Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

2022 StumpJumpers Desert 100 Race April 3rd

Camel ADV

• Supporting Vendor

After being cancelled twice due to COVID, the 50th annual Stumpjumper's Desert 100 race is a go! It's a very cool event, up to 7000 people camped on-site and 1200 ish racers. The "main" classes race two 50 miles laps and the special classes (Vintage, 15 and under Kids, Ladies 50 etc) are one 50 mile lap. This is one of the few race events that has an ADV class. It's open to street-legal bikes with a factory displacement of 651cc and higher.

The ADV class is usually dominated by KTM 950 Super Enduros and 950/990 ADVs but due to COVID, it hasn't been run since the T7 and 790/890 were launched. I expect to see a good showing of both bikes this year. 2012 was the first year for the ADV Class. I didn't know about it that first year but have raced it every year since 2013. I raced a striped down F800GS 2013-2015, 1190R is 2016 and an Africa Twin in 2017-2019. Managed a 3rd in '13 and a 1st in '14. It's gruelling race; super rocky, whooped out, silt, sand and pile of embedded rock. The DNF rate is 30-50%.

The race is held in Odessa, Washington (1.5hrs west of Spokane). If you're in the area, come check it out. There are Poker Runs on Saturday and the race is Sunday... it's mayhem!

I don't have video racing this event on a T7 for the reason mentioned above, until I do in a few weeks, here are a couple videos from past years on other bikes.

*Explicit lyrics contained in the background music of the first one.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

Very well done young man.  I love your videos and your products.  Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
5 hours ago, Landshark said:

Very well done young man.  I love your videos and your products.  Keep up the good work.

Appreciated! I'm looking forward to racing the T7 this time. It'll be the most appropriate bike I've raced in this inappropriate class 🤣

• Like 4

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Appreciated! I'm looking forward to racing the T7 this time. It'll be the most appropriate bike I've raced in this inappropriate class 🤣

Far be it for us to be encouraging you to do something inappropriate.  😉  Best of luck, looking forward to seeing your stellar video and victorious finish!

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• Supporting Vendor
8 hours ago, AZJW said:

Far be it for us to be encouraging you to do something inappropriate.  😉  Best of luck, looking forward to seeing your stellar video and victorious finish!

I'm looking forward to it. It'll be great doing it on the T7, I really feel at home on it. My riding skill has increased leaps and bounds in the last few years... of course I'm also 3 yrs older and and 3 yrs fatter, so there's that to consider as well 🙃

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
6 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

The race was awesome even though I didn’t finish where I wanted to be. Had a good crash just past the 1/2 way point, damaged the rad or a hose. Limped the bike 20miles to finish with no coolant. I managed a disappointing 8th, a full hour behind the top 3 positions.

I’ll get some videos up once I’m home and have a chance to do some editing.

12390E7F-A505-461C-9139-C0754ABCCA77.jpeg

B81B39F4-D247-4E7A-B8BC-0DB2FAAB2F24.jpeg

F4CE298E-94BE-4AAE-8970-EA8AFD6E0B6F.jpeg

C1A4B686-6B4E-4C4D-AFFF-9C6E6149CA1B.jpeg

Damn, loving the look of those last two photos! Cannot wait to see this footage.

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

14 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Limped the bike 20miles to finish with no coolant

@Camel ADV No Coolant? I would have been afraid of seizing up the motor!

I am looking forward to the rest of the story and video!!

How old are you? (You are not a chick, so I can ask this....)

I'm super happy for you. Finishing any race on a 450 pound bike is a major accomplishment to be proud of.

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Supporting Vendor
On 4/4/2022 at 1:04 PM, Hibobb said:

@Camel ADV No Coolant? I would have been afraid of seizing up the motor!

I am looking forward to the rest of the story and video!!

How old are you? (You are not a chick, so I can ask this....)

I'm super happy for you. Finishing any race on a 450 pound bike is a major accomplishment to be proud of.

Riding with no coolant is a terrible idea...but I'm stubborn and I hate DNFs. I stopped a few times to let it cool down. I likely still did some damage. I'll have to bust out the compression gauge and borescope to see what the prognosis is. I knew the consequences and I made the decision to keep on riding. Perhaps I'll have a T7 CP2 engine rebuild series on YouTube shortly 😉

I'm 45yrs old. Why do you ask?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Camel ADV said:

I'm 45yrs old. Why do you ask?

I am gauging my past glories to what you are doing today.

