Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Oxfords adventure premium locking up my throttle.

Boyca

Question

Hi everyone,

Today I installed a bunch of mods to my T7, one if which are the Oxfords adventure heated grips. The guide says to apply plenty of glue at the inner part of the throttle tube when the grip is already snug ( which it was dry fitted ). I did just that, but once installed I could literally keep my throttle on full lock and it would stick and stay there. After some fiddling around and fitting the barkbusters it didn't stay up anymore but it very slowly released back down which is still super annoying. It's like a cursed cruisecontrol atm and it just feels tensed and rough, I hate it. The grip sort of stuck solid tight after only 3 seconds so I barely had the time to adjust anything. I did push the grips as deep as I could against the inner part where that plastic oem spacer is sitting. Not sure what to do at this point, I heard there was a potential need for a spacer somewhere? But even without the barkbuster end weights screwed in the grips were very stiff and not releasing. I drove home with the grips on 100% for like 10 minutes and I think I felt it being better but still.  Hopefully someone has an idea on what it could be or what my best course of action is because cutting off 75 euro grips just doesn't sound very fun.. 

Edited by Boyca

1 hour ago, Boyca said:

Hi everyone,

Today I installed a bunch of mods to my T7, one if which are the Oxfords adventure heated grips. The guide says to apply plenty of glue at the inner part of the throttle tube when the grip is already snug ( which is was dry fitted ). I did just that, but once installed I could literally keep my throttle on full lock and it would stick and stay there. After some fiddling around and fitting the barkbusters it didn't stay up anymore but it very slowly released back down which is still super annoying. It's like a cursed cruisecontrol atm and it just feels tensed and rough, I hate it. The grip sort of stuck solid tight after only 3 seconds so I barely had the time to adjust anything. I did push the grips as deep as I could against the inner part where that plastic oem spacer is sitting. Not sure what to do at this point, I heard there was a potential need for a spacer somewhere? But even without the barkbuster end weights screwed in the grips were very stiff and not releasing. I drove home with the grips on 100% for like 10 minutes and I think I felt it being better but still.  Hopefully someone has an idea on what it could be or what my best course of action is because cutting off 75 euro grips just doesn't sound very fun.. 

you should be able to remove them without the damage and redo them, using either penetrating spray or a brake cleaner, letting it deep in bit by bit. Clean it all off and start again. Maybe without glue if they’re tight enough. Dry run again first. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dougie said:

you should be able to remove them without the damage and redo them

They were snug when fitted dry but I doubt that's enough for permanent fixation. But because they're so snug I also doubt I can fit in any solvent between the throttle tube and the inner side of the grip. Do you know of a necessary 3mm spacer to be put in place somewhere on the throttleside? I feel like I remember reading about such a thing but I can't find the source again.  I really hope I can solve it because otherwise it's an expensive joke.

Did the glue not just work itself around to the bars under the throttle tube somewhere? Or is it just the hand guard part rubbing? Freeze release or brake cleaner/ carb cleaner would definitely work it’s way in. Just a matter of patience and working it. May have to take the throttle tube off the throttle linkage and separate / clean it  on the bench. I’ve not seen inside yet to measure anything, but once measured you could see if it needs any spacer anywhere or even just leaving a gap. I was also looking at the Oxford grips this winter.
It will come. Don’t cut it. 
once it’s ready to go back in, if it’s that tight I’d even consider washing liquid. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Boyca said:

They were snug when fitted dry but I doubt that's enough for permanent fixation. But because they're so snug I also doubt I can fit in any solvent between the throttle tube and the inner side of the grip. Do you know of a necessary 3mm spacer to be put in place somewhere on the throttleside? I feel like I remember reading about such a thing but I can't find the source again.  I really hope I can solve it because otherwise it's an expensive joke.

I have the OEM heated grips and i also have the T7 dedicated Barkbuster kit and in the instructions it said that when heated grips are mounted you have to use a 3mm spacer between the bar end and the fixing point.
Inly thing that annoyed me was that they didn't ad a spacer to the kit, like everybody has some spacers lying around (luckily i did).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Barkbuster kit and in the instructions it said that when heated grips are mounted you have to use a 3mm spacer between the bar end and the fixing point.

