Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Hello from Surrey, UK

Mikesnail

Hi All,

I pick up my Tenere on Saturday and very much looking forward to it! 

Just thought I would say hello, as I am sure I will be searching this forum a lot for information! My first plan is to mount my garmin - and find somewhere to hide the ridiculous amount of cable the mount comes with. 

Anyway, very much looking forward to being part of the community. 

Mike. 

• Like 1

Mine is getting more comfortable as the seat gives. It's pretty hard on the arse the first few trips. I've also done the mod whereby you can take both halves of the seat off using the key. It saves failing around with the allen key each time you want to access the battery or airbox. Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks for the welcome - and thank you for the seat hack prompt! I just looked it up, and it will indeed be the first thing I do!

Much appreciated!

I wired (cutting the wire as required) my Garmin to the accessory socket located  on the righthand side under the panel.

This socket is fused and runs through the ignition switch.

See this thread.

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/2648-garmin-zumo-xt-wiring-questions-im-at-a-loss/

Edited by johnneyflyguy

Hi Mike, welcome. You may want to just fiddle with your Garmin right now but I guarantee that within 10 minutes of getting your new toy your shopping list of 'must have's' will be as long as your arm!

I speak from experience!

• Like 2

Seat Hack, that will happen tonight.

I also ordered a Marine waterproof USB insert to replace the factory plug in model, I hope to wire that in soon. I don't like the idea of plugging things in, I don't think they will maintain position off road. I like the price and features of this 3.0 quick charge supporting replacement, voltage read out is a nice add.

3 hours ago, Splix said:

Seat Hack, that will happen tonight.

I also ordered a Marine waterproof USB insert to replace the factory plug in model, I hope to wire that in soon. I don't like the idea of plugging things in, I don't think they will maintain position off road. I like the price and features of this 3.0 quick charge supporting replacement, voltage read out is a nice add.

If I were you I would fit it to the right hand blank space... having said that I just bought a USB adaptor for the power socket which leaves the power supply free for some driving lamps.

If you intend to ride off road I suggest you look at an aftermarket bash plate as the OEM one is a bit thin.

5 minutes ago, Poacher said:

If I were you I would fit it to the right hand blank space... having said that I just bought a USB adaptor for the power socket which leaves the power supply free for some driving lamps.

If you intend to ride off road I suggest you look at an aftermarket bash plate as the OEM one is a bit thin.

That is a great idea. I'm not sure what I would use the cig-lighter style port for though. I'll use the blank space for now, but the factor power port / cig-lighter is on the chopping block for anything else that needs the spot. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Splix said:

That is a great idea. I'm not sure what I would use the cig-lighter style port for though. I'll use the blank space for now, but the factor power port / cig-lighter is on the chopping block for anything else that needs the spot. 🙂

Its the cig lighter socket that I have the USB adaptor in.

s-l400.jpg

Ultimateaddons was first established in 2008, with an aim to provide the best quality tested motorcycle, bicycle and car accessory products and take them to the global market. Included are two covers for the USB sockets to keep...

17 minutes ago, Poacher said:

Its the cig lighter socket that I have the USB adaptor in.

s-l400.jpg

Ultimateaddons was first established in 2008, with an aim to provide the best quality tested motorcycle, bicycle and car accessory products and take them to the global market. Included are two covers for the USB sockets to keep...

I worry that off-road these plug in friction hold units won't stay put for long. That was what drove me to pickup one that will lock in place without relying on friction.

24 minutes ago, Splix said:

I worry that off-road these plug in friction hold units won't stay put for long. That was what drove me to pickup one that will lock in place without relying on friction.

I was thinking the same but this one is a flush and tight fit made from metal, its not moving! More likely that the USB leads fall out 🙂

• Like 1

I picked my T7 up today. Managed to wire in the GPS just before it poured down with rain.

The thread linked by jonnyflyguy was incredibly useful. In the end I used the three pin plug to wire it in, and cable ties to keep it all orderly. I have a Zumo 595 which comes with all manor of cables (3 audio and q1 usb). In the end I cut those all off and used electrical tape to cover the ends. It all seems to work… time will tell if it holds.

Having come from a CRF 250 Rally, the suspension on the T7 feels really hard. I could feel every bump (I do have the low seat fitted, so that may be a factor… I was not blessed with long legs!), so tomorrow I plan to play with the rear suspension to try and soften it up. I’ll do a forum search on this shortly to see what you all recommend, but feel free to shout out any setups that work well for you. 

I am really tempted by the mono seat rack (clearly, Poacher you were right!). But the at ~£165 it feels a bit pricey for what it is, though the more I look the more tempted I am! Would be great to hear people’s thoughts on it.

Welcome aboard @Mikesnail.  What a great feeling to get the T7 eh?  Post a pic of your new bike and have way to much fun on it.  Congrats.

• 2 weeks later...

Its took a while, but finally a picture 🙂

So far I am only at 250 miles, but thoroughly enjoying it!

All the links and suggestions have been much appreciated.

Tenere700.jpeg

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Mikesnail said:

All the links and suggestions have been much appreciated.

@MikesnailWelcome into the fold.  Don’t fret, we'll have your wallet emptied in record time!

• Haha 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS