Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

SW-Motech Urban ABS case and rear rack

Chris1974

At the moment I have the OEM Yamaha rear rack and the GIVI adventure topcase. It is very practical, but also bulky and heavy.

As an alternative I was looking at this SW-Motech Urban ABS case and rear rack combo (only topcase, not side paniers).

SW-Motech Urban ABS topcase

I was wondering what you guys think about this. Seems a lot lighter and smaller. Can fit 30 liters when extended.

What do you think?

gpt_06_799_60000_b_2_xl.jpg

I installed the SW-Motech rack with the Givi 40l Monkey top case.  For touring, it's perfect with a Wolfman expedition small drybag.

PXL_20210513_112658872.jpg

PXL_20210513_112712844.jpg

PXL_20210513_112729960.MP.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 12/6/2021 at 1:19 PM, Chris1974 said:

At the moment I have the OEM Yamaha rear rack and the GIVI adventure topcase. It is very practical, but also bulky and heavy.

As an alternative I was looking at this SW-Motech Urban ABS case and rear rack combo (only topcase, not side paniers).

SW-Motech Urban ABS topcase

I was wondering what you guys think about this. Seems a lot lighter and smaller. Can fit 30 liters when extended.

What do you think?

gpt_06_799_60000_b_2_xl.jpg

It's a lot lighter than your aluminum Givi topcase. That case, with the rack and the mounting kit and the adaptor kit weighs 16.2 pounds, giving you a maximum of 29 litres when it's unzipped to its full extension.  If you keep your oem rack, which is quite well-made, you can get a Givi WL901 thermoforming top case that holds 34 litres, comes with a separate fill bag for the inside and weighs about 3.5 pounds.  With your OEM rack, that will likely come to 16 or 17 pounds total and a good monokey fit.  If you want 40 liters,  you can get the slightly bigger but more technical Givi XL08, which holds 40 litres and weighs 4 pounds.  Better options and better fixing onto the Monokey plate.  I emailed Givi for the weights for my own purposes.  

20230607_112535.jpg

Resized_20230607_095648.jpeg

Edited by Jayzonk

41 minutes ago, Jayzonk said:

It's a lot lighter than your aluminum Givi topcase. That case, with the rack and the mounting kit and the adaptor kit weighs 16.2 pounds, giving you a maximum of 29 litres when it's unzipped to its full extension.  If you keep your oem rack, which is quite well-made, you can get a Givi WL901 thermoforming top case that holds 34 litres, comes with a separate fill bag for the inside and weighs about 3.5 pounds.  With your OEM rack, that will likely come to 16 or 17 pounds total and a good monokey fit.  If you want 40 liters,  you can get the slightly bigger but more technical Givi XL08, which holds 40 litres and weighs 4 pounds.  Better options and better fixing onto the Monokey plate.  I emailed Givi for the weights for my own purposes.  

20230607_112535.jpg

Resized_20230607_095648.jpeg

Looks nice too.

In the mean time I have deleted the OEM Yamaha rear rack and mounted the Perun Moto rear rack. That is a lot lighter than the OEM one. I like that the GIVI case is a hard case you can lock. I use it mainly when I go in to town to carry stuff and lock my helmet inside when walking around.

For travel I take off the GIVI case and use a drybag.

• Like 1