Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

London to Montenegro June 2020

Aleksandar13

Hi all, 

Below is my current route to get to our vacation home in Montenegro through the alps and along the coastline. 

Unfortunately I don't have more than 5 days so I'll have to compromise quit a bit but it should be a fun ride. 

I was trying to avoid motorways 100% but I realised that I need to get to Switzerland in one day in order to enjoy the alps and the coastal roads more. 

First day it's a bit long but should be able to achieve it if I get an early start. 

The route is still in the planing stages but I'm open to discussing and altering if someone has better suggestions. 

I've never done a trip like this but I've done 250 miles per day in the UK and will start touring a bit more to get my ass in shape 🤣

Look forward to hear your feedback. 

Cheers Aleks 

Screenshot_20191016-172055.jpg

Screenshot_20191016-172210.jpg

Screenshot_20191016-172146.jpg

Screenshot_20191016-172113.jpg

Screenshot_20191016-172220.jpg

Screenshot_20191016-172126.jpg

Edited by Aleksandar13
  • Like 1

Aleksandar13.

I wish you the best on that trip.

It seems a bit too many kms, every day, to enjoy much. 400 kms in the alps represents ~12 hours of riding if no more. I lived in London 4 years and the Alps is as far as I wanted to go in a one week trip. As cabby mentioned, no clear how you are planning to return. But everyone is different. Anyhow, enjoy it! We only live once...

By the way, what app are you using for the navigation?

4 hours ago, Phaedrus said:

Aleksandar13.

I wish you the best on that trip.

It seems a bit too many kms, every day, to enjoy much. 400 kms in the alps represents ~12 hours of riding if no more. I lived in London 4 years and the Alps is as far as I wanted to go in a one week trip. As cabby mentioned, no clear how you are planning to return. But everyone is different. Anyhow, enjoy it! We only live once...

By the way, what app are you using for the navigation?

I have allowed 5 days to get there and 5 back but this can change if I feel the need for an extra day. 

I haven't planned the back route yet. 

I've know this is stretching it a bit especially in the alps as there is alot to see and do but that's another trip on its own. I'm happy to ride 8h a days, have done it in the past. Might put another day in if I think it is needed once I've been out on it for longer weekend days and see how I feel. 

I will be doing 400 mile days before the trip and see how I feel. 

I'm using "my route app" and I find it very good. 

Very good app and easy to use. 

Aleks 

Edited by Aleksandar13

5 days to get there and 5 back should be a breeze on a T7.  I recently came back from central Italy in 3 days on an old Africa Twin & Ural sidecar, pottering along at no more than 65 mph on a mix of road types, max. mileage in a day being 440.  Sounds a great ride on a T7 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 8:29 PM, markvb said:

5 days to get there and 5 back should be a breeze on a T7.  I recently came back from central Italy in 3 days on an old Africa Twin & Ural sidecar, pottering along at no more than 65 mph on a mix of road types, max. mileage in a day being 440.  Sounds a great ride on a T7 🙂

Thank you for your feedback, I am still waiting for the bike but once it's here I will start testing daily mileage trips on a tenere to see how I feel after 8h in the saddle. 

😉

• 1 month later...

Received the bike and have started riding it when the weather has been okish ( 6 degrees with heated grips seems okish to me 🙂 ) ... After more thinking I have been re planing the trip.. 

Day 1 starts in Calais from Eurotunnel for now ( 245km of boring motorway ).

image.thumb.png.d6c3613cb187a514ee1a7ef7f65e7d80.png

Second part of Day 1 , I have opted to sit out on the motorway and try and get some better riding before I get rest.image.thumb.png.496c290581d039299092f81ff21fb01d.png

I will pre book hotel for Day 1 but not for the rest of the trip unless i decide that I can make this plan work 🙂 

Day 2 gets me into exciting roads and into Switzerland , three passes scheduled for the day and Hotel in the region of Airolo !

Screenshot 2019-12-17 at 06.00.33.png

Day 3 might be a bit of a stretch still but I get feedback from people who spend time in the alps and they say it is doable with an early start so I am optimistic 🙂 

Screenshot 2019-12-17 at 06.03.08.png

Edited by Aleksandar13

Day 5 gets me to Base ... and this is 4 days with non motorway miles 😄  

I will be doing tester weekends with luggage and intensive training for my bottom 🙂 ... If plan A does not work I will cut the hours down and add another day. I really hate motorway miles and this is the trick to get to where I want with not to much boring stuff !

