Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Valve adjustment

WingVetteStrom

Question

Do I have this right?   Adjusting the valves requires engine removal?

Strongly considering getting on a list for a T700, but this really caught my attention.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

Thanks

• Dislike 1

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

@Samm, Nice!! Stuff like this is why I am on this site! Thank You....

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

@Samm Did you buy a valve shim kit off the internet (if so, link please) or are you buying individual shims from the dealer? I have read that some kits may not fill a guys need.

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Our shims are 7.48mm diameter. I ordered this kit because I like to have spares for future use:

https://www.amazon.ca/Hot-Cams-HCSHIM01-Shim-Kit/dp/B000UKM6LG/ref=asc_df_B000UKM6LG/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292970376231&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=367044826301634645&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9104992&hvtargid=pla-627406432752&psc=1

The kit comes in handy if you're a dumbass like I am and do your math wrong. After checking my gaps after the initial adjustment I realized I added instead of subtracted and actually tightened my clearances. Pulled the cams, buckets, and shims back out and did the walk of shame back to the shim kit...  

However you could save a bit of money and ensure you get the right number of the right size shims by checking your clearances, pulling out the existing shims, and doing the math (properly) to find out exactly what shims you need. There's a good chance you'll need more than 3 of one size shim (the kit supplies only 3 of each size) if Yamaha put in all the same sized shims and your valves have worn somewhat evenly. You can buy 5 packs of shims all one size all over the internet:

https://fortnine.ca/en/moose-7-48mm-valve-shim

And just to confirm, I was able to get the valve cover back on without removing engine bolts. Was it tight? Yes. But if you go slow, use the frame dent, push up against your wiring harness, and try a couple different approach angles, you will get it.

Edited by Samm
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

@Samm, once again... Thank you!

• Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

On 8/14/2022 at 3:57 AM, Samm said:

I took my valve cover off today and was able to remove it without messing with any engine mounting bolts. Rad comes out, brake line mounting bolt on right side comes out, disconnect all right side electrical connectors and remove the plastic bracket that they sit on. There are a few other bits as well just can’t remember at the moment…

After all that I still thought it was going to be impossible to pull the cover off however on the right side there is a depression in the tubular frame. If you get the corner of the cover into that hollow it gives you just enough wiggle room to sneak the cover off. There is no dent in the left side frame so I can only assume Yamaha designed that for this reason alone. Still tight but doable, no damage to my gasket.

Most valves are at the lower limit and three of my exhaust valves are too tight so I’ll be shimming tomorrow - 33000ish km.

27235EA8-2F7F-43E8-8AB1-0E6ACD90CAB7.jpeg

Well done Sir !

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, thruster said:

Fyi

Just had the dealer do my valves at 22000 and they were out of spec. 

How much did they charge?

44 minutes ago, thruster said:

20230811_125628.jpg

Well they did replace your spark plugs and coolant.. OUCH. 

Only $500 for valves and plugs? That's a great deal.

I am SURE that most Bay Area California dealers will charge more for this. Most dealers charge $350 for a basic service which is an oil change and chain lube.

13 hours ago, Hogan said:

I noticed a few people saying their valves were 'in spec' and didn't need adjusting.

Be aware that you have to account for the wear that will occur between now and the next check. And the fact that the clearance will tighten with heat.

It's considered good form to put all valves back to the upper limit of the spec, just as if you would do if working on a screw adjustment type rocker.

A professional shop shouldn't charge you for each shim (8 shims on a 2cylinder, or 16 on a 4 cylinder would be expensive) as they will not only have a stock of new shims, but also shims collected from other jobs that can be reused.

Also if you are going to buy the shim kits, get them off aliexpress. You will save a lot of money.

The reality is Hot Cams and all the other resellers are just buying these kits off aliexpress in bulk and then sticking their own sticker on it.

If you run out of the one size, just use the next closest size. The clearance doesn't have to be exact.

