Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Puig Touring Windscreen

Splix

https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/puig-touring-windscreen-yamaha-tenere-700-2020-2021

I received an upgraded windscreen as a gift. Today was 45 degrees (f) so I was able to take a quick freeway loop to test it out. The windscreen is a significant improvement over the stock one, especially at freeway speeds. Helmet noise on the freeway was significantly reduced. I could hear the music in my bluetooth connected helmet much better than than I could with the stock windscreen.

The install is simple, taking 10 minutes to complete with 4 T30 screws being all that you need to adjust.

I also received a new set of T drivers, and I absolutely love them. I can't speak highly enough about how much better the upgrade was with the Powerbuilt tool set I received. They are expensive but worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074PXMJLT

I'll be installing the camel Adventure tail tidy and Minimalist rear cargo rack, replacing the stock "pumpkin" blinkers with the Cyclops Multi-Function 3.0 turn signals with the T7 kit next. I am quite excited for the tail, rack, and signal upgrade. I'll try to document the process in detail and share another post when done. I am waiting on the blinker kit to arrive, once I looked at how in depth the tail tidy install was, I decided to order the kit and replace the blinkers and flashers for full LED support.

I picked the Cyclops gear kit for the signal lamps brake light support, they light up red with the tail light when you brake. This will hopefully reducing the chance of a driver missing my brake lights. 

puig.PNG

stock.PNG

pbdrivers.PNG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

nice on the shield...

and HAWT DAYAM on the tool!...and thanks to you, it is already in my checkout box in Amazon 🤪

Edited by TimmyTheHog
  • Like 1

I have the same screen, and one thing I find it keeps the flies off my visor in the summer months.

• Like 2

How do you rate it in relation to reducing wind noise and buffeting at highway speeds? I'm 1.86m (almost 6'2), and still looking to get a smoother ride on long hauls. 

• Like 1

Results for a screen are very personal and even with the same height the results are often very different.
The physique is the first to take in count, one has long legs and the other a tall torso placing your head in different places. Arm length also matters as it places the head forward or backward.
Then you have the helmet that all have more or less different shapes but they all are different and the better brands have even different outer shells, mostly 1 for S and M and another for the L and XL.
Last variable is the jacket, not as much but i know for a fact that it does have an impact.
An often made mistake is going for a bigger screen but to prevent buffeting a smaller screen might work better and if you want to get out of the wind then buy a Goldwing or a car.
To prevent buffeting you also can try to make an (bigger) opening at the bottom of the screen. Having an airflow on the inside of the screen from the bottom can break the turbulence of the air that comes from the top down.

• Like 1

I installed the same screen at the end of November in hopes that I would get less buffeting at highway speeds. I only managed one ride but wasn't very impressed with the results. Looking at the above photos for reference, I'd say the Puig taller screen needs to have the bottom air relief like the stock shield does to help with the low pressure. I have opted to installed billet windshield adjusters (4" range of motion) to see if I can get a better result with either the Puig or stock shield. Once again, some wind noise and buffeting is expected, however I'm just trying to find a good balance of deflection and comfort. I'm 6ft, 185lbs.

20 hours ago, WalterT said:

How do you rate it in relation to reducing wind noise and buffeting at highway speeds? I'm 1.86m (almost 6'2), and still looking to get a smoother ride on long hauls. 

I'm 5'11", but very long torso. I sit more like a 6'1" person, and the noise was better but not gone. I could hear much better at freeway speeds than the stock shield allowed. It is too cold to ride in Utah for a better test, I hope to provide more updates in the spring.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, JMac14 said:

I installed the same screen at the end of November in hopes that I would get less buffeting at highway speeds. I only managed one ride but wasn't very impressed with the results. Looking at the above photos for reference, I'd say the Puig taller screen needs to have the bottom air relief like the stock shield does to help with the low pressure. I have opted to installed billet windshield adjusters (4" range of motion) to see if I can get a better result with either the Puig or stock shield. Once again, some wind noise and buffeting is expected, however I'm just trying to find a good balance of deflection and comfort. I'm 6ft, 185lbs.

Very interesting, I would also consider the adjuster if it further improves things.

I finally have all the parts for the tail tidy, blinkers and other upgrades. I hope to do them this weekend.

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2022 at 10:14 AM, Splix said:

I'm 5'11", but very long torso. I sit more like a 6'1" person, and the noise was better but not gone. I could hear much better at freeway speeds than the stock shield allowed. It is too cold to ride in Utah for a better test, I hope to provide more updates in the spring.

In another thread I saw you were going to try the clamp on spoiler. How does it compare to the full windscreen replacement?

On 3/10/2022 at 5:30 PM, CimarronEric said:

In another thread I saw you were going to try the clamp on spoiler. How does it compare to the full windscreen replacement?

Sorry for the slow reply, changing jobs and getting up to speed has my time spread a bit thin.

I went with a cheap amazon version of the Puig clip on screen. It worked decently on-road, but quickly lost positioning and become a chore off-road. I would like to try the Puig clip on scree at some point, however I'm happy enough with my Puig replacement screen I won't be getting a clip on.

I've been on two more rides with the Puig windscreen, and I can confidently say it's a big upgrade. It doesn't make the ride windless like a big cruiser, but I don't think any of us are expecting that.