For me, competitive stuff pretty much stopped at around 44 years. I busted up my ankle pretty bad and quit offroad riding for maybe 10 years. A few years back (maybe 9 by now) my buddies kid was doing dual-sport rides here in Wisconsin. He wasn't having any of my past glory stories and ask me to come along. That got me fired up again... They have short parts of the ride labeled "Hero" sections, that are challenging for the dual sport group. They were in awe (I am exaggerating now) of this old guy (63) getting thru the tough stuff. The boost to my ego was priceless... I ride an old 2002 XR400R offroad. Dirt simple air cooled bike, but pretty bullet proof. I don't worry about the kids stealing it on me because it is a kick start only. It is funny to see them try to kick it over!

• Like 2

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Looks awesome! 8th is definitely better than a DNF. I'm interested in the borescope and compression findings. And if it did anything, it's nothing a bit of time and a small amount of money cannot correct. 👍

• Like 1

I was there.  I rode part of the iron man and part of the adv poker run on Saturday on my yz250fx.    It should have been called the Dusty 100 this year.  

68CC538E-A989-4063-A596-7802FFEBDE51.jpeg

309BD063-1B92-4146-BA8D-BEF580055B41.jpeg

7C3B8F65-5DE0-4C53-8804-C5797F3F3370.jpeg

Edited by Redneckj
  • Like 3

• Supporting Vendor
18 hours ago, Redneckj said:

I was there.  I rode part of the iron man and part of the adv poker run on Saturday on my yz250fx.    It should have been called the Dusty 100 this year.  

68CC538E-A989-4063-A596-7802FFEBDE51.jpeg

309BD063-1B92-4146-BA8D-BEF580055B41.jpeg

7C3B8F65-5DE0-4C53-8804-C5797F3F3370.jpeg

I've raced it every year since 2013 and this was by far the dustiest. It was f'n brutal at the start and the first few miles until people spread out a bit.

Wes (Cyclops) is a savage. I've raced against him a few times... more accurate to say I've been on the race course at the same time as him on a few occasions. Great guy and a very talented rider. He got the 2nd wave holeshot one year on a 950SE.

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor

Our 2022 Desert 100 race video is up. Fair warning, there are more than a few 4 letter works littered throughout the video. Some bikes were harmed during the production of this film 🤣

• Like 4

it is just unbelievable to me that you can race that big beast and be passing guys on dirt bikes.

Thanks for putting the video together for us. I will be passing it along to friends!!

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Moderators

Good job Cory!  That looked to be a challenge on a sub 250 lb dirt bike, can only imagine horsing that T7 around that course.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• Supporting Vendor
50 minutes ago, Ace402 said:

Thanks for the update! Big question….how did the suspension do?

The suspension was super plush without bottoming... That's the magic of top-shelf parts and amazing tuners. Normally, I feel like I was hit by a truck by the time I'm done the race. This time, I felt great during and after. My forearms, shoulders and back weren't on fire like they usually are. I could have raced again the next day. 

26 minutes ago, AZJW said:

Good job Cory!  That looked to be a challenge on a sub 250 lb dirt bike, can only imagine horsing that T7 around that course.

59 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

it is just unbelievable to me that you can race that big beast and be passing guys on dirt bikes.

Thanks for putting the video together for us. I will be passing it along to friends!!

I am far more comfortable on an ADV bike than a dirtbike. Bear on a Tricycle Syndrome! Honestly, a lot of the big loose climbs are easier on a big heavy bike. They don't get deflected with every rock they hit. If you can keep your momentum and balance, you're golden.

• Like 2

Do you have George’s Gobblers or just a standard shim shuffle on the forks? I’m trying to decide if I should get gobblers on the stock suspension or just pony up for an SSS conversion with no Gobblers. 

• Supporting Vendor
1 hour ago, Ace402 said:

Do you have George’s Gobblers or just a standard shim shuffle on the forks? I’m trying to decide if I should get gobblers on the stock suspension or just pony up for an SSS conversion with no Gobblers. 

No Gobblers for the KYB SSS yet... well, not production versions anyway 😉 

I have the production Gobblers on my KTM 350XCF-W. They made a huge difference.

• Supporting Vendor

D'oh!  I cooked the rings. Parts are all back-ordered but I did find a CP2 from a crashed MT-07 with only 2000miles on it. Engine swap for the time being then will rebuild this motor when parts and free time align.

90psi dry test, jumped to 150psi with a wet test. I'm a bit surprised to see this motor's compression spec is 112psi to 143psi on #1 and 100psi to 128psi in cylinder #2. It's pretty low compression motor to start with.

IMG_2437.JPG

Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 8.38.42 PM.png

• Like 2

• Moderators

Yah, but no DNF!

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, AZJW said:

Yah, but no DNF!

Agreed!

• Thanks 1