Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

First Flat

Wardy

Well it finally happened,

Picked up a 4 inch farm spike in the rear tyre after playing Dakar Racer down some country dirt roads.

Pulled the culprit out and wasn't looking forward to changing the tube since I had heard they were a bit of a bitch.

Now to be fair I have changed about 95% of my tyres over my long dirt riding career so this experience came in handy.

Thought I would pass on a couple of tips I found along the way.

Tyre is a Motoz Tractionator, which seems to be doing the business well and I have a centre stand fitted , which in my opinion is a no brainer for big adv bikes.

So first up

I rode the bike for a short distance to help break the bead, which worked a treat

Dug out the tools and removed wheel then popped the tyre off with the levers.

Started to refit new tube

Now here was the first tip, normally on an off road /mx tyre you can get the valve in the hole pretty easy because the tyre is soft and you can get your hand in there.

Doesn't work on this big bastard, but I used a pair of needle nose pliers from the other side of tyre to grab valve stem and insert it through hole.

Worked a treat.

Fitting the tube and refitting tyre was a doddle, no where as scary as reports I had read. 

Now for tip no 2

Make sure you loosen the abs sensor enough to slide it out of the way, prob should have done it before I started but didn't make any difference to wheel removal but a lot harder to get the wheel back in when it's in the way.

Lost about 30 mins ride time. not as quick as an enduro bike change, but was pretty happy.

Hopes this helps someone out a little

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the bit of advice.  I feel your pain in trying to dig out the valve stem.  I have a valve stem retriever that works well for that but I don't carry it with me.  Maybe I'll buy a second one.  

I haven't installed a center stand but maybe it's in my future.  Food for thought.

• Like 3

Great advice @Wardy  !

Especially riding the flat tyre a little bit to break the bread is new to me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Great advice @Wardy  !

Old Enduro trick from back in the days of 6 ply tyres

• Like 2

I use on old valve, put a thin rope on it. Bring it through the rim hole and screw it in the valve stem. Then pull the stem through the hole.

IMG_20220305_154604218.jpg

IMG_20220305_154630095.jpg

• Thanks 3

tus_08_val_ste_pul.jpg

*Save yourself the extra work with this tool that quickly and easily pulls the valve stem through the hole on your rim. *Makes tire changes less frustrating while saving your fingers from getting pinched.

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

6 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Great advice @Wardy  !

This tip falls under the category of  - "why didn't I think of that?"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hibobb said:
tus_08_val_ste_pul.jpg

*Save yourself the extra work with this tool that quickly and easily pulls the valve stem through the hole on your rim. *Makes tire changes less frustrating while saving your fingers from getting pinched.

And less than 8 dollars.  Can't go wrong.   I'm sure a box of band aids cost about the same but once you add for the tetanus shot your're way over that.  Good deal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1