Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Oxfords adventure premium locking up my throttle.

Boyca

Question

Hi everyone,

Today I installed a bunch of mods to my T7, one if which are the Oxfords adventure heated grips. The guide says to apply plenty of glue at the inner part of the throttle tube when the grip is already snug ( which it was dry fitted ). I did just that, but once installed I could literally keep my throttle on full lock and it would stick and stay there. After some fiddling around and fitting the barkbusters it didn't stay up anymore but it very slowly released back down which is still super annoying. It's like a cursed cruisecontrol atm and it just feels tensed and rough, I hate it. The grip sort of stuck solid tight after only 3 seconds so I barely had the time to adjust anything. I did push the grips as deep as I could against the inner part where that plastic oem spacer is sitting. Not sure what to do at this point, I heard there was a potential need for a spacer somewhere? But even without the barkbuster end weights screwed in the grips were very stiff and not releasing. I drove home with the grips on 100% for like 10 minutes and I think I felt it being better but still.  Hopefully someone has an idea on what it could be or what my best course of action is because cutting off 75 euro grips just doesn't sound very fun.. 

Edited by Boyca

6 hours ago, Boyca said:

So I took some pictures of the bbusters fitted onto the bar and you can clearly see that spacer nut coming out a whole lot more than how it sits on @Samm's bike. If I recall that most outer holding screw wasn't nearly that long as on your Samm's picture either. Not sure what's going on, I purchased the Adventure premium Oxfords.

20211113_124051.jpg

20211113_124103.jpg

20211113_124122.jpg

Loosen the two screws keeping the throttle cable housing together and slide the whole assembly down towards the end of the bar. Give yourself a mm clearance to the black bar end and you should be fine.

If there’s a hole in the bar that the throttle housing sits in to keep it from moving just file off the plastic tit. 

Here is some advice about preventing glue from fouling up your throttle tube.

FWIW, there is a pin to locate the throttle housing, at least on my '22.

I found that with Oxford Adventure grips and the T7 Barkbusters the silver spacers provided by Barkbusters are too much, but with no spacers the throttle side grip touches the bar weight, which is no good.  I used a couple of ordinary washer underneath the bar weight to give enough clearance.  I did the same on my last bike with no problems.