Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Which original part should I have ordered with the bike?

Quant

Good Day.

I've just ordered the T7 and my dealer asked me to write him an email including the original Yamaha parts I want to add to the bike.

The thing is I don't have all the money right now to buy everything I'm planning to so I'm thinking about which parts are a priority considering criteria such as:

- I'm a noob (1 full year experience with motorbike).

- Quality of said Yamaha parts Vs unofficial.

- Price of having it originally coming with the bike VS buying it afterwards and having it installed by the mechanic (including labour cost). 

- I will be driving my bike on the roads mainly but also off roads during vacations. Right now I'm not an such an experienced driver so I don't need all the fancy Rally accessories but I do plan on going offroad of course. 

All considered right now I would be choosing to add the original engine guard as well as the skid plate. That's it. Luggages will come later maybe GIVI we'll see. Until then what to you guys think about it ?

Cheers. 

• Like 1

I'd leave it std for now if you are short of funds and only on the road. Then buy bits cheap from aliexpress when required.  Going off road on a 700cc bike when you are inexperienced might not be the best course of action.  Most learn to ride dirt on small trail/enduro bikes first. 

• Like 2

As  @Redbikejohn has mentioned, a 450 pound T7 is a HUGE bike to be learning offroad skills with. Best of luck to you.... send pictures (wink).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

11 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

As  @Redbikejohn has mentioned, a 450 pound T7 is a HUGE bike to be learning offroad skills with. Best of luck to you.... send pictures (wink).

I did my basic offroad training with my 275kg Honda Crosstourer, the intermediate with the XT660Z which felt like an enduro compared to the CT and the T7 feels more like 50kg less that the 4kg it really does compared to the XT660Z.

• Like 3

I would not buy any Yamaha parts.  I would prefer aftermarket crash bars over the Yamaha ones.  They do make a strong skid plate, but I would still look for aftermarket given the choice.

You see second hand crash bars and skid plates up for sale often.  Most times the seller has decided he wants something different or he is selling the bike, so you can get a good price on new condition 2nd hand parts.

Why would you pay someone to install any of the aftermarket parts out there?

The skid plate is 4 bolts, and most crash bars are maybe 6 or 7 bolts.  It is not rocket science.  If you can tie your shoes you can install most things out there.  

Not to sound like too much of an a**h*** It is harder to fix a flat tire than adding anything to the T7, so if you need to get someone to fit those things  I would make sure you travel with someone.

• Like 2

Just take the bike as is.  Ride it for a while and then decide what you think is needed.  Purchase maintenance items as you really should be looking after that before all else.  

• Like 1

When I negotiated the purchase of mine I got the dealer to throw in the OEM crash bars, rally seat, genuine Barkbusters , B & B bash plate , full rear B & B rack and OEM chain guide. The chain guide wasn't in stock in Australia so I bought an Acerbis and made my own bracket ( which Acerbis now supply ). 

Other than the chain guide the only other purchases I have made are the B & B tail tidy and adapter brackets for the rack as it was for the standard seat. Oh, and an Italian GPR short muffler.

As you can see I am a fan of B & B mainly because their products are really good quality at the right price and they are made in Australia!

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Ok guys thanks for your replies now it's a bit more clear what I'm gonna do with the bike. I'm sticking with crash bars and maybe skid plate for the rest I'll install them by myself maybe GIVI or else.

Bike is coming 1st of April (nojoke). 🙂

Cheers everybody. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 9:36 PM, Quant said:

Good Day.

I've just ordered the T7 and my dealer asked me to write him an email including the original Yamaha parts I want to add to the bike.

The thing is I don't have all the money right now to buy everything I'm planning to so I'm thinking about which parts are a priority considering criteria such as:

- I'm a noob (1 full year experience with motorbike).

- Quality of said Yamaha parts Vs unofficial.

- Price of having it originally coming with the bike VS buying it afterwards and having it installed by the mechanic (including labour cost). 

- I will be driving my bike on the roads mainly but also off roads during vacations. Right now I'm not an such an experienced driver so I don't need all the fancy Rally accessories but I do plan on going offroad of course. 

All considered right now I would be choosing to add the original engine guard as well as the skid plate. That's it. Luggages will come later maybe GIVI we'll see. Until then what to you guys think about it ?

Cheers. 

If you have the height, and want to ride on roads, definitely a higher rally seat (original +40mm). It’s a godsend. You’ll never look back. Even if you were wanting to lower the bike or keep original height with suspension drop it would still be great. It’s 10x more comfortable. 👍

• Like 2