Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Noise reduction in open helmet

hawaiijohn

I have been aware of possible hearing problems with my new Bell ADV helmet. It is not the helmets fault, as it is a very open helmet with great visibility. However, with rides of any duration, I noticed the wind roar affecting my hearing. 

I was initially going to purchase some of the best ear buds ( Bose) but their noise canceling technology has problems with the constant wind roar (popping noises). 

I work in an area of loud noises.  I launch heavy transport aircraft . I already have noise canceling headphones, they are ok  but will not fit obviously under my helmet. 

I ran across a product called Rumble Bluetooth headset. It is not active noise canceling but is a set of earplugs that muffle noise equal to a jet engine close up. It also happens to have Bluetooth music capability, as well as phone call connectivity. 

I set out to test the unit. I won't go into unboxing, but the headset is made toughly, the ear plugs alone can deal with loud noise, the plugs fit under my helmet, and even as 60 mph I am able to listen to music atca low volume. I am able to hear car horns, sirens etc.

I really like my Rumble headset. It might be the solution you are looking for at $100.

• Like 1

Why not just wear foam earplugs?  If you want to listen to music, a Sena or Cardo headset in the helmet will work just fine through foam earplugs and actually is much easier to listen to with earplugs than without.

Honestly, it's been my experience that earbuds in helmets are a terrible, terrible way to go in comparison, in basically every single way.

That does look line a nice little headset, but like Wintersdark said, I've never had good experiences with earbuds they hurt my ears after a bit. I put a bit of foam in the ear cavity and it cut a bit of the wind buffeting.

• Like 1

Yep I had the same experiences.  Is this possibly the headset that works under a helmet? Also wintergreen, I have tried many speaker set ups. Did you miss the part about the adv helmet being very open? A speaker set up would require the volume cranked up. Same problem but now the speakers damage your hearing. These ear plugs work to an OSHA standard with no Bluetooth on at all.

8 minutes ago, hawaiijohn said:

Yep I had the same experiences.  Is this possibly the headset that works under a helmet? Also wintergreen, I have tried many speaker set ups. Did you miss the part about the adv helmet being very open? A speaker set up would require the volume cranked up. Same problem but now the speakers damage your hearing. These ear plugs work to an OSHA standard with no Bluetooth on at all.

Motorcycle headsets are put into the helmet.  Not headphones.  You put in foam earplugs, just the normal safety earplugs - super cheap and readily available everywhere.  The helmet headset attaches to your helmet, the speakers sit either in pouches specifically for that (to my knowledge, virtually all helmets have these pockets now) or if not, use a sort of velcro to attach there.

You don't need to crank up the volume to hear; when you've got earplugs in they completely block wind noise but not music.  Hence why I'm a strong advocate for foamy earplugs+helmet headset.

There isn't another option, really.  Earplugs are necessary to block wind noise.  ANC earbuds can't do that.  Without actual earplugs, you're getting so much wind noise that you need to drown it out requiring high volume - this even applies with normal non-ANC earbuds.  But cheap earbuds and a helmet headset and you're golden.  I found it works well, even with my very loud modular GMax MD01-S modular helmet; I ride with the visor open virtually always.  

I'm very familiar with ANC earbuds - I'm a blue collar factory guy who has to wear hearing protection every day, so I'm quite particular about my earbuds.  But there are simply no active noise cancelling earbuds that can handle the wind.  Hell, every set I've owned has trouble just with compressed air being released in close proximity, let alone the wild erratic air pressure at speed on a motorcycle. 

I am not sure what point you are trying to make. Seems like I have had the same equipment  you are speaking of. I thought it was ridiculous to put in ear plugs then blast music to overcome the very ear plugs you just put in. I could care less about your experiences I am just posting mine. Don't or do buy this product

• 1 month later...