Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Klim Personal Air Bag - watch it blow

NeilW

In case any of you are curious if the Klim Personal air bag actually knows when to blow - it does and it did. I was in the dirt and forgot to set it to Adventure Mode ( usually won't blow at slower speeds) and I tripped . It blew before I hit the ground.  $90 Argon cartridge replacement required..but on the bright side, In N Motion loved the video and sent me a T shirt 🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

@NeilW Awesome!  Thanks for the demo and since I emulate this when I run in moto boots,  I think an Airbag vest is in my future!

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 5 weeks later...

Looking into this also.  Do you have to send back to Klim if accidently deployed?

No. You just buy a $90 argon gas cylinder and replace the gas cylinder by yourself. Simple 2 minute procedure. They do want you to blow it up with regular air to make sure it doesn’t have any holes first. 

5 minutes ago, NeilW said:

No. You just buy a $90 argon gas cylinder and replace the gas cylinder by yourself. Simple 2 minute procedure. They do want you to blow it up with regular air to make sure it doesn’t have any holes first. 

Then it would have cost me $270 2 weeks ago... not for offroad use i think.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Then it would have cost me $270 2 weeks ago... not for offroad use i think.

Ha. Actually there is an adventure mode that I didn’t have at the time of the trip. It pretty much won’t blow below 25 mph. Also you can turn it off with your iPhone or Apple Watch. Just remember to turn it back in for the ride home. 

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

@NeilW I'm still waffling as to which vest to get and have narrowed it down to the Alpinestars Tech Air 5 or their newly released Off road version or the Klim Air Vest.  Did you happen to evaluate the A* Tech Air 5 and if so, why did you choose the Klim over it?  

alpinestars-logo_7da746d4-a970-40ec-8416

Discover the Alpinestars range of autonomous motorcycle airbag systems. The Tech-Air® 10, Tech-Air® 3, and Tech-Air® OFF-ROAD V2. The result of more than half a century of innovation and product...

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Helite Turtle II.  Low tech, mechanical only deployment,  Fully torso coverage,  proven in crash tests.

I wear it whenever I ride, a great investment in protection!

Built in back protector also!

Edited by ADVUSA

9 hours ago, AZJW said:

@NeilW I'm still waffling as to which vest to get and have narrowed it down to the Alpinestars Tech Air 5 or their newly released Off road version or the Klim Air Vest.  Did you happen to evaluate the A* Tech Air 5 and if so, why did you choose the Klim over it?  

alpinestars-logo_7da746d4-a970-40ec-8416

Discover the Alpinestars range of autonomous motorcycle airbag systems. The Tech-Air® 10, Tech-Air® 3, and Tech-Air® OFF-ROAD V2. The result of more than half a century of innovation and product...

I haven’t tried rhe others but if money is no object I would buy the Klim if I had to do it again because I know it works. I tested it at 30mph. But my second choice is the helite turtle. Because of the co2 cartridge being cheap ( can carry several extra until you stop forgetting to unhook it…and  not having to charge it before riding. 

23 hours ago, NeilW said:

I haven’t tried rhe others but if money is no object I would buy the Klim if I had to do it again because I know it works. I tested it at 30mph. But my second choice is the helite turtle. Because of the co2 cartridge being cheap ( can carry several extra until you stop forgetting to unhook it…and  not having to charge it before riding. 

I'm surprised but I haven't had an mistaken deployment due to forgetting the Teather, a few mistaken tugs though! 

The Helite Turtle II is great, no crash deployment to speak of.

15 minutes ago, ADVUSA said:

I'm surprised but I haven't had an mistaken deployment due to forgetting the Teather, a few mistaken tugs though! 

The Helite Turtle II is great, no crash deployment to speak of.

during the winter I take too many steps away from my heated gear wire, several times. That is why I suggest carrying extra co2 cartridges.  My Klim Argon gas cartridge is $90 a blow.