Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Garmin Zumo XT Wiring Questions - I'm at a LOSS!!!

nelsonccc

I've read through most of the threads here and over on ADV Rider and I'm still confused. I'm a total noob when it comes to electrical wiring. I have a new zumo xt and the moto pumps mount and the camel bobble head kit shows up today. 

In doing research on how to wire it I've come to realize that rather than run directly to the battery, like I was going to do, I should instead wire into 'switched' power. There are a number of threads here that talk about using he existing accessory plugs on the T7. Though I can't understand what the difference is between the 2 pin or 3 pin and the various amps loads they can accommodate.

Bottom line is if I buy these two items from Eastern beaver it seems I can plug and paly more or less. I can plug the  aux splitter into the 3 pin and then plug the power leads aux light connector into one of the split ends and then wire in the zumo to that. 

Am I missing anything? I'm loathe to wait a few more weeks for the eastern beaver stuff to show up but after hours of research this seems the easiest, straight forward approach. I welcome any feedbakc or advice on other ways to do it, especialyl if I can get it up and running sooner.

Also is there any recommendations on the best approach to wiring teh zumo to the aux cable? Positap?

Thanks!

tenere-aux-light-leads_1.jpg

s10-splitter.jpg

On the T7 there are multiple tap off ign feed points and you can choose any of them depending what your future intentions are. Ive tapped mine into the three pin which again is ign fed. There are two of these and 10 amps for Both and share the same fuse.

or

use the two pin square plugs. These are 2 amp and share the fuse , this is ideally the better one to use as leaves the larger amp cables for heated grips or fog lights.

but really 3 or 2 pin plugs ok

i can see in your pic its the correct cable you have

so take off the right side panel ( leave the left side for heated grips feed) and taped up with black tape is your two or three pin connector.

if you completely new to wiring then get some assistance but on the bike side cable two of the feeds are live and remaining is an earth.

just make sure the colour / earth cable line up all the way through.

as also the power cable.

solder the joins and then heat shrink the join.

the nav comes with a small black box

this is the voltage reduction part which needs to be tucked away and protected. 12v down to 5v

you will need a multimeter or small light to test feed

soldering iron

heat shrink cable and a few zip ties.

it has been discussed many time so have a search through for some pictures 

Edited by Matth

Thanks for bringing this up guys.

I just started fitting a Garmin Zumo mount and was thinking I'd need to get a Fuzeblocks FZ-1 Distribution Block or Denaili Power Hub but at £130 I'm glad to hear Yamaha provided these power leads 🙂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, James said:

Thanks for bringing this up guys.

I just started fitting a Garmin Zumo mount and was thinking I'd need to get a Fuzeblocks FZ-1 Distribution Block or Denaili Power Hub but at £130 I'm glad to hear Yamaha provided these power leads 🙂

I looked hard at the fuzeblock and the Beaver power 4cs and pc8 but those seemed overkill for me with no accessories. I might want heated grips in the future but that's about it. So I think I can buy these two items (already purchased just in case) and plug the splitter into the aux cable, then tie the zumo into the other cable and plug it in and still have the other dongle for something else in the future.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nelsonccc said:

I looked hard at the fuzeblock and the Beaver power 4cs and pc8 but those seemed overkill for me with no accessories. I might want heated grips in the future but that's about it. So I think I can buy these two items (already purchased just in case) and plug the splitter into the aux cable, then tie the zumo into the other cable and plug it in and still have the other dongle for something else in the future.

Be good to see some pictures when your done.

I tried to fit the Garmin Zumo 395 power lead today and one of the pins immediately snapped off!

It appears from online reviews that newer cables are made sub-standard :-(

Awaiting a replacement from Amazon...

20210120_204406.jpg

20210120_204456.jpg

• Confused 1

I used the 2 pin plug for my zumo  and the 3 pin for my heated grips. Other wise sounds like your set up is about the same as mine. I ordered the 2 pin  plug on Amazon to make everything easy and removable in the future. You definitely want it to power off with the bike.

GH010017_1600735465511.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fiddyone said:

I used the 2 pin plug for my zumo  and the 3 pin for my heated grips. Other wise sounds like your set up is about the same as mine. I ordered the 2 pin  plug on Amazon to make everything easy and removable in the future. You definitely want it to power off with the bike.

GH010017_1600735465511.jpg

Looks good, Is that the Garmin XT?

Can I ask what the 2-pin plug is called on Amazon please?

46 minutes ago, James said:

Looks good, Is that the Garmin XT?

Can I ask what the 2-pin plug is called on Amazon please?

It is the XT and with that bar up high it's so easy to see.

it doesn't look like those plugs are available on Amazon anymore it came in a package of 5 male and female and you make the plug yourself it just happened to fit the Yamaha accessories plug.

Screenshot_20210121-122940.jpg

I had a hard time finding connectors for both plugs. Odd that one's a male and the other is female. Even odder that the factory heated grip plug that I had to order from Europe only used 2 pins on the 3 pin plug.

20201006_164216_HDR.jpg

20201006_164503_HDR.jpg

Thanks for showing us those pictures @Fiddyone

I think this might be the same 

s-l400.jpg

Yamaha 2.3mm Unsealed Connector Plug. Applications: Yamaha auxilliary DC power, R6 Crankshaft sensor. Fitted to most Ténéré/MT/Tracer/R6...

