Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Barkbusters on a Tenere 700...... again!

Columbo John

I know Barkbuster handguards fitted to the Tenere has been covered previously...... but I thought I add my thought considering they differ slightly from the experience of others.

I started by removing the original equipment hand guards, then the brackets from the mirror stalks and then the bar end weights. Things to remember are: a) one mirror is a left hand thread and b) the bar end weights are threaded and you need a large hex bit or Allen key to remove these 12mm I think.

With the OEM stuff removed I started with installing the threaded inserts, these have flats machined on them but seeing as they are recessed into the grips you can't actually get a spanner on them so I nipped them up by using a M8 bolt with a lock nut. I then assembled the left hand spine with the included spacer and bar end weight to find a good position for the inner clamp and then tightened everything up in a position I was happy with. Previously, I'd read that some riders had difficulty with their clutch cable fouling the spine but mine was clear by a couple of mm. 

Onto the right hand side..... the instructions state that the RHS might need spacing out with 3mm of washers!! WHAT?? This kits retails for around £120-£130 in the UK and Barkbusters sell you a 'Model Specific' kit that might need spacing with washers!! Come on guys this is shite!! If some bikes need another spacer, include it in the kit. Mine DID need the extra 3mm spacer but having a lathe in my garage, I turned a spacer as shown in the last picture. It is 11mm thick rather than the 8mm supplied and allows enough room for the throttle grip to actually rotate!

I was then able to loosely assemble the inner clamp and get everything into a good position before final tightening up. The plastics were then fitted without issue, I checked clearances on full lock etc made a couple of adjustments and made sure everything was tight.

All in all, I am happy with the handguards, the spines are super strong and the 'storm' plastics give decent weather protection but the fitting kit is rather disappointing. I know manufacturers of aftermarket kit cannot guarantee that their parts will fit with everybody else's BUT, my bike has Yamaha heated grips, if the Barkbusters only fit without heated grips, they should say so. It's not exactly rocket science is it?🤬🤬

Sorry..... rant over.

20211227_115432.jpg

20211226_130515.jpg

20211226_130345.thumb.jpg.621364de6f4a9f2f38ff381394542516.jpg

• Like 2

Got to agree it is annoying when buying 'specific kit' and it is far from that.

I opted for Acerbis handguards, then bought some aftermarket short levers and they wouldn't fit, so gave in and bought BarkBusters. Now installed, I prefer them to be fair, but the fitting isn't 'simple' even without the OEM grips and I found the handlebar bracket an unperfect fit and assume the only model specific element are the bar end jobbies.

One end bolt rounded off for me at recommended torque, so sourced some better ones, but otherwise, I do like them and they work as intended.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Burnsey said:

Got to agree it is annoying when buying 'specific kit' and it is far from that.

I opted for Acerbis handguards, then bought some aftermarket short levers and they wouldn't fit, so gave in and bought BarkBusters. Now installed, I prefer them to be fair, but the fitting isn't 'simple' even without the OEM grips and I found the handlebar bracket an unperfect fit and assume the only model specific element are the bar end jobbies.

One end bolt rounded off for me at recommended torque, so sourced some better ones, but otherwise, I do like them and they work as intended.

I like them too, this is the third pair I've fitted to various bikes and in my opinion offer the best protection of any handguards available. 

The model specific bit, just isn't good enough though.

• Like 1

Antone using VPS, I found and fitted this little OEM part, which is pretty nifty for fifteen quid a pair. 

Just another layer of protection to the guard/bar where it tends to get most action.

s-l1600.jpeg

• Like 2

Barkbusters whole premise of replacing the superior 1 pc OEM bar end weights that work, with their multi pc bar end weights that cant be tightened with the grips on is a solution in search of a problem.  All the "kit" needs to be is the spines & inner clamps (longer bolts & washers please), two M8 countersunk bolts & washers to go into the OEM bar ends, & two of the offset adapters they DON'T give you.  Clearly they tried to out think themselves.  They can take thier bar ends & stick um down under (Australia pun intended).

All the "kit" needed to be...stock bar end.  Washer.  Bolt.  Done.

image.thumb.png.6424516baee79439ed3d331e6a890433.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks nothing like my Barkbusters with bar weights. I will post a pic tomorrow but I don't have an issue.

Remember they are the original and anything else is an imitation!

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.