Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Foam Filter for Yamaha Tenere 700

Cruizin

Part # BW3-14450-UF

As someone posted this on another thread, Yamaha has a foam filter for the Tenere 700. If you ride off road in dry conditions, you will want this and some filter oil. Most any brand filter oil works. Apply the filter oil, let then squeeze excess out of the filter. Do not twist or Wring it, just squeeze excess oil out. Then, let it sit in a clean area for an hour or two. Then, install and go ride!

I usually keep 2-4 extra filters for my dirtbikes on hand oiled up, in zip lock bags.

I also often use grease on the bottom of my filter to stop dirt from getting sucked in under the filter, but sure if that is possible on this bike yet? 

Here is the Yamaha filter and part number.

6536634E-1C72-4279-B642-1F18CAB1F212.thumb.jpeg.9c5202b45877aa2adc2d161d301b0ba2.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I'll be ordering a few of those for sure!

Thanks for posting!

James 2021 Tenere 700 - Black

It's not available from any UK dealers at the moment as far as I can tell, also not available from the usually reliable CMSNL.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

Is this used in place of the stock paper filter? 
Or does this work in tandem with the paper filter?  (like a pre-filter?) 

Also, what is the change interval for these? (people mentioning having a few of these on hand, is this something that gets swapped out often?) 

Tazmool

• Like 1

You use foam filter instead of paper one, but you only need it when you ride mostly off-road in very dusty environment.

No need to use it on-road. Foam filter is washable so you can use it many times and for a long time, until it's physically broken.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This Australian youtube movie is worth viewing if you are considering the Foam Filter option. The Filter manufacturer gives a couple of useful tips for very dusty conditions also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

When I picked up the bike the dealer supplied a foam filter for free should I wait until the paper filter has to be replaced and then use the foam filter. I will be mainly riding on the bitumen.

I was thinking of getting a prefilter in case I go off-road, could I just get a piece of foam and put it over the snorkel with a electrical tie holding it on.

I notice the rubber insert part of the snorkel that goes down the middle of the filter goes down a long way nearly to the bottom would there be any benefit in cutting half of it off so the air circulates near the middle of the filter

81A23149-21AF-4B19-8894-F39487F9ACC8.jpeg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Southcoastbiker said:

When I picked up the bike the dealer supplied a foam filter for free should I wait until the paper filter has to be replaced and then use the foam filter. I will be mainly riding on the bitumen.

I was thinking of getting a prefilter in case I go off-road, could I just get a piece of foam and put it over the snorkel with a electrical tie holding it on.

I notice the rubber insert part of the snorkel that goes down the middle of the filter goes down a long way nearly to the bottom would there be any benefit in cutting half of it off so the air circulates near the middle of the filter

81A23149-21AF-4B19-8894-F39487F9ACC8.jpeg

You can trim 12mm to 15mm off the bottom of the snorkel, any more and it can affect the induction harmonics according to unifilter (with a standard tune). 

My bike came with the foam filter already fitted, I didn't receive the original element. I wonder how the standard filter would go with an oiled foam sleeve over it? I might have to give them a call and see if I can get it back for road use only.

Edited by Whitey66

• 2 months later...

How much are y'all paying for the filters?  I snagged the stock foam filter (made by unifilter?), unifilter snorkel pre-filter, and extra foam for $81 USD from unifilter in Australia.  Ordered from uniflow.com.au

The pre filter looks like a good idea, even if you run the stock paper filter.  

t_AU-6250-Fitted-Web.jpg

Edited by tj3089
  • Like 2

😀 they are standard in Australia. I just had to buy the prefilter for $30 Oz dollars.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

You can order the filter directly from their website which would be the cheapest way. I will just order the foam filter and source the spring locally and use some shock cord to fix it to the snorkel 

Unifilter Australia is the world's leading manufacturer of foam air filters for Automotive, Motorcycle, Performance and Industrial applications.

• 1 month later...
On 2/29/2020 at 2:14 PM, r2r said:

I got mine yesterday, ordered from Touratech:

https://shop.touratech.com/unifilter-main-filter-for-yamaha-tenere-700.html

On 7/14/2020 at 3:59 PM, tj3089 said:

How much are y'all paying for the filters?  I snagged the stock foam filter (made by unifilter?), unifilter snorkel pre-filter, and extra foam for $81 USD from unifilter in Australia.  Ordered from uniflow.com.au

The pre filter looks like a good idea, even if you run the stock paper filter.  

t_AU-6250-Fitted-Web.jpg

Please share with us:

*  Did you cut the snorkel 12mm to 15mm per Uni engineering recommendation?

*  Was there any improvement or decline in throttle / engine response or is it the same?

* Overall what are your impressions of the Uni choice?

On 2/29/2020 at 2:14 PM, r2r said:

I got mine yesterday, ordered from Touratech:

https://shop.touratech.com/unifilter-main-filter-for-yamaha-tenere-700.html

Please share with us:

*  Was there any improvement or decline in throttle / engine response or is it the same?

1 hour ago, ADVUSA said:

Please share with us:

-Yes I trimmed it 15mm.

- Engine response feels the same to me, definitely no negative effects.

- I am happy overall, but I wish they used a thicker foam or dual layers like UNI usa does. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ADVUSA said:

Please share with us:

I cannot say anything because I sold T700 three weeks later and didn't install the Unifilter.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone in the US been able to by the Yamaha oiled foam filter mentioned above... BW3-14450-UF

I haven't been able to find it and the dealers cannot find that part number...?

1 hour ago, 21T7 said:

Has anyone in the US been able to by the Yamaha oiled foam filter mentioned above... BW3-14450-UF

I haven't been able to find it and the dealers cannot find that part number...?

EBAY