Screenshot 2019-12-17 at 06.12.17.png

The Grimsel and Furka passes in Switzerland are both fantastic and I have many happy memories thrashing by VFR750 over there with the Remus can reverberating off the rock walls. Another great pass nearby is the Susten pass.

The Aareschlucht gorge near the Grimsel pass is well worth a stop. It's pretty mind-blowing and you get to walk on a suspended walk-way plus a great cafe at the other end (see link below).

Your trip sounds ace.

Cheers

Rich

staticmap?center=46.71977508%2C8.2069366

Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps.

Edited by Rich TT
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rich TT said:

The Grimsel and Furka passes in Switzerland are both fantastic and I have many happy memories thrashing by VFR750 over there with the Remus can reverberating off the rock walls. Another great pass nearby is the Susten pass.

The Aareschlucht gorge near the Grimsel pass is well worth a stop. It's pretty mind-blowing and you get to walk on a suspended walk-way plus a great cafe at the other end (see link below).

Your trip sounds ace.

Cheers

Rich

staticmap?center=46.71977508%2C8.2069366

Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps.

Thank you for the guide, I will definitely try and have a look. 

From your experience and due to my limited time would you recommend more passes in Switzerland or aim for the Italian side of the dolomites. 

I'm still planing my way back but don't want to enter Switzerland on the way back, maybe Austrian alps and schwarzwald area b500. 

Aleks 

1 hour ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Thank you for the guide, I will definitely try and have a look. 

From your experience and due to my limited time would you recommend more passes in Switzerland or aim for the Italian side of the dolomites. 

I'm still planing my way back but don't want to enter Switzerland on the way back, maybe Austrian alps and schwarzwald area b500. 

Aleks 

I'd try and do both if you can as they'll offer different routes and scenery. If you do the Grimsel and Furka only, they are two amazing passes. I just really enjoyed the Susten and it's easily made into a loop or a way home.

Cheers

Rich

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 11:39 AM, Rich TT said:

I'd try and do both if you can as they'll offer different routes and scenery. If you do the Grimsel and Furka only, they are two amazing passes. I just really enjoyed the Susten and it's easily made into a loop or a way home.

Cheers

Rich

I will adapt the route to fit them in... getting there with my list for the trip ... Christmas break I plan on doing my tool list as well as packing things to determine how much capacity I would need... 😄 

Service being done on the bike next Friday ( the first one ) 

Do you know how many Litres of space you have packed on similar trips ( trying to get an idea here as I don't camp and do not go off-road).?

Aleks 

3 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

I will adapt the route to fit them in... getting there with my list for the trip ... Christmas break I plan on doing my tool list as well as packing things to determine how much capacity I would need... 😄 

Service being done on the bike next Friday ( the first one ) 

Do you know how many Litres of space you have packed on similar trips ( trying to get an idea here as I don't camp and do not go off-road).?

Aleks 

Only light with a tank bag and small roll bag on the VFR as we weren't camping or off roading on that bike. Someone posted about what they plan to take on here in great detail plus volume. It was a great post.

Rich

• Like 1

• Premium Member

We’re all different and that is good. For me I feel and get the impression you may over think it. I pick a rough destination and be flexible in when and how I go.

Went to Sardinia from N.Ireland on Tiger 955 and had to vary route as the Monte Blanc tunnel was closed and that meant a detour that was to big a day. Sleep most of next day in my tent.

And don’t forget weather and landslides / life can change so a general heading of south east is good. I find to many hours rushing means that you miss, photo opts, long lunches and miss out the sites on the way. It’s the journey that is good to. Also a day off can be needed and or brilliant. 

Did N.Spain from Ireland on my MT-10 by happily missing out France via using Portsmouth Santander ship.

For your trip I’d definitely look into the company (Bikeshuttle) https://www.bikeshuttle.co.uk/

• Like 2

On 12/18/2019 at 9:06 PM, X Plane said:

We’re all different and that is good. For me I feel and get the impression you may over think it. I pick a rough destination and be flexible in when and how I go.

Went to Sardinia from N.Ireland on Tiger 955 and had to vary route as the Monte Blanc tunnel was closed and that meant a detour that was to big a day. Sleep most of next day in my tent.

And don’t forget weather and landslides / life can change so a general heading of south east is good. I find to many hours rushing means that you miss, photo opts, long lunches and miss out the sites on the way. It’s the journey that is good to. Also a day off can be needed and or brilliant. 

