Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Acerbis tank installation

Columbo John

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John. I started searching about this tank after our chat today and just came across this post. Very helpful. Tempting... 

1 hour ago, Treps said:

Hi John. I started searching about this tank after our chat today and just came across this post. Very helpful. Tempting... 

I could tell you were showing more than a passing interest......🤣🤣

Apart from the increased range, I'm very pleased with the way the bike looks with the tank on and the quality is very good. If you do decide to go for it but don't feel confident fitting it, I'd be happy to give you assistance with it. 👍

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 12/24/2021 at 1:31 AM, Columbo John said:

There is plenty of stuff on the internet about the Acerbis tank for the Tenere 700 so I see no point in giving a "remove this screw first" type post but thought I'd share a few thoughts.

This is the 2nd Acerbis tank I've bought, the first being fitted to my CRF250L. I am impressed with that one although not everything lined up quite a well as it could have done and this one if no different. It is very well made and comes with everything you need to fit it, which isn't much to be honest as most of the fasteners from your original tank are refitted. I removed the seats, side fairings, lower plastic trim thingies and the tank cover first. Although I am getting used to the bike and taking it apart, there are so many different types of fasteners that I bag and label for each part.

The original tank is a doddle to remove, Yamaha have given us enough free wiring and tubing to tip the tank backwards so there is plenty of room to get your hands in to remove the pump wiring, the overflow pipe and fuel feed. Do your research on removing the fuel feed, they are dead easy to remove if you are pressing the right bits and a complete bas***d if you're not!!

Once the old tank was off, I removed the front and rear brackets and trial fitted the new tank. The only issue I had was that I had to re-route 'my' wiring for the auxiliary lights and satnav etc to enable the tank to sit down under its own weight. Once I was happy with this, I propped both tanks up on my bench, took a picture of how the pump was located and set about removing the 4 screws that hold the pump and fuel gauge sender in place. Care needs to be taken to ensure you don't damage the float and be careful not to damage the rubber seal. 2 minutes later, the pump was in the new tank and everything plugged back into the bike. I put some fuel in the tank, checked for leaks for a torch and after seeing none. turned the ignition on. You can hear the pump start for a few seconds and then I hit the starter. Bike started on the button as it always does.

After letting it run for a few minutes, I decided all was well so proceeded to install the fairing panels and trim. The was the tricky bit on my CRF and this one was the same. It is best to leave everything loose to begin with and then nip things up once you know everything fits. Nothing is seriously out but it isn't as spot on as the original parts. The only thing to catch me out slightly is that there are thick rubber strips affixed to rear of each side fairing panel, you wont get the panel back in place with them in place. Remove them and the fairing slots nicely into place. No mention is made of this in the instructions.

That's about it, it isn't a cheap mod and probably unnecessary for most of us but I'm hoping to ride this bike to Magadan next year, the extra fuel capacity will come in very handy 😀 The tank is well made and I feel confident to use it. 

Let me know if you have any questions, cheers and Merry Christmas 👍

p.s. Thanks to my lovely wife Maggie for buying me such a wonderful Christmas present 😍😍

I was only allowed it early because she didn't want to wrap it 🤣🤣

20211223_094914.jpg

20211223_094920.jpg

20211223_094021.jpg

20211223_094827.jpg

20211223_105640.jpg

20211223_105648.jpg

20211223_105653.jpg

Wondering how this is going after a little over a year?  I installed yesterday and filled it.  I am noticing the gas smell is really strong coming from it - it looks like maybe vapor is seeping through the plastic as there is some residue on the outside, like condensation.  Did you have this experience?

I also got the locking cap and put my tank bag on it..  I came out to the garage the next morning to gas all down the side of the tank and in my tank bag.  It looked like the locked cap wasn’t venting - I’m wondering if a tank bag shouldn’t be on top of the locking cap?

the smell is nauseating in the garage and I’m in there all day, so it’s giving me some serious remorse.

1 hour ago, eddylindenstein said:

Wondering how this is going after a little over a year?  I installed yesterday and filled it.  I am noticing the gas smell is really strong coming from it - it looks like maybe vapor is seeping through the plastic as there is some residue on the outside, like condensation.  Did you have this experience?

I also got the locking cap and put my tank bag on it..  I came out to the garage the next morning to gas all down the side of the tank and in my tank bag.  It looked like the locked cap wasn’t venting - I’m wondering if a tank bag shouldn’t be on top of the locking cap?

the smell is nauseating in the garage and I’m in there all day, so it’s giving me some serious remorse.

Hiya,

I have now done about 9,000 miles with this tank fitted to my bike and I have to say that I have never noticed any kind of petrol smell from the bike. I filled up about 20 miles home on Friday evening, was in the garage yesterday and even with that much fuel on board, there was no hint of smell. I don't remember any condensation when first fitting the tank neither. A quick change in temperature/humidity could be the cause there however.

I also have the Acerbis locking cap and seeing as this is also the breather/vent for the tank, I would guess that a tank bag probably isn't heling the issue. It's an easy thing to check out if nothing else, just leave it off for a couple of weeks.

• Like 1