Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Those with, or have run the 908RR Dunlop

Kingsize

How did you like it in the rear position? I'll be running a standard 606 front, and have plenty of experience with it. But zero riding with the 908RR rear. Let me hear your good or bad experiences. 

Jason

Ive never ran one but have friends who have. They say it grips great but the mileage isnt very good. And I think they are pricey.

• Like 1

Well I took a chance on it. Local dealer had it and a 606 front. Picked them up today. I guess I'll be the guinea pig. 😆

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators
On 2/22/2022 at 11:52 PM, Kingsize said:

Well I took a chance on it. Local dealer had it and a 606 front. Picked them up today. I guess I'll be the guinea pig. 😆

Got an update on the 908?  Like you, I have plenty of experience with the D606, but I'm looking for some feedback on the 908.

Thx.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I also like to know but put a question to it when i'm here anyway.
Am i correct to see the 908 as the 606 for bigger bikes?
I heard about a Pirelli MT21 front and Dunlop D606 rear to be a good combo but the 606 stops at 130 and i want to stick to the 150 but even 140 is not available so i thing the combo is just for smaller bikes.
Still want to try it because you never find something better if you don't try something new.
Not in a hurry because the E07+/E07 are not done and i have a set of K60 Rangers ready for when they will be.

The 908 is a heavy sidewall rally tire.  I ran one on my TTR 250.  It was good enough to ride until it was toast.

• Like 1

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, katana said:

The 908 is a heavy sidewall rally tire.  I ran one on my TTR 250.  It was good enough to ride until it was toast.

Thanks for this. What kind of mileage are you getting out of them?  Reading about 908 use on heavier bikes such as a 890 or larger they're only averaging about 2,500 miles which is less than half of what I'm getting out of my MotoZ RallZ. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I only bought one, because it was a bitch to fit.  It gave decent mileage, but that was a 120kg bike.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A bit late but I will leave it here for someone interested in the future. 

It's the best rear knobby I ever used in big adv bikes. Also it lasts very long.

The Cross shape on the central knobs make them quieter in the road when riding straight but it starts to whistle the moment you incline a bit.

They are Rally tyres ment for hard pack, stones and sand, knobs do not break or crack under any abuse. Carcass is very stiff but I never had a puncture so I cannot comment on how difficult it is to break the bead. For reference, TKC 80 lasted me around 4000km, Golden tyre GT823 arround 6000km, GT723 4500km, and this D908 haven't replaced them yet at 7700km but they will make around 9000km including the full TET through all the Balkan countries.

They grip surprisingly well on dry twisties too.

• Like 1

It's been great so far! I have almost 1000 miles on it now with great wear. I'd say it's been 50/50 tar vs gravel/dirt use. Balanced well, and I'd say the only thing is it is very stiff, but it has allowed me to run lower pressures and I've had zero punctures, so win win IMO. 

I’m on my second D908RR rear. 4500 miles on the first one. I find it great off road. I ride in New England with lots of mud and rock. A little skittish on the road and not to bad noise wise.  No terrible howl like some tires I’ve run

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 10/31/2022 at 3:58 PM, Richarddd said:

I’m on my second D908RR rear. 4500 miles on the first one. I find it great off road. I ride in New England with lots of mud and rock. A little skittish on the road and not to bad noise wise.  No terrible howl like some tires I’ve run

Richarddd, which front are you running with the D908 on the rear?

At the moment I’m running a MOTOZ Rallz on front but I’m planning to go back to a Pirelli Scorpio Rally front. The Pirelli is my favorite. Great grip off road.  Pretty stable on the road. 

• Like 1

I've run two D908s in the now defunct 140 series size but not on the T700. Good tire. Likes to wag the rear end a bit more than some other choices when spinning up though IMHO.

And a BIG +1 for the Pirelli Scorpion Rally fronts for an aggressive front tire that will still do well on the street. Rallz being a bit more street friendly but a bit less grip in the muck. Most Intermediate enduro fronts & Fatties being better than either for offroad but don't live long and a bit sketchy on the pavement.