So I didn't imagine things after all, does this 3mm(washer?) sit as the first thing on the fixed bolt/thread? Before the silver coloured weighted spacer or does it sit behind it? I didn't manage to take pictures because it was really dark already so I find it hard to explain what I'm trying to say. 

16 minutes ago, Dougie said:

once it’s ready to go back in, if it’s that tight I’d even consider washing liquid. 

Washing liquid to what purpose though?

43 minutes ago, Boyca said:

So I didn't imagine things after all, does this 3mm(washer?) sit as the first thing on the fixed bolt/thread? Before the silver coloured weighted spacer or does it sit behind it? I didn't manage to take pictures because it was really dark already so I find it hard to explain what I'm trying to say. 

Between the zinc plated spacer and the black bar end weight.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Between the zinc plated spacer and the black bar end weight.

And what's the point of this washer you think? I thought it would allow the heated grips to have more room before being pressed tight against the bar ends but if it sits between the zinc and the black bar end then it doesn't affect the grip whatsoever right?

I don't know about the Oxford but the OEM has an extra spacer at the end to extend the grip. Without the spacer the bar end pushes against the grip make it get stuck. With a thinner (1,5mm) spacer it works like a throttle control without the possibility to unlock it and with the 3mm spacer is runs free.
If that's not the problem you might have pushed the grip too far up having the same at the other end of the grip and if that's not the case the only reason for your problems must be that the glue was applied to thick and scraped off ending up between the throttle tube and the handlebar.
The last possibility in my opinion is that the throttle tube is deformed but than the grips must be way too small to get that much pressure to accomplish that.

• Like 1

I had the exact same problem when I installed my Oxford Adventure grips with he difference is that I am running the stock handgaurds still. I found that when pushing on the Oxford grips the glue was wiped off the bar and was forced up against the throttle tube causing binding and sticking the throttle. I removed the grips, did a thorough cleaning and reinstalled using Gorilla Glue gel and have had no issues since. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I don't know about the Oxford but the OEM has an extra spacer at the end to extend the grip. Without the spacer the bar end pushes against the grip make it get stuck. With a thinner (1,5mm) spacer it works like a throttle control without the possibility to unlock it and with the 3mm spacer is runs free.
If that's not the problem you might have pushed the grip too far up having the same at the other end of the grip and if that's not the case the only reason for your problems must be that the glue was applied to thick and scraped off ending up between the throttle tube and the handlebar.
The last possibility in my opinion is that the throttle tube is deformed but than the grips must be way too small to get that much pressure to accomplish that.

I doubt that the grips have warped the tube because while snug, it wasn't very difficult getting them all the way on. About the possibility that the grip is pushed too far into the tube, well I can only say that I pushed it until it hit the inner plastic oem washer thingy on the inside. I'm also thinking it might be the scraping and pushing of the glue underneath the throttle tube. I'm wondering if spraying brake cleaner on the outer ends of the grips might be a possible fix.. If you mean the rubber extension spacers for the OEM heater grips, the Oxfords are 132mm in length so it doesn't need those. But otherwise if you mean a simple 2-3mm washer I still don't see how it could aid in not having the bar ends collide with the grip. Do you perhaps have a picture of the washer in position so I can have a better understand of it's effects? 

I attached a picture to show the positions for the washer that I'm not sure about, as well as showing the plastic washer that I'm talking about from the inside of the handle. I took this from a video screenshot. Could you tell me in what position the washer is supposed to be placed, 1-2-3?

example.png

8 minutes ago, HucknChuck said:

I had the exact same problem when I installed my Oxford Adventure grips with he difference is that I am running the stock handgaurds still. I found that when pushing on the Oxford grips the glue was wiped off the bar and was forced up against the throttle tube causing binding and sticking the throttle. I removed the grips, did a thorough cleaning and reinstalled using Gorilla Glue gel and have had no issues since. 

So we both used too much glue regardless of Oxfords advising us to use a lot in the instructions? That's stupid but perhaps something I should've see coming. How did you remove the grips without damaging any components? Also, if you use the gorilla glue, is it even possible to ever get them off again?

