Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Crash Report - Post up your crash damage!

Larson627

Damn, glad you were able to walk away from what really could have been a horrific accident.  Did that 4x4 just come out at you from the side?

With a broken collarbone and a missing front of the bike, I'm imagining that the bike must have pitched over forward for a somersault?

My friend used to work for Airlift NW with Bellevue.  Hopefully you didn't need their services, and have a speedy recovery.

Tough outing @Zero600 …small consolation,  but at least you faired better than the bike.

Edited by Hammerhead

2 hours ago, Endopotential said:

Damn, glad you were able to walk away from what really could have been a horrific accident.  Did that 4x4 just come out at you from the side?

With a broken collarbone and a missing front of the bike, I'm imagining that the bike must have pitched over forward for a somersault?

My friend used to work for Airlift NW with Bellevue.  Hopefully you didn't need their services, and have a speedy recovery.

I laid the bike down to my right, hit the ground, then the 4x4 hit my bike and actually rolled onto its side.  In the picture above they had already righted the 4x4. It was essentially head-0n but I was not in the collision. Just my shoulder vs. dirt road, and 4x4 vs bike.

didn’t need airlift fortunately.  They got a 4wd ambulance in there.

2 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

Tough outing @Zero600 …small consolation,  but at least you faired better than the bike.

Yes indeed. Everything damaged (including me) can be fixed, so I feel lucky. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Damn, what a tale @Zero600 - really glad to hear you are ok pal.

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• 4 weeks later...

I Fell in a creek, definitely driver error...

The bash-plate got stuck by a tree root

I am okay, just a cold bath.

The handlebar bent down 3-4cm, we fixed that when got back to our accommodation.

Not even a scratch on the bike except the handlebar.

• Like 1

Same trip:

Tires were filled with slippery mud from a few meters back, slid off the desired track, layed down the bike.

Not a scratch, I am also unharmed.

• Like 1

This one hurt quite much, still limping:
 my right leg got stuck under the bike when it stalled uphill and I fell on the right, with my feet unable to touch the ground.

Exhaus is stock rally, bent a bit, corrected it by foot. No damage

IMG_5226.JPG.dfbc174cdd1b56988cac178b51436da5.JPG

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dzoltan82 said:

This one hurt quite much, still limping:
 my right leg got stuck under the bike when it stalled uphill and I fell on the right, with my feet unable to touch the ground.

Exhaus is stock rally, bent a bit, corrected it by foot. No damage

IMG_5226.JPG.dfbc174cdd1b56988cac178b51436da5.JPG

At least it looks like you've worn proper boots - hope you get well soon!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

At least it looks like you've worn proper boots - hope you get well soon!

Forma adventure, not really sturdy, but I am quite OK with it.

I was using a W2 Elite for years, which was very much a RoboCop feeling, than I thought something more comfortable could work too, especially because I did not fall that much off my old bike. (3AJ, ridden for 15 years)

Then came the T700, and for the last 8 months I fell more times than the last 7-8 years on the old Tenere 😄

Actually it was my knee, that got stuck, high above the boots. If I wore knee braces like my brother does all the time, it would probably not hurt at all. I am using regular strap-on Acerbis knee guards. It would probably go without any injury, but silly me tried to pull my leg out of under the bike before my mate arrived and I got a Morel-Lavalle lesion (I found that out before the doctor confirmed it 😄), basically dislocated the skin off the muscle which resulted in a lesion.

It could have been much worse.

• Like 2

Glad you were not hurt worse than you were. 

I have both Forma Adventure and Sidi Crossfires.  I would be wearing the Sidis in that terrain, and not worrying about clomping around off the bike. I do wear the Formas on easy gravel roads and that might bite me one day. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

Glad you were not hurt worse than you were. 

I have both Forma Adventure and Sidi Crossfires.  I would be wearing the Sidis in that terrain, and not worrying about clomping around off the bike. I do wear the Formas on easy gravel roads and that might bite me one day. 

Have almost the same boots: Crossfires and Forma ADV Tourer (these are even softer than Adventures). For anything else but Tarmac and very smooth gravel roads, I wear my Sidis. To me, their only downsides are less feel for the pedals (but definitely manageable) and more noise when walking. I find them pretty comfy! And their grip is absolutely supreme, even compared to other true MX boots I have tested (especially in the calves area).

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

A boring report I'm afraid.  I lost the front on an oil spill on tar.  Slowing down to stop.  With a pillion.  Some bruises, but we were dressed for the fall.  

The Bark busters took most of the impact.  Only the plastic is wiped a bit.  My front axle bobbins wore slightly.  RHS foot pegIMG_20231006_141135_804.jpg.f73d726aa36cff0ef64b6cd4d0654e37.jpg dragged in the tar.  The oil and paint saved the rest while sliding.

• Sad 2

• Moderators

@katana Not boring if no injuries,  glad you two were OK. 

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 2 months later...
On 12/31/2021 at 4:49 AM, Wintersdark said:

I've never bent the hanger, but I've definitely bent the stock exhaust in more than once.  

Last year a truck driver didn't like my nearly brand new T7. With about 200km/125mls on the clock the truck hit my bike while driving backwards on a crossroad (we all had green light). All honking and yelling did nothing and in the very last moment I jumped off the bike. When the driver saw me rolling to the right lane (we planned to do a left turn) he could see that there was something behind his truck and stopped in a blink. Nothing happend to me because everyone on the crossroad saw it coming when I got their attention by honking all the time. I was paddeling backwards but the truck was way too quick for me to get away.

Nice story with the driver. German registered truck & trailer, polish driver that didn't speak a word of german or english. When the police finally arrived they communicated via googl translator...

Bent exhaust plus few damages here and there put me in the situation to change some parts I already planned to do.

I had to pull out the exhaust a lot because it was about 5 or 6 inches in the way for the swingarm. And here we got the bent tubes of the exhaust hanger. The color came off the tube from bending it.  You can do that once or twice befor the tubes will break.

Crash_1.jpg

Crash_2.JPG

Crash_3.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/13/2023 at 5:20 PM, Hollybrook said:

Both wheels caught about the same time, and I high sided quite violently for the 15-20 mph that I was travelling at

I swear there is some Law Of Physics that would explain a impending 20mph low-side crash turning into what feels like a 50mph high-side crash.

HS=LS x 2.5 x 299,792,458 metres per second

• Haha 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~