Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Replacing rear wheel/axle a bit of a pain???

Stevoh

Recent booster shot in my left arm has left me with a bad case of SIRVA, strength in that arm is down to about 20%, replaced my rear brake pads and just couldn't get the rear wheel  back in, so I just used a ratchet straps and presto easy as, it's a Shet job with two good arms, I'm sure others have already done this.

IMG_20220218_191626673.jpg

Edited by Stevoh
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Stevoh said:

Recent booster shot in my left arm has left me with a bad case of SIRVA, strength in that arm is down to about 20%, replaced my rear brake pads and just couldn't get the rear wheel  back in, so I just used a ratchet straps and presto easy as, it's a Shet job with two good arms, I'm sure others have already done this.

Nice tip 

yes, I do the same. I also replaced the rear axel the other way, meaning with the bolt to screw on on the right side in the swingarm.  reason is if i have to loosen it,i can use my foot to push. much easier.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

I found i have similar issues fitting the rear wheel. i use a wooden shallow angle wedge . if the wedge is in the correct position , i just run the wheel up on it and fit the spindle. right to left as above. the brake caliper is also a pain when fitting the spindle.so i use a cable tie to hold it in place.

• Like 1

Also, don't put chain on wheel sprocket before installing axle bolt. A LOT easier without weight and pull of chain.  Just hang chain on swing arm, put it on sprocket AFTER axle is in place. Don't ask me how I know!

• Like 2

On 2/18/2022 at 1:04 AM, Stevoh said:

I changed mine easy enough without removing the wheel, unless you wanted the wheel out anyway? nice tip though, I need to install ABS rings soon. 

• Like 1

I use an air wedge to lift the wheel up to the right height for the axle install.   It is the third hand you sometimes need.

s-l400.jpg

The inflatable airbag is designed to expand the gap so as to fix or clean it with other tools in PDR tool kit, which is convient and useful while repairing the car dents. FeaturesHail Dent Repair...

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

A tip I saw somewhere was to zip tie the brake calliper bracket to the swingarm thus freeing up the rest of your hands to replace the wheel, then cut it off afterwards. I tried it the other day and it works a treat.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rumrum said:

A tip I saw somewhere was to zip tie the brake calliper bracket to the swingarm thus freeing up the rest of your hands to replace the wheel, then cut it off afterwards. I tried it the other day and it works a treat.

I’ve used a zip tie on several calipers to hold things in place……they are not cut off and don’t affect anything.

• Like 1