Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Front tire ring a bit bent

Rekiem

Hi all.

No tire flat but front tire ring is bent a bit in two places. I guess because some hits with stones, etc.. 

You need check It with your fingers to see/feel It when I Up the front tire. 

Obviously I have vibration in the front wheel. I was able to straighten out the vibration a bit by adjusting the spokes on the front wheel. But to get it right, do I have to replace the front rim?

Thanks in addvance.

EX-T700-181-BL-SI-BL-Excel-Alufelge-inkl-Edelstahlspeichen-Yamaha-Tenere-700-Felgengroesse-1-8-1_600x600@2x.jpg

I'll assume you have tube type tyres installed.  So a slight dent in the wheel you can live with.  It shouldn't give any vibration.  I've seen some pretty badly bent rim and yet the bike is still ride-able.  

A couple of things to check.  Is the tyre worn in a weird way?  Is the wheel assembly balanced?  Is the rim running true?  Those three items will cause a vibration affect if not tended to.  Then check the wheel bearings for wear.  Also check the spoke tightness and if required, tighten and loosen with a spoke torque wrench.   And this might be a long shot but perhaps you can see a bulge or valley in the side wall of the tyre to indicate tread separation and of course tyre replacement.

If you could explain the type of vibration you're getting and how you notice it that may help sort this out.  

Although, the gold rims sure look nice and any excuse for to get them is acceptable.  🤪

• Thanks 1

I guess are just the spokes. But the front tire is worn and It has a bad balance. I think I should remove the front tire to be able to properly adjust the spokes. Probably the rear ring has something is wrong. I think this a job for a good mechanic. I'm not a qualify mechanical spokes. Let's see when I'll go to replace tires. They are  worn. Next weekend I work. It will be in 14 days.

• Like 1

I just want to add that adjusting the spokes takes a bit of thought.  Educate yourself on how to accomplish this correctly.  If you want to see the outcome of spokes incorrectly tightened, get an old bicycle rim and fool with the spoke tightness to see what will happen.  This will give you an idea of what spokes do to a rim when tightened in various ways.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks. When I ride on tarmac I feel the vibration. It's looks like the front weel jump a bit. When the speed is 90 or 100 km/h the vibration stop. I replaced both tire rings on my '08 CRF450R that I had. But for adjust properly the spokes I think I will need some tools that I don't have. Like this picture. I fixed It a bit but to fix It like new I don't have skills.

images (1).jpeg

• Like 1

I have pancaked (ie flattened) my front rim twice...relatively soft rim material. I've removed the wheel assembly, removed the tire, and had to press the rim back into relative true, then adjust the spokes to have the wheel run true around the axis. It can (and has) been done. Need the proper person and equipment and it can be salvaged.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

• 2 weeks later...

It's fixed. New Continental TKC70 in front. Now It runs like new but I'm really disapointed with front ring weel. It seems fragile like smoking paper.

IMG_20220319_133049.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1