Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Any one else use a CrampBuster to ease long ride gripping of the throttle

NeilW

I have been using a Crampbuster for many years and when I take a long tour I carry an extra in case I lose mine or a friend needs one. I take it that seriously. Here is my review- comments always welcome: 

crampbuster-cb1-test-motorcycle-cruise-c

Crampbuster CB1 Test: We add this ingenious throttle assistance device to our Yamaha Ténéré 700 Project Bike with great results.

• Like 1

Sounds kind of neat. I've never used any kind of throttle assist or throttle lock on any of my trips, and I've done multiple 3-4 week, 10,000kms trips. My clutch hand tends to get sore before my throttle hand to be honest. Maybe that will change over time. I have Oxford heated grips which are a bit thicker. Any idea if there are different sizes to support larger, heated grips?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeabagInsurance said:

Sounds kind of neat. I've never used any kind of throttle assist or throttle lock on any of my trips, and I've done multiple 3-4 week, 10,000kms trips. My clutch hand tends to get sore before my throttle hand to be honest. Maybe that will change over time. I have Oxford heated grips which are a bit thicker. Any idea if there are different sizes to support larger, heated grips?

The crampbuster just takes the load off your grip. Yes they have different sizes and shapes. Check out their web site and measure your diameter and ask them for what fits. Family owned business. Very responsive except during bike weeks. They might be at Datona beach right now. Using my wrist to control the throttle instead of my grip just makes it easier. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Great product, I've used a variation of that on my Gen I FJR for years, before I installed an Audiovox cruise control.  Be Very cautious ( as in remove it) when riding dirt where you'll encounter any good sized bumps.  I tried it once on my Beta dirtbike, which was fine for slab, but as mentioned in Neil's review, it can be inadvertently applied. I found landing medium to larger bumps where the suspension was compressed sometimes added throttle at " inopportune" times. Ymmv.

• Like 3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 3/13/2022 at 6:47 AM, AZJW said:

Great product, I've used a variation of that on my Gen I FJR for years, before I installed an Audiovox cruise control.  Be Very cautious ( as in remove it) when riding dirt where you'll encounter any good sized bumps.  I tried it once on my Beta dirtbike, which was fine for slab, but as mentioned in Neil's review, it can be inadvertently applied. I found landing medium to larger bumps where the suspension was compressed sometimes added throttle at " inopportune" times. Ymmv.

Good point. In the dirt I always roll it counter clockwise away from my hand. When I get back on pavement I continue the counterclockwise until it is back in position. Ingenious design. 

8 minutes ago, Dan M said:

Another simple option is Go Cruise.  Works great.

go-cruise

Never saw that one. It is a throttle hold mechanism. I use the atlas throttle lock for long rides to hold the throttle. have the crampbuster to lessen the grip requirement all the time when on the street - never in the dirt. 

On 3/19/2022 at 5:01 PM, NeilW said:

Never saw that one. It is a throttle hold mechanism. I use the atlas throttle lock for long rides to hold the throttle. have the crampbuster to lessen the grip requirement all the time when on the street - never in the dirt. 

Yes, it is a throttle hold. When you have the throttle where you want it, you can push it forward with one finger until it rests on the brake lever or lever perch.  Closing the throttle is very easy.  The pressure on the grip is just enough to overcome the throttle spring.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 9:53 PM, NeilW said:

I have been using a Crampbuster for many years and when I take a long tour I carry an extra in case I lose mine or a friend needs one. I take it that seriously. Here is my review- comments always welcome: 

crampbuster-cb1-test-motorcycle-cruise-c

Crampbuster CB1 Test: We add this ingenious throttle assistance device to our Yamaha Ténéré 700 Project Bike with great results.

I have thought about it because my wrist starts bothering me after about 2-2 1/2 hours ride. Nothing too bad. I thought I was the only one but I have seen commends in T7's videos of people complaining about the same problem with the T7. Some say that it's the angle if the bars. 

So I've  been considering buying the Break Away Throttle Lock. I like it because it automatically disengages when you apply the front brakes. What I don't like about it is that it looks like it takes a bit too much room. But much cheaper than installing a real electronic cruise control for about 1,100 bucks.

4 hours ago, Yasenia said:

I have thought about it because my wrist starts bothering me after about 2-2 1/2 hours ride. Nothing too bad. I thought I was the only one but I have seen commends in T7's videos of people complaining about the same problem with the T7. Some say that it's the angle if the bars. 

So I've  been considering buying the Break Away Throttle Lock. I like it because it automatically disengages when you apply the front brakes. What I don't like about it is that it looks like it takes a bit too much room. But much cheaper than installing a real electronic cruise control for about 1,100 bucks.

Crampbuster is a $10 experiment. Personally I use a cramp buster AND the Atlas throttle lock. They serve different purposes. They are NOT mutually exclusive. When I have the throttle lock on my hand is off the throttle.  When using the crampbuster it is keeping me from using extra grip to move the throttle. Totally different. 

• Like 2

Just got myself some kind of "clone" (looks a bit like a CB3).

It's great, but I think the slimmer CB1 might suit my taste even better.

Thanks again @NeilW for your review, it got me into trying it by myself.

• Like 1