4 minutes ago, Boyca said:

So we both used too much glue regardless of Oxfords advising us to use a lot in the instructions? That's stupid but perhaps something I should've see coming. How did you remove the grips without damaging any components? Also, if you use the gorilla glue, is it even possible to ever get them off again?

I certainly believe there was too much glue when I installed them. After the install set up I could look down beside the grip and see the mound of dried glue. Tried to clean it out with a sharp Olfa blade and that helped the grip spring somewhat back but didn't solve the issue entirely.

As for removal of the first install, the glue let go as soon as I used the grips at full power (likely caused by it all being scraped off 😄!).

My thinking on the Gorilla Glue being stuck on very permanently is that is a better option than sticking throttles or spinning grips. Maybe someone out there knows how to get it to release its hold...

24 minutes ago, HucknChuck said:

My thinking on the Gorilla Glue being stuck on very permanently is that is a better option than sticking throttles or spinning grips.

True, but I like to think ahead and perhaps in the future when going abroad to offroad I wouldn't want those on my bike for a long period of time. I already kinda miss the OEM rally grips, they were thin and nice to hold on to, I have to get used to these thicker Oxfords.

Edited by Boyca

23 hours ago, Boyca said:

I doubt that the grips have warped the tube because while snug, it wasn't very difficult getting them all the way on. About the possibility that the grip is pushed too far into the tube, well I can only say that I pushed it until it hit the inner plastic oem washer thingy on the inside. I'm also thinking it might be the scraping and pushing of the glue underneath the throttle tube. I'm wondering if spraying brake cleaner on the outer ends of the grips might be a possible fix.. If you mean the rubber extension spacers for the OEM heater grips, the Oxfords are 132mm in length so it doesn't need those. But otherwise if you mean a simple 2-3mm washer I still don't see how it could aid in not having the bar ends collide with the grip. Do you perhaps have a picture of the washer in position so I can have a better understand of it's effects? 

I attached a picture to show the positions for the washer that I'm not sure about, as well as showing the plastic washer that I'm talking about from the inside of the handle. I took this from a video screenshot. Could you tell me in what position the washer is supposed to be placed, 1-2-3?

example.png

@Ray Ride4lifeI was hoping if you could still tell me where the 3mm washer/spacer is supposed to sit to give more free play. Today I tried to loosen the glue up with wd40 and it didn't do much, but when fixing the zinc coloured bar end the oxfords got stuck even harder. This probably means it's not just glue impeding movement.

I hope I can help. I've got the Oxford Adventure grips and Barkbuster handguards as well. I made a royal mess during glue up as well...

After gluing the throttle side I noticed movement was stiff and sticky. Glue had been pushed in between the inner rubber grip flange and the throttle cable housing. Some delicate work with a knife sorted that out but things were still stiff. I removed the Barkbusters and bar end hardware completely and then disassembled the throttle cable housing - there was glue in there too keeping the throttle tube from spinning freely inside the housing. Scraped that sh*t show back to OEM spec with a knife, reassembled, and all was well. 

I also dripped a big ugly glob onto the gas tank and didn't notice it until it was fully cured. I did some googling and learned that hobby shops actually sell an antidote to crazy glue!

Search for "BSI UN-CURE"

I masked the area around the offending glob, put a drop on, waited a few seconds, then gently rubbed it off with a clean cotton rag. Repeated that process about ten times then wet sanded with 2000grit ever so gently and it was like it never happened. You could use the crazy glue dissolver around your grips and throttle cable housing to clean up the strays. 

Here is my bar end setup:

1595383470_newbars4.thumb.jpg.4af933a1024df992e6ec1083640cf71a.jpg 

1514142758_newbars1.thumb.jpg.8c3d54be17291d548d2003e2f119ba60.jpg

It's seamless and does not produce any throttle friction. I'm pretty sure those aluminum spacers came with the Barkbusters...

Like you I was also a little bummed out by the size of the grips. I've got little girly hands and felt uncomfortable at first but after some hours on the bike they felt fine and the heat has extended my riding season so that's a win. 