Did N.Spain from Ireland on my MT-10 by happily missing out France via using Portsmouth Santander ship.

For your trip I’d definitely look into the company that truck your bike and gear from England to the Alps and you fly in and you pick it up and you are already in the good roads. Make it fun not motorway torture. 

Thank you for your advice.. I agree that we need to enjoy the ride and get safe to the destination and I'm not in a mega rush... Planed over 5 days and if needed I'll take longer. 

Flying to the alps and shipping the bike is an option although a bit expensive, last time I checked was around £740 pounds there and back. 

Haven't done the maths yet to see if it is worth it or not. 

I would like to ride the whole route and back just for myself as an accomplishment, always wanted to do it.

I'll see how I feel after I've tested my trip setup with some long days in the saddle. 😉😊

In  the end it's a balance between time and money: if you're short on time, spend money to transport your bike and enjoy every moment you have on the roads you want to experience. If you have enough time and/or want to save some cash: ride and take alternate the highways when the land is uninteresting and small roads on the nice sections (Vosges, Black forest etc). Then even the ride there is fun.

Last year I (together with a mate) rode to Spain from the Netherlands and back: 4-5 days motorways just to get there and back on a two week trip. Going back this year and we will be shipping the bikes this time. Just calculating fuel, wear and tear, camping and overnighting cost comes to about 80% of the shipping cost+plane ticket. So for about 150€ I get to spend 5 more days riding great roads and not having to get bored on a motorway. Suddenly the choice is a no-brainer...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, WalterT said:

In  the end it's a balance between time and money: if you're short on time, spend money to transport your bike and enjoy every moment you have on the roads you want to experience. If you have enough time and/or want to save some cash: ride and take alternate the highways when the land is uninteresting and small roads on the nice sections (Vosges, Black forest etc). Then even the ride there is fun.

Last year I (together with a mate) rode to Spain from the Netherlands and back: 4-5 days motorways just to get there and back on a two week trip. Going back this year and we will be shipping the bikes this time. Just calculating fuel, wear and tear, camping and overnighting cost comes to about 80% of the shipping cost+plane ticket. So for about 150€ I get to spend 5 more days riding great roads and not having to get bored on a motorway. Suddenly the choice is a no-brainer...

Walter you are right... My first day has motorway for about 2.5h to get out of the North of France quick. After that I've included Vosges region with country lanes and enjoying the roads. Black forest is on the way back and I think if the weather holds up it should be a very good ride. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 7:47 AM, Aleksandar13 said:

Walter you are right... My first day has motorway for about 2.5h to get out of the North of France quick. After that I've included Vosges region with country lanes and enjoying the roads. Black forest is on the way back and I think if the weather holds up it should be a very good ride. 

do the vogese and then head straight to the blackforest...trust me, the blackforest is worth multiple visits...must be one of the nicest places for riding a motorcycle..

2 hours ago, nEEdLzZz said:

do the vogese and then head straight to the blackforest...trust me, the blackforest is worth multiple visits...must be one of the nicest places for riding a motorcycle..

I would like to do it both ways but I don't think I have time unless I avoid Switzerland and I wouldn't want to miss on the passes. 

• 1 month later...

Aleksandar, just be aware that Switzerland is very tough on speeding. You can get caught by radars anywhere in the country, including on very remote road, at 35km/h instead of 30km/h...They will chase you in the UK and the fine is not good for your wallet. If I may, I would strongly advise you to minimise your riding in Switzerland and to maximise your riding in Italy if you have the option. Lots and lots of Swiss bikers go to France and Italy to enjoy riding their bikes, because it has been simply become impossible over time in Switzerland...

one comment on Stan... the more south in Switzerland you get, the less radars you will see... still there

are some, but with the Ténéeré it should be easier to stay within the limits than with other bikes...

And some more advice 🙂

In June some of the higher passes may still be closed (i.e. Susten, Spluegen, Furka....) Check in advance.

It is also not uncommon, that passes are closed because of landslides etc. We experienced this last year

with Gavia and Spluegen. Try to have a "Plan B" if possible for such cases....

Another problem occuring more and more often in recent years is, that roads are temporarily closed for events.

(i.e. bicycle day, Tour de Suisse....). Also try to get as much information as possible in advance and plan

accordingly. Avoiding riding on weekends might help as well....

Regards

Patrick