bottommost corner.  

Racks or even soft bags may protect your exhaust if you fall over on a flat, level surface. You're more likely to fall or impact on a less accommodating surface, such as one with rocks, ruts, logs, bushes or other protuberances that may well miss your protection mechanism while whacking your muffler. I'm quite happy with the OEM exhaust notes but harbor a fear for my subframe and swingarm because of the stock muffler location. Naturally I like the most expensive high exhaust kit (HP Corsa) but if I bite that bullet will probably go with the CamelADV solution since they are my preferred vendor and more reasonably priced.  The conundrum is that it's more about the collateral damage of a broken subframe or gouged swingarm and then it is about a bent muffler. So it's not like you can just replace your exhaust if it gets bashed. If the collateral damage occurred, it's too late.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Boondocker said:

Racks or even soft bags may protect your exhaust if you fall over on a flat, level surface. You're more likely to fall or impact on a less accommodating surface, such as one with rocks, ruts, logs, bushes or other protuberances that may well miss your protection mechanism while whacking your muffler. I'm quite happy with the OEM exhaust notes but harbor a fear for my subframe and swingarm because of the stock muffler location. Naturally I like the most expensive high exhaust kit (HP Corsa) but if I bite that bullet will probably go with the CamelADV solution since they are my preferred vendor and more reasonably priced.  The conundrum is that it's more about the collateral damage of a broken subframe or gouged swingarm and then it is about a bent muffler. So it's not like you can just replace your exhaust if it gets bashed. If the collateral damage occurred, it's too late.

Exactly.   Fortunately I'd already read the reports of the collateral damage here, so when I dropped mine I knew what to look for.  If I didn't, I know I'd end up having damaged my swingarm as both drops pushed the link pipe into it.  

They're all good options.  The HP Corsa is dead sexy, too, but I can't justify the cost.  Camel makes excellent products, but I dislike the notion of cutting the hanger and I like how the Huzar actually mounts it's link pipe to it's inside.   Also, the Huzar is so cheap you could buy it, put the muffler on the shelf, and buy basically any slipon if you wanted a different look 🙂  For sure, though, as much as I think the Huzar is a killer value, like with any exhaust it's all down to personal preferences - there's not much "better" or "worse", just different styles.

Well.  Except the Corsa kit.  If someone doesn't think that's sexy, they're just wrong 🙂

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

If your just looking to protect the muffler then I don't have much useful to say. But if your looking to protect the swing arm in the event of a crash from the muffler then one of these should do the trick. That and with so many changing their OEM mufflers to aftermarket, you could pick up a cheap one used off eBay or the like, just to have a spare, and then the swing arm protector. 

CF4B8A7F-A38E-4B6B-BF2F-20F11A90BBF2.thumb.jpeg.fca4376486c81f83aadb1ce3d7b98772.jpeg

• Like 1