Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New member uk based, looking to put the t7 on a diet

Andy Fairhurst

No messing about, I'm after losing a few kg off the bike and maybe gain a bit of performance.  I'm not after adding bling or stuff I don't need.

Top of the list listed below.

Exhaust and headers black widow.

Lithium ion battery.

Remove tail assembly looking into tail tidys and ideas like the t7 rally but not available?.

Indicators need to fit flush mount as I always rip them off any ideas?.

Remove original light assembly fit a et racing enduro type .

looking  at fitting f2r road book and a samsung active tab when needed for navigation. 

Got a few more ideas also.

Got

heated grips

Axp bash guard. 

I'm also tall with a 36" inside leg so looking at a rally seat.

Cheers Andy 

But what's the purpose of this diet? Are you intending to compete in sport events? Or is it to make bike easier to handle during regular green lane'ing?

In my opinion there's one big problem with Tenere when you trying to make it lighter - non-enduro plastics that needs protecting... unless you are OK with gluing them or replacing often, you will have to fit a crashbars, and all your diet goes through the window 😄 

What you are planning to do with suspension?

• Like 1

If you're not traveling more than 100 miles or so at a time, just fill the tank only half way.  

If you are overweight at all, lose that first and see how the bike handles.  You'd be surprised what 10 less pounds will do.  

And there are flush mount LED signals on the market.  I'd supply a link but I'm not sure where the UK shops.  

Edited by Landshark
  • Like 1

I had a choice to make ,690 enduro r with rally fairings or a t7, obviously the t7 would be better on the road.

I only ride on the road to get to the trails. I'm looking at doing the baja series, rally moto,Horwood moon,hat,and other things, the t7 is road biased it needs to be lighter for my needs, I can loose 10kg no problem and as said I don't need to fill the tank.

I'm not over weight 88kg in overalls and steel toe cap boots. Camping set up weighs between 8 kg to 12 kg kreiga rackless.

Edited by Andy Fairhurst
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bartek said:

But what's the purpose of this diet? Are you intending to compete in sport events? Or is it to make bike easier to handle during regular green lane'ing?

In my opinion there's one big problem with Tenere when you trying to make it lighter - non-enduro plastics that needs protecting... unless you are OK with gluing them or replacing often, you will have to fit a crashbars, and all your diet goes through the window 😄 

What you are planning to do with suspension?

Yes I'm after competing. Crash bars I have ,will remove when I'm ready,the plastics cost less than the crash bars,I will work on the suspension at a later date,I can ride with poor suspension as I used to it from other bikes.

Edited by Andy Fairhurst

I'm no idiot, I can ride my bike and it will be going offroad mainly,I'm not over weight and I'm a component rider,ive rode and ride larger bikes offroad. 

Oh Dear, no one trying to insult you... We just asking questions to suggest something, since we all have done something to our bikes, but this all depends what you want to do.

Since you choosed between 690 and T7 and ended up with t7 i assume you after a challenge offroad... i had 701 with rally kit and this was superior to T7 in every aspect offroad. T7 is more of a challenge.

In my humble opinion suspension should be your first point of call if you want to go fast offroad - this will also change the behaviour of the bike and the balance, i have done K-tech upgrade recently and while it upset comfort on the road it makes massive difference offroad. All of the sudden bike feels more manageable, you have more feedback and riding is much more easier... i seriously think bike feels ligter and more nimble. While previously i wanted to make the bike lighter as well now i'm not worrying about this.

You are on the lighter side with 88kg, but still - jumps on stock suspension will not be pleasant.

And in regads to plastics... on my 5th day of ownership i damaged two plastics, and it cost me 190 pounds.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bartek said:

Oh Dear, no one trying to insult you... We just asking questions to suggest something, since we all have done something to our bikes, but this all depends what you want to do.

Since you choosed between 690 and T7 and ended up with t7 i assume you after a challenge offroad... i had 701 with rally kit and this was superior to T7 in every aspect offroad. T7 is more of a challenge.

In my humble opinion suspension should be your first point of call if you want to go fast offroad - this will also change the behaviour of the bike and the balance, i have done K-tech upgrade recently and while it upset comfort on the road it makes massive difference offroad. All of the sudden bike feels more manageable, you have more feedback and riding is much more easier... i seriously think bike feels ligter and more nimble. While previously i wanted to make the bike lighter as well now i'm not worrying about this.

You are on the lighter side with 88kg, but still - jumps on stock suspension will not be pleasant.

And in regads to plastics... on my 5th day of ownership i damaged two plastics, and it cost me 190 pounds.

I was just doing my best to explain myself.  I have a few plans  that I involve riding 1000 miles on road, to the alps/pyrenees.  I have a 500 excf for shorter trips away. After i rode xt660z I have a phobia about overweight and expecially the the top heaviness. I got a gs1200 and loved it apart from ground clearance issues/cylinders heads in ruts. T7 is a great all-rounder.  

Edited by Andy Fairhurst

Ditch the tool kit that comes with the bike for a bit of savings.  Remove the rear foot pegs completely and use the leftovers for tie down points.  

I think there is a weight reduction thread somewhere on this forum.  I'd like to know what the total reduction is when you're finished.  Interesting.

12 minutes ago, Landshark said:

Ditch the tool kit that comes with the bike for a bit of savings.  Remove the rear foot pegs completely and use the leftovers for tie down points.  

I think there is a weight reduction thread somewhere on this forum.  I'd like to know what the total reduction is when you're finished.  Interesting.

Theoretical I can lose 7.2kg. With a full aftermarket exhaust and lithium battery, I can use the original on another bike. Rear foot pegs and and tail tidy should see another 2kg removed. Choosing lightweight tyres and maybe tuless and a different front light option would gain more. Realistically I could lose 20kg. Still not 690 weight but it will be more bearable on the road.

6 hours ago, Andy Fairhurst said:

After i rode xt660z I have a phobia about overweight

I have a XT660Z also and i can tell you that the T7 is on paper only 4kg lighter but it feels like it is 50kg lighter even though many people say it's a top heavy bike.

• Like 2