Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Broken engine case!!!

Dirt Dingler

Yeah, that's why I added "probably". Anyway, my post was "probably" more helpful than yours.

What I do know is that welding aluminum is not an especially easy task which every backwoods workshop could do.

@Ray Ride4life  already added info. Luckily, he absolutely knows what he's talking about.

• Thanks 1

Exactly the same thing happened to a guy i know. Got 2nd hand OEM bars without spacer. Talking to a dealer, at first he got the idea that warranty doesnt cover it and he got it welded. He didnt know for 2 weeks that Yamaha already sent him a new motor because they understood that he fell with oem bars and the mounting is known to be too weak.

Wasnt too expensive and bike has been great and mounting piece is now probably even stronger. He put oem bars back with the right spacer. He would have been effed anyway if they realized bars havent been in a fall.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 3:24 PM, Hibobb said:

Ooooo, that's bad! Jimmy the high school dropout was putting the crash bars on Friday afternoon!

There is the right answer. A "self inflicted wound" (not the owner)

The fact that someone could bolt this up, without having the thought process of: "the bolt's clamping force will be BENDING/BREAKING those ears", translates into, that person should be washing bikes (if dealer employed) or OPEN YOUR WALLET if the owner is trying to save a buck doing it themselves. No victim status is allowed. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 3:51 PM, BLZ2DWL said:

There is no spacer in your picture. Based on the instructions, the through bolt would tighten down on the spacer, which tightens against the other side of the engine. The broken ear you are holding would just be floating and have no tension. But if you try to tighten a bolt through two pieces of cast material with a gap in between, it is likely that one will break off. 

Exactly this. I just looked at mine and it looks like #8 is a very small diameter steel spacer (like just large enough to house the mounting through bolt) that is placed in between the 2 aluminum engine ears. If you don't that that spacer, it would be very likely to break one or both aluminum engine ears by the through bolt pulling the ears together, as mentioned here. On the other hand, I believe if the spacer is installed, it then would be very difficult to break one of the engine ears even in an impact. For that to happen the impact would have to be great enough,  considering the engine guard mounts would be sandwiched in with the 2 engine ears and that spacer, it would need to break both ears off.  While I’m sure that’s possible, it seems not likely. Or at least not usual. 

*Edit

I thought I’d add a couple pics of the steel spacer between the tabs. 

0D544A13-A2D1-44D1-98BF-2A4BC3F8ABDD.thumb.jpeg.c503aae20c1728b9e0f64d0064576600.jpeg

19E4D672-EB0E-4F82-91FC-8AE7ACA89B25.thumb.jpeg.b8997f37ab7902d3690015eed2d05d54.jpeg

Edited by DT675
Pics
  • Like 1

Well supposedly the dealer found the spacer. It fell somewhere that I could not find it and he pulled it with a magnet. Basically he told me I have two options both covered under guarantee. 

One weld the piece since it’s not an essential part and be over with it. He guaranteed it can be done and for him is the best option. He also said we don’t have to take down the engine it can be done with the engine on

get a new case and disassemble the engine to fit the part of the case that broke. 

I don’t want the engine to be opened and I am leaning toward the welding option and be done with it in a few days 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welding is the correct answer.
 In the trade 45 years. ASME section III & VIII code certified (Nuke & pressure vessel), FAA A&P certified. 

And for the "diminished resale value" whingers, it won't be noticed. It's as strong as new.

Edited by concours
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Dirt Dingler said:

the dealer found the spacer

Well that was pretty decent of him to own up to it.

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

@Dirt Dingler Did you ever watch "Long Way Round"?

The following is copied from a post on ADV Rider. You may want to mention it to your dealer...

"When Claudios frame broke, they didn't disconnect the battery (Listen up at the back - Whenever u do weld, DISCONNECT the battery, even if it isn't a microsoft, Darth Vader controlled efi chip, BMW thingy (It may arc up the battery!) ). So... they roasted the ABS/servo brake system and she no stoppie senor.
So they chucked it on the train to, um, bugger forgot, and there it was fixed (bet that cost a scheckel or two!), and continued from there"

• Haha 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

49 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

@Dirt Dingler Did you ever watch "Long Way Round"?

The following is copied from a post on ADV Rider. You may want to mention it to your dealer...

"When Claudios frame broke, they didn't disconnect the battery (Listen up at the back - Whenever u do weld, DISCONNECT the battery, even if it isn't a microsoft, Darth Vader controlled efi chip, BMW thingy (It may arc up the battery!) ). So... they roasted the ABS/servo brake system and she no stoppie senor.
So they chucked it on the train to, um, bugger forgot, and there it was fixed (bet that cost a scheckel or two!), and continued from there"

Because electrickery is scary...😱

The professional weldor will know how to connect the ground cable to prevent hillbilly drama.

• Like 1