• Like 3

Do as Samm mentioned.

You are not going to fix this by just spraying bit of cleaner here and there.  

Take the throttle apart separate the the throttle tube from it.  Clean excess glue near the cable end, any that might have squeezed into the throttle housing and any glue that might have got on the handlebar and the inside of the throttle tube.

While you have the tube off the bike I would cut and remove that thin plastic spacer between the grip and the housing.  This will give you some clearance and allow normal operation.  You don't need it.  

I never install a heated grip on a throttle tube while it is installed on the bike.  Mark the distance you want to install the grip before removing it and do the install on the workbench.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Samm said:

there was glue in there too keeping the throttle tube from spinning freely inside the housing. Scraped that sh*t show back to OEM spec with a knife, reassembled, and all was well. 

Thanks for the nice write up, I opened up the throttle cable housing today but didn't see any apparent glue inside of the unit, only on the outer shell. I was also pretty spooked I'd mess something up and it was filled with grease and what not. My rubber inner flange was completely glued together with that plastic oem washer and I trued to undo that with a boxcutter.

I wasn't aware like @williestreetmentioned that I could take off the throttle tube completely either. After all the cleaning on the inside it seemed to snap back fine ish again until I screwed in the zinc bbusters nut at the end weights. Once that one was tightened the whole grip/tube got sticky and sometimes full lock again, very strange how that caused some sort of expansion force? I filed down the plastic throttle tube so the zinc spacer/nut couldn't press outwards on the plastic throttle tube anymore. I got so fed up I just mounted it all together and rode home. People telling me brake cleaner gets rid of glue, man that stuff did absolutely nothing to that glue. 

Also you had no issues screwing in that outer bbusters screw into that zinc spacer? I've had it get super stuck multiple times until I learned and read online that you need to put in a 2-3mm washer between the zinc and the black part of the end weight.

18 hours ago, Boyca said:

@Ray Ride4lifeI was hoping if you could still tell me where the 3mm washer/spacer is supposed to sit to give more free play. Today I tried to loosen the glue up with wd40 and it didn't do much, but when fixing the zinc coloured bar end the oxfords got stuck even harder. This probably means it's not just glue impeding movement.

I borrowed the picture from @Samm
I marked it with a red pen, just be sure the spacer is a bit smaller than the inside of the grip.
1082697414_InkedBBwasherspacer_LI.jpg.45b95b2b664fada35bc30c1ddf27a817.jpg

@Ray Ride4life  @Samm Very odd, that thick zinc spacer bolt that screws into the handlebar sticks out like 0.5cm/0.2inches when I screw it in. I don't line up with the end of the grip sleeve like it does for Samm. I did place the spacer in that position though but I don't get why it would be different with mine.

Maybe a faulty one slipped through the quality control and the hole is out of centre.
Just to check that you can change it with the left one.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Maybe a faulty one slipped through the quality control and the hole is out of centre.
Just to check that you can change it with the left one.

Pretty sure it's identical on the left. I can't go check now, my garage is not really nearby. I'l look tomorrow and will check both sides. But even if it sticks out it shouldn't impede the throttle tube or grip right? Because it's smaller in diameter than the tube.

Just take a file to the outside of that spacer and make it 1mm or so smaller in diameter for clearance.

Oxford grips can be cut shorter as well if needed. There are 2 lines on the grips showing where they can be trimmed to if the rubber is rubbing and slowing return.  The instructions give directions where they can be trimmed as well.

So I took some pictures of the bbusters fitted onto the bar and you can clearly see that spacer nut coming out a whole lot more than how it sits on @Samm's bike. If I recall that most outer holding screw wasn't nearly that long as on your Samm's picture either. Not sure what's going on, I purchased the Adventure premium Oxfords.

20211113_124051.jpg

20211113_124103.jpg

20211113_124122.jpg

Looks almost like the grip and unit on the right side is mounted too far up the handlebar.
Don't know if there is a positioning pin on the unit that fit's in a hole in the handlebar but i don't think so because i could move mine forward to adjust it to my liking.