Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What App for reading error codes?

ADVUSA

Question

For the first time I connected the following:

* Compatible OBD2  connector to diagnostic port using similar to below-->

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133803276375?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1UdzT5O22T0eUNpgBqpeSYA1&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=133803276375&targetid=1644837434523&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9003323&poi=&campaignid=16743749222&mkgroupid=138744546207&rlsatarget=pla-1644837434523&abcId=9300842&merchantid=6296724&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxtSSBhDYARIsAEn0thRigWVKYfPc3bAHrJizyusc9u0gH8OhE9_BVAWwCS5DdZ6AygTIoycaAoUVEALw_wcB

* BlueDriver Bluetooth adapter to the cable above

* BlueDriver software loaded on Android phone (worked fine in the past with a Car)

This software attempted to read codes INTO MY CAR VIN. A call to support stated the BlueDriver App does not support the Tenere 700

What mobile App are you using on Android that can read the Diagnotic Codes?

4 answers to this question

I quit using BT stuff, I Just plug my ODB reader into the bike and reads codes off of it vice using a BT interface and smart phone. Just need the Yamaha Adapter to connect it up-it is a ODBII plug to a 4 pin yamaha connector. They have a bunch on Amazon.

Edited by Firebolter

40 minutes ago, Firebolter said:

I quit using BT stuff, I Just plug my ODB reader into the bike and reads codes off of it vice using a BT interface and smart phone. Just need the Yamaha Adapter to connect it up-it is a ODBII plug to a 4 pin yamaha connector. They have a bunch on Amazon.

Yeah,  the cable I have is compatible per previous different T7 blog sites / peoples recommendations. Prefer not to purchase any more gear, just get an app that works!

On the Facebook tenere 700 usa site someone reported any ODBII code reader will work.  Learning more...

• Like 1

Any odb2 app will work with a Bluetooth odb2 reader.

I personally prefer Torque ODB, but ScanTool's app is good too.  There's a bunch of other apps as well which while generally less feature rich work pretty well 

Apps are WAY better than using a ODB2 code reader dongle because they're ONLY code readers, while the Bluetooth modules + apps can do live monitoring and so much more as well, not to mention provide direct Google links to what codes mean.

@Firebolter why would you prefer a dongle to a Bluetooth module and phone app?  Unless you've got a *very* expensive setup, the dongles are hot garbage in comparison.  Whereas even the cheapest Bluetooth modules will provide full range data with live monitoring, and a better dongle can be left connected 24/7 safely (ScanTool LX, etc).  I mean, if you're getting the super cheap $5 blue Bluetooth modules from AliExpress, sure, there's a chance any given one may just not work, but that's always a danger with super-cheap Chinese kit.