Jump to content
Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Merlin magic


Hammerhead
 Share

Recommended Posts

Because some rides I’d rather go a little more Steve McQueen than full on ADV man & it’s nice to have some options in the wardrobe.

  This Merlin Perton caught the eye for it’s more understated retro stylings, comparatively  reasonable  price & rave reviews. So I gambled without a fitting & at this point can say it was well worth it. 
   Fit is spot on & it’s comfortable & warm AF. Well placed D30 armour isn’t bulky or interfering of mobility. 
Quality also appears top shelf & since it’s fresh to the collection I can’t speak of durability, but there’s no first impression reason to expect it won’t last. 
  Took very few km to appreciate it was an excellent choice. Well done Merlin, you’ve earned a recommendation &

status as a new favourite bit of kit.

 

 

27C38462-5F79-4B65-BB96-AD8F875E45AE.jpeg

EBACC7EA-7E85-4777-9BF4-BCD40D83C77C.jpeg

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree.  Looks great even if you don't ride and just want to wear it.  I have no less than 4 adventure jackets and don't need another, according to my wife.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No wife here @Landshark sooo…… could always try explaining it’s not specifically an “adventure” jacket….& tell her you’ll look REALLY  good in it….make it about her, maybe she’ll buy you one ???😂

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

Looks like an old Belstaff

Ya, Merlin offer similar stylings a little more affordably.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the older model from this one as a casual jacket when i have to go somewhere where i don't want to walk around like i'm on a trail. Don't have a car and public transport is not an option here so i go everywhere on the bike.
image

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ya, like my revit gear too only it’s more a full on ADV man, Starbucks suit. They offer a wide range of high quality gear but their prices can be a little eye watering sometimes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My normal gear is from Klim and just bought a Alpine Stars Bionic action protection jacket this week.
Have the Traverse Pants and jacket plus the Marakesh jacket.
The Klim Marakesh jacket is also pretty basic and can also be worn as a casual.
The Merlin looks nice though but my next gear buy will be a jersey because the Marakesh is is a 4 way stretch which is nice and airy but still not a mesh and with the AS jacket a jersey will be the best option i think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

Ya, Merlin offer similar stylings a little more affordably.

We used to wear Belstaff jackets in our younger days, after reading this thread decided to check out what a Belstaff Trailmaster is worth these days, wow when did this happen!!! 😬😬🥺

Convert that AU dollars, make sure your sitting down!

 

 

Screenshot_20220123-144220.png

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Stevoh said:

We used to wear Belstaff jackets in our younger days, after reading this thread decided to check out what a Belstaff Trailmaster is worth these days, wow when did this happen!!! 😬😬🥺

Convert that AU dollars, make sure your sitting down!

 

 

Screenshot_20220123-144220.png

Right?! And if you get out of the waxed cotton & into their leather offerings, that starts to look affordable! Welcome 21st century inflation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

Ya, Merlin offer similar stylings a little more affordably.

Years ago I had an original Trialmaster. I grew out of it and sold it for $100 ( AUD ). Regretted selling it as it would have fitted Mrs 101. I was in London a few years back and bought a Trialmaster 500 in blue. I think it was made in the UK before the Italians yuppiefied the brand. Nice jacket for casual rides.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

Years ago I had an original Trialmaster. I grew out of it and sold it for $100 ( AUD ). Regretted selling it as it would have fitted Mrs 101. I was in London a few years back and bought a Trialmaster 500 in blue. I think it was made in the UK before the Italians yuppiefied the brand. Nice jacket for casual rides.

Ya, the longer styles & belts don’t do much for me.  Merlin’s a fresh brand & I believe still made in the UK. Focus on affordable quality over quantity. If this one is any indication of their potential, Belstaff have some genuine competition to contend with. 

Edited by Hammerhead
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not a Belstaff or a Merlin, but tempted to buy for the nostalgia!

Screenshot_20220124-213751.png

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Stevoh said:

It's not a Belstaff or a Merlin, but tempted to buy for the nostalgia!

Screenshot_20220124-213751.png

Screaming deal if the quality is remotely on par.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 1/20/2022 at 3:17 PM, Hammerhead said:

Because some rides I’d rather go a little more Steve McQueen than full on ADV man & it’s nice to have some options in the wardrobe.

  This Merlin Perton caught the eye for it’s more understated retro stylings, comparatively  reasonable  price & rave reviews. So I gambled without a fitting & at this point can say it was well worth it. 
   Fit is spot on & it’s comfortable & warm AF. Well placed D30 armour isn’t bulky or interfering of mobility. 
Quality also appears top shelf & since it’s fresh to the collection I can’t speak of durability, but there’s no first impression reason to expect it won’t last. 
  Took very few km to appreciate it was an excellent choice. Well done Merlin, you’ve earned a recommendation &

status as a new favourite bit of kit.

 

 

27C38462-5F79-4B65-BB96-AD8F875E45AE.jpeg

EBACC7EA-7E85-4777-9BF4-BCD40D83C77C.jpeg

Where did you acquire that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, roygilbo said:

Where did you acquire that?

perton-front.jpg

Black short cut riding jacket made from Cotec highly abrasion resistant 8oz fabric.

Imported painlessly from the UK. Think I even dodged the custom markup that time.

According to my local Canada postie, that’s an arbitrary hit or miss depending on how busy they are.

  Fast become a favourite jacket. Comfy AF & quite warm

for the shoulder seasons

Edited by Hammerhead
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:
perton-front.jpg

Black short cut riding jacket made from Cotec highly abrasion resistant 8oz fabric.

Imported painlessly from the UK. Think I even dodged the custom markup that time.

According to my local Canada postie, that’s an arbitrary hit or miss depending on how busy they are.

  Fast become a favourite jacket. Comfy AF & quite warm

for the shoulder seasons

Ya, that’s nice! Out of most sizes now.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, roygilbo said:

Ya, that’s nice! Out of most sizes now.  

Ya, see that. They’re the best price but not the only source. Think it was also available at SportsBikeShop too. Could  give them a search & see what’s in stock.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the look of these 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

Our Friends

Tenere across the USA

Tenere 700 Forum. We are just Tenere 700 owners and fans

Tenere700.net is not affiliated with Yamaha Motor Co and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of ea individual author and do not represent Yamaha Motor Co or Tenere700.net .

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.