Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rear brakes do not work!

SKIPNOMAD

Question

I went to go for a short ride on the T7 after it had sat for too long and realized my back brakes do not work. The pads are fine as I have about 3700 miles on them. And I have taken the extra brake fluid out so that it a little below the full mark. Not sure why they would not work. Any help would be much appreciated.

They also said they opened up the old one and found trash in it and pistons badly worn...

Bike has 2700 miles..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetdr21 said:

They also said they opened up the old one and found trash in it and pistons badly worn...

Bike has 2700 miles..

This is way off the scale of quality assurance for sure.  What exactly is causing the leak? Bad seals, assembly, something else or a combination. My rears have the typical "spongy OEM" feel to them, no loss of brake and I havent heard of this on the tenere 700 facebook forums.

Cause and effect.

Cause 1 - The rear brake doesn't work well enough and master cylinder is getting hammered by riders consistently pressing really hard and extended to get any braking out of it.

Cause 2 - The return spring is weak, a bit of dirt in the brake pedal pivot makes the brake not return properly, wears out pads prematurely and heats up the brakes. Brakes work even less. See Cause 1.

Effect - a damaged master cylinder (and even less braking).

Edited by TimeMachine

I will change my fluid for the racing version. On Lyssevegen in Norway i lost the rear on my way down.
Luckily just after the last hairpin.

Was riding my 33 year old Honda Transalp today. Its rear drum brake worked way better than the T7's rear disk.

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Update on the new master cylinder..

It still works as it should despite being parked due to an injury and subsequent rehab for almost 4 months..  So the new master cylinder fixed it, and despite being out of warranty Yamaha covered it, parts and labor...

• Like 3

On 6/30/2022 at 11:49 AM, NeilW said:

Just saying that my issues is solid brake pedal and normal brake response for part of a ride and then the pedal goes to the ground with zero brake response. The rotor is always hot.  ( an no I am not riding the brake pedal)

On 6/30/2022 at 2:20 PM, Hollybrook said:

That sounds like your brake fluid is boiling.

On 6/30/2022 at 2:37 PM, NeilW said:

Agreed, but don't know why. I have stated on this and many threads. My foot is away from the pedal and I have to consciously move it to the pedal to use the rear brake. I am a front braker in the dirt and street. weird.

These posts are almost a year old, but here's some input anyway.  The likely answer to early brake pad wear and boiling brake fluid is the brake is dragging.

Why? Because the lever is sticking, not returning to the full release position. Cory Hanson at Camel ADV sussed this out and engineered an improvement. Go to 15:20 in this vid and see his explanation of the problem and the fix.

None of that addresses faulty master cylinders, which would be a separate problem if/where it exists. So, one at a time.

:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, one wheel drive said:

These posts are almost a year old, but here's some input anyway.  The likely answer to early brake pad wear and boiling brake fluid is the brake is dragging.

Why? Because the lever is sticking, not returning to the full release position. Cory Hanson at Camel ADV sussed this out and engineered an improvement. Go to 15:20 in this vid and see his explanation of the problem and the fix.

None of that addresses faulty master cylinders, which would be a separate problem if/where it exists. So, one at a time.

:

I haven’t had a single issue with the rear brake since installing the FIX after Yamaha replaced my rotor and brakes. The End. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
On 5/31/2022 at 12:19 AM, SKIPNOMAD said:

Yes I did , thanks for asking

@SKIPNOMAD And SKIPNOMAD share what was the fix, don’t be shy.

Suspect extra brake would have only needed removed if was topped up with worn pads and then piston was pushed back to fit new pads….
So What fixed it?

Cory at Camel ADV makes a profound statement in his video about brake preference when he compares dirt bike guys with road guys. Coming from a dirt background I hated the long stroke and vague feel of the stock set up. Now I love "The Fix" on my bike. But I traded with a road only friend to ride his BMW GS750 which he bought to try off-road riding. We only swapped for about 30 miles. I hated the "nonexistent" rear brakes which were just like the stock T7 brakes to me. Meanwhile he cooked my rear brake! Changed the color of the rotor 😮  He said my rear brake was too sensitive and he preferred his 3" travel set up. In over 6000 miles I had never overheated the rear brakes on my T7. Go figure.

Edited by Husafreak
  • Confused 1