4 hours ago, Hammy said:

won't one of these USB adapters power a Garmin?

images.jpeg.72c47560ce998b98fce48bd3f894845f.jpeg

Nope. USB A plugs like that are only 500 milliamps output. Tried it with my ZumoXT. Could not run backlighting for any period of time. Not to mention that over any kind of rough riding  the USB plug won’t stay connected for long. 

Hard wiring for the win. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Matth said:

Good bit of kit, heres mine with the lockable mount

F16D8706-8576-42B5-91FD-E90256B485C4.jpeg

Looks like a great solution. Especially since the side locking jaws don't clash with the speedo.

My Touratech mount for the Zumo 395 are vertical and whilst I could fit it, I wouldn't be able to remove it o put it on my XT1200 very easily.

Edited by James

Could someone, maybe @Fiddyone please confirm if I have connected the male 2-pin plug to my Garmin power supply correctly?

I assumed black to black and red to brown/yellow but wanted to check.

I'm getting 5v as expected at the Garmin mount but it's not switching the SatNav on as it does on my XT1200.

I'm worried the polarity might be wrong bit then the replacement Garmin power supply could also be faulty...

20210126_212908.jpg

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that's the same way mine is. I'll pull my panel off this weekend. The Garmin comes on when the key is turned on.

Your getting 5volts to the Garmin mount but it's not turning the GPS on?

where did you wire it in on your Super Ten about to do mine and not sure where an accessory plug is? Found a 4 pin plug by the battery.

@nelsonccc 

If you use the above pigtail from eastern beaver, and wire the Garmin to it, its switched power, with zero draw from the battery?

Additionally- when soldering the wiring, ground to ground, but the positive from the Garmin goes to blue or yellow?

Edited by Hammy

On 1/26/2021 at 8:25 PM, Hammy said:

@nelsonccc 

If you use the above pigtail from eastern beaver, and wire the Garmin to it, its switched power, with zero draw from the battery?

Additionally- when soldering the wiring, ground to ground, but the positive from the Garmin goes to blue or yellow?

I'm not sure. This past weekend I hardwired it into the battery while I wait for the easter beaver stuff. I did find the 3 pin plug on the right side so my plan is to tie the eastern beaver in there once received. My understanding is at that point the zumo will be on a 'switched power' source and should only come on when the key is turned.

From what I've read it doesn't matter what if you go blue or yellow for the positive but I have not done it yet. I'm actually pretty happy with the wiring job I did to the battery and I've noticed no excessive draw from the cradle without the GPS in it. I run mine most weekends so I'm debating leaving it connected to the battery long term. I'll make that decision once the EB stuff shows up.

I do need to figure out a way to lock it. Not theft, but rather to keep it from accidentally coming loose while riding.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, nelsonccc said:

I'm not sure. This past weekend I hardwired it into the battery while I wait for the easter beaver stuff. I did find the 3 pin plug on the right side so my plan is to tie the eastern beaver in there once received. My understanding is at that point the zumo will be on a 'switched power' source and should only come on when the key is turned.

From what I've read it doesn't matter what if you go blue or yellow for the positive but I have not done it yet. I'm actually pretty happy with the wiring job I did to the battery and I've noticed no excessive draw from the cradle without the GPS in it. I run mine most weekends so I'm debating leaving it connected to the battery long term. I'll make that decision once the EB stuff shows up.

I do need to figure out a way to lock it. Not theft, but rather to keep it from accidentally coming loose while riding.

This could help

image0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Yeah, I think it's another duff power cable from Garmin.

One of the pins appears to be shorter than the other and so might not be making contact with the Garmin Zumo. 

I've read on Amazon Reviews that the quality control on the new Garmin Zumo power cables are sub standard.

The first one I bought had a broken pin 😞

Maybe I'll be third time lucky?

Regarding the Super Ten. Touratech fitted some sort of fuse box for switched power sources despite a number of three pin plugs available. I think I connected it to the fuse box but will check and upload a photo soon.

20210126_220923.jpg

Yeay! I got my Garmin Zumo 395 powering up on ignition with the third attempt at fitting a Garmin power supply that works.

Thanks for everyone's support here 🙂

It helps to know what the right procedure is so I can identify the dodgy hardware as the problem.

20210131_233224.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Dumb question here, and I know it's a matter of opinion but, how do you like having the GPS up on the crossbar like that as compared to on the handlebars.  I have historically mounted my Zumo 595lm on the bars primarily because it is easier to reach and read.  On my 1200GS the Nav 5 is mounted up on the tower above the guage cluster.  For my aging eyes,  it is difficult to see details at times unless I zoom in.  With the BMW, I can use the wonder wheel to do that without removing my hands form the grips.  With my T7, I won't have that luxury.  Thoughts?  Opinions?

• Like 2

This is how I installed the Garmin Zumo XT, by using a Rally Raid bracket on the crossbar and connecting the electrical cable to one of the two three prong Sumitomo MT 090 Series  connectors. I have added the three prong connector splitter from Eastern Beaver to both sides..., never enough outlets! 🙂 Auxiliary lights, heated grips, GPS, more lights...

I have the phone mounted on the handlebar on a cell phone holder mounted to another Rally Raid bracket, both lightly modified! This phone setup is the best and cleanest I have used to date after trying many!

The two prong connector will be used to power a USB outlet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2