Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tire pressure.

Ace402

What the deal with having to run super high tire pressures? When I raced motocross I typically ran 12-15 psi. 

36 on road

29 off road 

seems super high

is it all due to lack of a rim lock?

I checked my tires tonight at the front was at 22 psi and the rear was 36 psi. This was from the dealership.

They do great on road but are fairly useless off road. 

Why can’t we run DOT knobbies at say 18 psi and be just fine? Just better road mileage? I’m genuinely curious. 

Side note:

MT21 front with D908RR rear

or

Motoz RallZ front and rear

What would you pick?

MotoX bikes weigh a lot less, your T7 (and others) need a much firmer air cushion to protect the rim against rock strikes.

Running an ADV tire on the freeway @ 20psi will destroy the carcass in no time.

Also see what the  Pros reccomend,  with more detailed explanations. There seems to be consensus that there isn't much to gain by airing down either. 

Cheers 

• Like 2

I run 1,7 bar on front and 1,9 in the back, on and offroad.
Normally it should be 2,5 front and 2,9 rear.

Correction on my previous post, original tyre pressure is 2,2 front and 2,5 rear.

Checked it online but when i pulled the seat off for a little job i noticed the sticker with the recommended pressures.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thepointchris said:

MotoX bikes weigh a lot less, your T7 (and others) need a much firmer air cushion to protect the rim against rock strikes.

Running an ADV tire on the freeway @ 20psi will destroy the carcass in no time.

Also see what the  Pros reccomend,  with more detailed explanations. There seems to be consensus that there isn't much to gain by airing down either. 

Cheers 

+1. Rim damage from rocks, which I'm sure isn't a consideration on a motocross track, is just one of the reasons for higher pressure. This was the result of my T7's front hitting a large rock edge at speed while at 32 psi; fortunately no pinch flat and I'm sure it would have been worse with lowered pressure.

20210721_100854.thumb.jpg.fab87b86fc597848ab088952b2f2fab4.jpg

• Like 2

I started riding on my Motoz GPS -  rear at 32 PSI. On gravel it  "walks around" which I assume is the tire  crowning and running on the center strip. At 28 it is much more stable.  Running it tubeless. Lowered the front (Shinko 804) the same 4  psi to 24. 

• Moderators

@Ace402 If you go with the D908RR rear, please post up impressions,  curious as to how that tire does.  Regarding the RallyZ, great rear as per general consensus here,but the front?  Not unanimous on liking that up front.  Check out the threads in this section, lots of good information. 

Moved to Tires & Wheels so topic doesn't get buried.

• Like 3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

6 hours ago, AZJW said:

@Ace402 If you go with the D908RR rear, please post up impressions,  curious as to how that tire does.  Regarding the RallyZ, great rear as per general consensus here,but the front?  Not unanimous on liking that up front.  Check out the threads in this section, lots of good information. 

Moved to Tires & Wheels so topic doesn't get buried.

Will do

• 10 months later...

i've been running my stocks at 20 front, 17 rear... and really like it.  i only ride in town and off road.