Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Saw this and had to have it - Hemet brake light

NeilW

I saw an ad for the Brake Free and just had to get it. Riding in city traffic and stop and go freeway traffic, we are targets for rear end collisions caused by inattentive cage drivers. The bright red leds are at the highest point possible and will hopefully be seen in their upper peripheral vision while looking at their phone, before they hit me. 
Here is my review. Comments always welcome. 

brake-free-light-review-images-safety-mo

Brake Free Light Review: Augmenting the standard brake lights on your motorcycle with smart helmet-mounted LEDs...

Edited by NeilW
Spelling
  • Like 3

• NeilW changed the title to Saw this and had to have it - Hemet brake light

These things will cause more problems in the future than they solve now.
The more you do to get known the less people will see. Nowadays everybody is walking around in high vis jackets and the road workers who really need them don't stand out any more.
Here in the Netherlands we have as they call them "arrow cars" and i imagine they are used everywhere, big trucks with big yellow structures full with bright lights to mark moving or short time road works. Even a blind could see them but almost daily there are news items of cars running into them. Good thing they are equipped with crash absorbers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2021 at 10:06 AM, Ray Ride4life said:

These things will cause more problems in the future than they solve now.
The more you do to get known the less people will see. Nowadays everybody is walking around in high vis jackets and the road workers who really need them don't stand out any more.
Here in the Netherlands we have as they call them "arrow cars" and i imagine they are used everywhere, big trucks with big yellow structures full with bright lights to mark moving or short time road works. Even a blind could see them but almost daily there are news items of cars running into them. Good thing they are equipped with crash absorbers.

Yes if every motorcycle rider wore hi viz, had a modulating headlight and one of these Brake Free things then none of us would stand out, but fortunately for me, in the US we have motorcycle riders with no helmet and wearing t-shirts and sandals.  I don't use visibility as my first line of defense, I use defensive riding techniques as my first line of defense, then the 2nd line of making my self stand out and lastly if I have really messed up then I wear my Klim Personal AirBag to hopefully keep me alive from my stupid mistake. 

klim-ai-1-airbag-vest-review-motorcycle-

Klim Ai-1 Airbag Vest Review: Using technology from France's In&motion, the premium adventure apparel brand offers an essential motorcycle safety device.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 1/7/2022 at 4:02 PM, NeilW said:

Yes if every motorcycle rider wore hi viz, had a modulating headlight and one of these Brake Free things then none of us would stand out, but fortunately for me, in the US we have motorcycle riders with no helmet and wearing t-shirts and sandals.  I don't use visibility as my first line of defense, I use defensive riding techniques as my first line of defense, then the 2nd line of making my self stand out and lastly if I have really messed up then I wear my Klim Personal AirBag to hopefully keep me alive from my stupid mistake. 

klim-ai-1-airbag-vest-review-motorcycle-

Klim Ai-1 Airbag Vest Review: Using technology from France's In&motion, the premium adventure apparel brand offers an essential motorcycle safety device.

Great review. Did Klim sort out your ruptured vest?  I will say I was hesitant after reading that it ruptured on you but it seemed to do its job and after reading your full  review I took the plunge and purchased the rally version. Fingers crossed that I'll never need it but we all know sooner or later it happens to everyone.

5 minutes ago, kainic said:

Great review. Did Klim sort out your ruptured vest?  I will say I was hesitant after reading that it ruptured on you but it seemed to do its job and after reading your full  review I took the plunge and purchased the rally version. Fingers crossed that I'll never need it but we all know sooner or later it happens to everyone.

Yes they sent me a new one immediately. My klim airbag vest has gone off twice. First time was a trip and fall over my own feet and second time was this crash. When the bag does blow you do have to hand inflate it and make sure it hold air. The new argon gas canister comes with an adapter to hook it up to a hand pump.  You are allowed to laugh. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Moved to Protective gear.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

There is a lot of expensive safety kit out there but a good set of eyes and easy on the throttle is still the best defense imo.  Getting rear-ended usually occurs at a stop and I stop right over in a wheel track with enough room in front to scamper out of the way is troubles comes up behind.  Needless to say I watch the rearview mirror like a hawk. 

• Like 4