Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Clutch engagement noise from cold engine

jdub53

Question

I tried a search but didn't find any matches so here goes.

Background: I bought my T7 used in May 2021 with about 3,500 miles on it, and was told it'd already had a couple of oil changes. I changed the oil and filter on schedule at 4,000 miles, using Yamalube 10w-40 non-synthetic and 6,000 miles on the bike now.

Since the outside temps have dropped into 40s F, when starting out for a ride with a cold engine (after idling a minute or two) upon releasing the clutch for the first time it produces a very audible screech/groan while engaging. Only does it that once, with no more noise even at the two intersection stops I have to make within a few hundred yards leaving my neighborhood. Haven't really noticed any clutch shudder or jerkiness associated with the noise, and the clutch works flawlessly otherwise.

I'm thinking it's just the clutch plates reacting to the cold and probably nothing to worry about, but since I've never experiencing anything like this on any of the many other bikes I've owned figured I'd ask the question. The cold clutch in my KTM 950 Adv was a jerky monster until the oil warmed up, but it never made any noise.   

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 1

Recently started experiencing the same issue here as well described in jdub53's orginal post after 21 000 km (13 000 miles) on a 2022 machine which I owned from new and not driven too aggressively, a very similar distance for the issue to first appear as per other comments above. I don't think it is oil quality related in my case. The oil was replaced at 20 000 km at a Yamaha dealer with the factory spec oil. In my case, as per another comment above, the issue seems more related to the length of time the bike is left standing (e.g. 12 hours) than the ambient temperature. Glad to hear that it does not appear to be anything to be worry about, but it was indeed a little disconcerting when it first appeared! Hope Yamaha takes note of these forums!

'21, mine does the same.  Have been running Motul 300V in it since new.  16k miles.  One "graunch" when cold, first release of the clutch then not heard again.

The noise origin is in the engagement of the pressure plate to the top clutch fiber.

This engine clutch sits very high and does not dipped in engine oil while the engine is off, wich means the fibers arent well lubed  when you start it after it sat over night.

Its a given fact with this engine and not an issue - but you need to let your engine warm up for 30 sec or more for the plates to get some oil between them and ride the clutch softly for the first 1-2 minutes so it gets oil inside - remember that a cold engine oil is thick and takes longer to get inside the plates - especially when the clutch basket isnt dipped in oil. 

I should also note that I've change my clutch 20K ago for a different reason and have no noises since then - but i still let it warm for 30 sec and still soft on it for the first 2-3 minutes so maybe its just me that got used to operate it the way it wants.
I use fully synthetic motorex 10W50.

Edited by Interceptor

I had same issue. My dealer pulled out the clutch and the 2 outside plates were scorched. He replaced the clutch pack and so far all is well. I had him soak plates overnight before he installed them.  I have a quiet clutch. If it reoccurs I will post.

I'm having the same issue and I know it's because I've flogged the clutch more than a few times in my 17K miles when getting out of sticky situations. I'm expecting to find scorched plates and am keen on replacing them. Does anyone have experience with Barnett kevlar clutch plates on the T7 or the MT-07?