Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Merlin magic

Hammerhead

Because some rides I’d rather go a little more Steve McQueen than full on ADV man & it’s nice to have some options in the wardrobe.

This Merlin Perton caught the eye for it’s more understated retro stylings, comparatively  reasonable  price & rave reviews. So I gambled without a fitting & at this point can say it was well worth it. 
   Fit is spot on & it’s comfortable & warm AF. Well placed D30 armour isn’t bulky or interfering of mobility. 
Quality also appears top shelf & since it’s fresh to the collection I can’t speak of durability, but there’s no first impression reason to expect it won’t last. 
  Took very few km to appreciate it was an excellent choice. Well done Merlin, you’ve earned a recommendation &

status as a new favourite bit of kit.

27C38462-5F79-4B65-BB96-AD8F875E45AE.jpeg

EBACC7EA-7E85-4777-9BF4-BCD40D83C77C.jpeg

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 4

I agree.  Looks great even if you don't ride and just want to wear it.  I have no less than 4 adventure jackets and don't need another, according to my wife.  

• Like 1

No wife here @Landshark sooo…… could always try explaining it’s not specifically an “adventure” jacket….& tell her you’ll look REALLY  good in it….make it about her, maybe she’ll buy you one ???😂

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

Looks like an old Belstaff

Ya, Merlin offer similar stylings a little more affordably.

I have the older model from this one as a casual jacket when i have to go somewhere where i don't want to walk around like i'm on a trail. Don't have a car and public transport is not an option here so i go everywhere on the bike.

• Like 2

Ya, like my revit gear too only it’s more a full on ADV man, Starbucks suit. They offer a wide range of high quality gear but their prices can be a little eye watering sometimes. 

• Haha 1

My normal gear is from Klim and just bought a Alpine Stars Bionic action protection jacket this week.
Have the Traverse Pants and jacket plus the Marakesh jacket.
The Klim Marakesh jacket is also pretty basic and can also be worn as a casual.
The Merlin looks nice though but my next gear buy will be a jersey because the Marakesh is is a 4 way stretch which is nice and airy but still not a mesh and with the AS jacket a jersey will be the best option i think.

13 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

We used to wear Belstaff jackets in our younger days, after reading this thread decided to check out what a Belstaff Trailmaster is worth these days, wow when did this happen!!! 😬😬🥺

Convert that AU dollars, make sure your sitting down!

Screenshot_20220123-144220.png

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Stevoh said:

We used to wear Belstaff jackets in our younger days, after reading this thread decided to check out what a Belstaff Trailmaster is worth these days, wow when did this happen!!! 😬😬🥺

Convert that AU dollars, make sure your sitting down!

Screenshot_20220123-144220.png

Right?! And if you get out of the waxed cotton & into their leather offerings, that starts to look affordable! Welcome 21st century inflation.

15 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

Years ago I had an original Trialmaster. I grew out of it and sold it for $100 ( AUD ). Regretted selling it as it would have fitted Mrs 101. I was in London a few years back and bought a Trialmaster 500 in blue. I think it was made in the UK before the Italians yuppiefied the brand. Nice jacket for casual rides.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

14 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

Years ago I had an original Trialmaster. I grew out of it and sold it for $100 ( AUD ). Regretted selling it as it would have fitted Mrs 101. I was in London a few years back and bought a Trialmaster 500 in blue. I think it was made in the UK before the Italians yuppiefied the brand. Nice jacket for casual rides.

Ya, the longer styles & belts don’t do much for me.  Merlin’s a fresh brand & I believe still made in the UK. Focus on affordable quality over quantity. If this one is any indication of their potential, Belstaff have some genuine competition to contend with. 

Edited by Hammerhead

9 hours ago, Stevoh said:

It's not a Belstaff or a Merlin, but tempted to buy for the nostalgia!

Screenshot_20220124-213751.png

Screaming deal if the quality is remotely on par.

• 3 months later...
On 1/20/2022 at 3:17 PM, Hammerhead said:

Because some rides I’d rather go a little more Steve McQueen than full on ADV man & it’s nice to have some options in the wardrobe.

This Merlin Perton caught the eye for it’s more understated retro stylings, comparatively  reasonable  price & rave reviews. So I gambled without a fitting & at this point can say it was well worth it. 
   Fit is spot on & it’s comfortable & warm AF. Well placed D30 armour isn’t bulky or interfering of mobility. 
Quality also appears top shelf & since it’s fresh to the collection I can’t speak of durability, but there’s no first impression reason to expect it won’t last. 
  Took very few km to appreciate it was an excellent choice. Well done Merlin, you’ve earned a recommendation &

status as a new favourite bit of kit.

27C38462-5F79-4B65-BB96-AD8F875E45AE.jpeg

EBACC7EA-7E85-4777-9BF4-BCD40D83C77C.jpeg

Where did you acquire that?

3 hours ago, roygilbo said:

Where did you acquire that?

perton-front.jpg

Black short cut riding jacket made from Cotec highly abrasion resistant 8oz fabric.

Imported painlessly from the UK. Think I even dodged the custom markup that time.

According to my local Canada postie, that’s an arbitrary hit or miss depending on how busy they are.

Fast become a favourite jacket. Comfy AF & quite warm

for the shoulder seasons

Edited by Hammerhead

34 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:
perton-front.jpg

Black short cut riding jacket made from Cotec highly abrasion resistant 8oz fabric.

Imported painlessly from the UK. Think I even dodged the custom markup that time.

According to my local Canada postie, that’s an arbitrary hit or miss depending on how busy they are.

Fast become a favourite jacket. Comfy AF & quite warm

for the shoulder seasons

Ya, that’s nice! Out of most sizes now.  

1 hour ago, roygilbo said:

Ya, that’s nice! Out of most sizes now.  

Ya, see that. They’re the best price but not the only source. Think it was also available at SportsBikeShop too. Could  give them a search & see what’s in stock.