Compared to the stock windscreen, this is a worthwhile upgrade that doesn't reply on clips or mounts that can bounce free or scratch the screen. I'm a big fan of this upgrade and recommend it to anyone seeking to improve from the stock offering.

I've started doing some recording when I ride using an Akaso X50 action camera, so I hope to share some videos soon of me in the Utah desert on the T7, seeking adventure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Splix said:

I've been on two more rides with the Puig windscreen, and I can confidently say it's a big upgrade. It doesn't make the ride windless like a big cruiser, but I don't think any of us are expecting that.

Compared to the stock windscreen, this is a worthwhile upgrade that doesn't reply on clips or mounts that can bounce free or scratch the screen. I'm a big fan of this upgrade and recommend it to anyone seeking to improve from the stock offering.

I've started doing some recording when I ride using an Akaso X50 action camera, so I hope to share some videos soon of me in the Utah desert on the T7, seeking adventure.

May I ask what your height is @Splix.  I'm 5'7" and need a reference point.

58 minutes ago, Landshark said:

May I ask what your height is @Splix.  I'm 5'7" and need a reference point.

I'm 5'11", however I have a longer torso than most my height. I sit more like a 6'1 person on the bike. Compared to the stock windscreen, noise and buffeting are down. If I duck down a bit it gets even better, so I imaging that it would be a great fit for you.

• Like 2

I think I'll try one.  I need something better for sure.  Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 10:17 AM, JMac14 said:

Update: We've had some warming trends here in MN and I've managed to put on 700miles with this screen and adjusted it upwards approximately 1 1/2-2" and the buffeting has significantly been reduced. It appears that without the air being able to flow under the screen (stock position does not allow this) the buffeting was more than the shorter stock shield. Very happy once I raised it up and allowed a pressure change and can comfortable cruise the freeway at 75mph+ (my least favorite type of riding).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JMac14 said:

Update: We've had some warming trends here in MN and I've managed to put on 700miles with this screen and adjusted it upwards approximately 1 1/2-2" and the buffeting has significantly been reduced. It appears that without the air being able to flow under the screen (stock position does not allow this) the buffeting was more than the shorter stock shield. Very happy once I raised it up and allowed a pressure change and can comfortable cruise the freeway at 75mph+ (my least favorite type of riding).

What did you use to raise the screen up from the stock position? I'm interested in trying this out, I did not have nearly as bad a time with stock position of the screen, but less buffeting is always better.

• 1 month later...

I just installed the Puig Touring windscreen to my T7. I mounted it onto the screen risers (3d printed) that I was using with the oem screen. I am 6' 2" with a 34" inseam and this screen, with about 1" more from my adjustable risers, makes a BIG difference. Wind buffeting on my head is much better and general turbulence is much less. I think for doing long tours this is going to be nice improvement. And my eyesight over the top of the screen is still really good. I'm thinking I could probably push the screen up to the highest point on the risers and still have a good sight-line.

Picture below shows oem screen on the Puig.

WindScreen.jpg

• Like 1

and there i went for a lower screen.

i have more air but less turbulent or pressure from the air.

im 183cm  so 6 feet.

i tried the screen adjusters. did like it but than i had to lower it when at a trail.. and my experience is that when im at a trail i just wanna go.

so i ordered a lower screen that's at the height of the nav bar.  love it. not changing it back.   maybe just the adjusters for if i go on long trips on the highway. 

but indicicef about this.

16 hours ago, CoreCass said:

and there i went for a lower screen.

i have more air but less turbulent or pressure from the air.

im 183cm  so 6 feet.

i tried the screen adjusters. did like it but than i had to lower it when at a trail.. and my experience is that when im at a trail i just wanna go.

so i ordered a lower screen that's at the height of the nav bar.  love it. not changing it back.   maybe just the adjusters for if i go on long trips on the highway. 

but indicicef about this.

With my Puig screen installed I went I did a local moderate hill climb (2.000 feet) up a rocky dirt road. When standing the screen is fine, but when sitting it is difficult to clearly see obstacles in front of me. So for me I am going to use the Puig for my tours and day to day commuting, but put on the oem screen for long off-road trips.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the Puig windscreen a few months ago because for me the stock one was ok on normal road, but on the highway it was like fighting in a boxe match, I was constantly punched left and right by the wind.
I'm 193 cm tall and I use a Seat Concepts comfort tall seat (previously I used the Rally seat, but the Seat Concept one is way better), and the wind hit me completely from the shoulders.

At first I thought to use the Puig windscreen only on long trips, but at the end I decided to keep it always installed, it's not beautiful like the stock one but the pros are way more than the cons for me.

Now I can ride with no problems in any conditions, I had no problems at all about visibility (I don't ride in the mud, I usually do some offroad but always on gravel dry roads) and the wind hit me only on the top my helmet which is fine.

The only problem I had is that with my helmet (Nolan N70-2 X) the wind hit exactly on the sunscreen, and that cause a very annoying vibration while I ride at 100+ Kmph, so at the end I solved this problem removing the sunscreen on the helmet.
Beside of this problem I can only recommend this windscreen for tall people, I'm curious to try some riser to check if this can solve the sunscreen vibration, maybe I'll buy some 3d printed or cheap one on Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...
I chose the WRS touring screen

slightly lower than the Puig, but offers excellent protection from the wind on long journeys, at 120/130 km / h the bike is much more manageable, linear. For my height (175 cm) it offers ideal protection on the helmet and shoulders and a driving comfort that I did not feel before.