I'll disagree here. If the valves are in spec when checked it means they are good to go until the next required check.  If that wasn't the case the service manuals would be written a lot different than they are today.

Edited by Simmons1
  • Like 2

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

On 8/14/2022 at 2:57 AM, Samm said:

I took my valve cover off today and was able to remove it without messing with any engine mounting bolts. Rad comes out, brake line mounting bolt on right side comes out, disconnect all right side electrical connectors and remove the plastic bracket that they sit on. There are a few other bits as well just can’t remember at the moment…

After all that I still thought it was going to be impossible to pull the cover off however on the right side there is a depression in the tubular frame. If you get the corner of the cover into that hollow it gives you just enough wiggle room to sneak the cover off. There is no dent in the left side frame so I can only assume Yamaha designed that for this reason alone. Still tight but doable, no damage to my gasket.

Most valves are at the lower limit and three of my exhaust valves are too tight so I’ll be shimming tomorrow - 33000ish km.

27235EA8-2F7F-43E8-8AB1-0E6ACD90CAB7.jpeg

What about the ABS pump, was enough to just loosen it and wiggle it around ?

3 hours ago, Prestone said:

What about the ABS pump, was enough to just loosen it and wiggle it around ?

I can’t remember, it was a while back…but I don’t recall loosening the ABS pump 

Did mine on this Easter-weekend. 37.000 km and six out of eight were out of specs.

I think that the recommended service interval, 40.000 km, is way too long. Going to check mine every 20.000 km's from now on.

While doing the check, I realized that when You service the  forks at the same time, you get the forks out of the way and you have more room to work.

And no need to crouch in akward positions.

Did not tilt the engine. Removed all fairings, radiator and tank. Then I moved the main wire harness to the left side of the frame.

This gave enough room to get the valve cover 'easily' out.

image.png.a0bb28cd8834283e4012a366d8e2b240.png

No need for any special tools. If you have good tools, patience and some common sense, you are good to go!

Have the service manual at hand and take a lot of pictures, so that you get the wires back to their original positions.

And the one black female connector that is seems to be missing it's male connector, is for the radiator fan....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

On 8/11/2023 at 8:58 PM, thruster said:

20230811_125628.jpg

Is that the actual clearance range? It appears yours were bang on if so. 

The work order says exhaust valves out of spec.  Not sure what the range is but I trust there work.

6 hours ago, thruster said:

The work order says exhaust valves out of spec.  Not sure what the range is but I trust there work.

Yeah, reading it maybe 6 thou and 10 though was what they set it to, in the middle of the range, not what they found  👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Totti said:

Did mine on this Easter-weekend. 37.000 km and six out of eight were out of specs.

I think that the recommended service interval, 40.000 km, is way too long. Going to check mine every 20.000 km's from now on.

While doing the check, I realized that when You service the  forks at the same time, you get the forks out of the way and you have more room to work.

And no need to crouch in akward positions.

Did not tilt the engine. Removed all fairings, radiator and tank. Then I moved the main wire harness to the left side of the frame.

This gave enough room to get the valve cover 'easily' out.

image.png.a0bb28cd8834283e4012a366d8e2b240.png

No need for any special tools. If you have good tools, patience and some common sense, you are good to go!

Have the service manual at hand and take a lot of pictures, so that you get the wires back to their original positions.

And the one black female connector that is seems to be missing it's male connector, is for the radiator fan....

If you ever have to unscrew the exhaust replace the studs, nuts and washers with stainless components.

Nuts and studs you'll get at a local hardware shop. For the washers I use self locking ones from Nord-Lock everywhere on the bike where it makes sense.

Stainless_A2.jpg

• Like 2

@Samm and @Totti thanks for info re valve clearance.  The Yamaha CP3 (I have a Tracer with 30k miles) seems to have tight exhaust valves at the first check (at least) and I was wondering if the CP2 was going to be similar.  Have 17k miles on my T7 so I am guessing a valve check before any big trips is in order.  

• Like 1