Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tank Cover Removal

TheStig

• Premium Member

Did you just lift up  rubber seal around the filler ? 

I took both side panels off but couldn't move the cover at all, would I need to lift that seal first then slide backwards ??  

2 hours ago, cabby said:

Did you just lift up  rubber seal around the filler ? 

I took both side panels off but couldn't move the cover at all, would I need to lift that seal first then slide backwards ??  

The rubber seal grips the filler tightly but once you’ve popped the plastic grip that’s  underneath the edge of the cover away from the metal section that it’s attached to on each side by gently pulling outwards then you can ease the whole piece off around the filler area. No need to slide anything backwards now as you’ve already removed the side panels that we’re holding the cover in place. They were the only things that needed to slide backwards. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

OK got most of that, it's the prising of the cover over the metal tab on the tank that concerns me in case it breaks. 

I admit that I just had to be brave as I’ve needed to take my cover off a number of times now & I’ve luckily had no problems but i understand your concern. Why not pop into your dealer and get their mechanic to show you how Yamaha trained them to remove it without snapping it, which hopefully will take the pressure of you & put your mind at rest!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 11/3/2019 at 6:16 PM, TheStig said:

After removing all the obvious screws, make sure you slide off the indicator side panels which also lock the tank cover in place. The first picture shows the direction of the latch that holds it in place, so make sure you move the panels

“backwards”towards the seat area to “unlatch” the holding hook. Then run your finger along the gap between the tank cover and the petrol tank to prise off the cover as it’s still gripping the metal plate that holds it steady (that you’ll see in the other photos). 

87427B34-9550-4EC8-B573-6B5AB3BACE52.jpeg

62C64A59-D3AD-4636-B4D2-1077A7FA6032.jpeg

EA29B1F5-F4E9-43F6-8ABA-5F9B5DF3FF06.jpeg

Thanks for this....it was super helpful when doing my colour change!  Cheers,  Steve 

• Like 2

I wonder why Yamaha chose to design the extra plastic on top of the tank in the first place??

does seem abit odd. they could have made the tank bigger. more smiles per miles.

• 8 months later...

I used a small plastic bicycle tire tool to gently pry off tank cover .. popped right off. Never would’ve figured out without your help. Thank You 

560C1F28-AFE7-4788-A05C-70CD7E90686E.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2020 at 12:14 PM, Great Escape said:

Thanks for this....it was super helpful when doing my colour change!  Cheers,  Steve 

What’s the new color? 

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, James said:

Best wrap I've see so far!

Who made it for you?

Thanks. It was just a local car wrapping place!

• 1 year later...

Just reviewing this post. After 1.5 weeks of ownership of my new Tenere, and having successfully ridden through some gnarly gravel paths, it fell off the Jack yesterday on the right side onto the Jack handle. I’m utterly sick about it. Ordered a new side plate since that took the worst of the damage. May end up ordered a new tank cover too. This post is helpful to figure out how to remove the tank cover, which was seeming to be a bugger. C9741890-EAAD-42BB-84B8-D3BB4B0F8D97.jpeg.914f8a31148557d2ce404fe522ae6350.jpeg

On 3/21/2020 at 7:46 PM, Spuzvica said:

I wonder why Yamaha chose to design the extra plastic on top of the tank in the first place??

Cheaper for Yamaha to change the colour of the bike to suit different markets without painting 10 different colour tanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I got this, you're busy with other stuff....

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 11/3/2019 at 6:16 PM, TheStig said:

After removing all the obvious screws, make sure you slide off the indicator side panels which also lock the tank cover in place. The first picture shows the direction of the latch that holds it in place, so make sure you move the panels

“backwards”towards the seat area to “unlatch” the holding hook. Then run your finger along the gap between the tank cover and the petrol tank to prise off the cover as it’s still gripping the metal plate that holds it steady (that you’ll see in the other photos). 

87427B34-9550-4EC8-B573-6B5AB3BACE52.jpeg

62C64A59-D3AD-4636-B4D2-1077A7FA6032.jpeg

EA29B1F5-F4E9-43F6-8ABA-5F9B5DF3FF06.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures.

I’m planning on removing my tank in the next few weeks to give it a proper lick of paint and seam sealer the brackets. The pictures are very handy. 👍

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2022 at 11:54 PM, TNADVRIDER said:

Just reviewing this post. After 1.5 weeks of ownership of my new Tenere, and having successfully ridden through some gnarly gravel paths, it fell off the Jack yesterday on the right side onto the Jack handle. I’m utterly sick about it. Ordered a new side plate since that took the worst of the damage. May end up ordered a new tank cover too. This post is helpful to figure out how to remove the tank cover, which was seeming to be a bugger. C9741890-EAAD-42BB-84B8-D3BB4B0F8D97.jpeg.914f8a31148557d2ce404fe522ae6350.jpeg

Is this dented panel a side panel or a tank itself? The one with the letters "Ten" on it. If it's a separate part, do you know the part number maybe (same year/color as pictured)?

2 hours ago, lakiozoon said:

Is this dented panel a side panel or a tank itself? The one with the letters "Ten" on it. If it's a separate part, do you know the part number maybe (same year/color as pictured)?

I’m not sure. My dealer ordered the wrong part and I’ve yet to get back in there to check on the correct part(s). 

I'm pretty sure it's the tank. Having similar problems, so I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. 

I mean, it's nothing a good bodyshop repair can't fix. The dealer will probably just order a new tank that goes for more than 600.

Edited by lakiozoon
Addition

• 9 months later...