Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Klim one piece riding suit review

NeilW

I always wondered about one piece riding suits and got the opportunity to get one. I chose the klim Hardanger one piece suit. Has it for a while and wrote a review for  ultimate Motorcycling. Your comments are always welcome. 
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2022/04/15/klim-hardanger-one-piece-suit-review-around-the-world-ready/78C1C606-C51B-474B-9720-80E1E6440D6F.jpeg.f526d39b5b3b96bbb9f77222ea91dc3f.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice write up.  Interesting that you wear your airbag vest under the suit? 

3 hours ago, kainic said:

Nice write up.  Interesting that you wear your airbag vest under the suit? 

Thx. Yes the air bag has to be protected. The airbag doesn’t have any abrasion protection. I were it all the time now. I just feel safer with it on since I have proven it works. This is me tripping. 

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

One piece makes it hard to go Poo in a hurry. 

You didn’t read my review. I explain how to get in and out of the suit. I timed it to my ankles in 16 seconds! Please read my review. 

A solid yeah, Nah for me. Waist zips are as onesie as I wanna get & even those see rare use. Just too much astronaut feel & having all of that heaped around the ankles while dropping a deuce in the forest sounds like an invitation to disaster.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

A solid yeah, Nah for me. Waist zips are as onesie as I wanna get & even those see rare use. Just too much astronaut feel & having all of that heaped around the ankles while dropping a deuce in the forest sounds like an invitation to disaster.

Thanks for the comment. It isn’t for every ride. If you can afford the $1400 price tag then you probably have other clothing options in the closet. If I knew I was riding into over 85degrees I wouldn’t wear it. If I am popping out to a backyard party for the afternoon I would definitely wear it. Can put in over street clothes. Etc etc. 

Wonder how this Klim suit compares with Aerostich's one piece Roadcrafter?

My current Roadcrafter is 19 years old with no life limit in sight, and has been repaired once by Aerostich for $70 after a pavement low side slide damaged the left hip area. It's quick on/off, and was perfect for my daily work commute over my office clothes. I just looked up how much they're currently going for, and was blown away to see one piece Roadcrafters are now $1,567. I think I paid about half that for it new in 2003!

57 minutes ago, jdub53 said:

Wonder how this Klim suit compares with Aerostich's one piece Roadcrafter?

My current Roadcrafter is 19 years old with no life limit in sight, and has been repaired once by Aerostich for $70 after a pavement low side slide damaged the left hip area. It's quick on/off, and was perfect for my daily work commute over my office clothes. I just looked up how much they're currently going for, and was blown away to see one piece Roadcrafters are now $1,567. I think I paid about half that for it new in 2003!

I have never tried on a road crafter so I can’t help with comparison. How much does it weigh? What is the padding ? What is the material she’ll made out of?

1 hour ago, NeilW said:

I have never tried on a road crafter so I can’t help with comparison. How much does it weigh? What is the padding ? What is the material she’ll made out of?

I just weighed my Roadcrafter, it's 8.2 pounds. All of its specs are on the Aerostich webpage attached below, which states the material is "500 Denier Cordura® GORE-TEX® outer fabric, ballistic nylon and a high pic Supernyl lining fabric."  It comes with TF3 or TF6 armor (details about these on the webpage) at the shoulders, elbows and knees, and I have one of their TF3 armor back pads in mine as well. Pockets and Scotchbrite galore.

Because these Roadcrafters have been around for 30 years with some minor evolutionary changes during that time, I always figured any other one-piece suit that shows up on the market has the Roadcrafter in their crosshairs.

Like you'd mentioned in your review of the Klim suit, this one also starts getting hot when wearing in high 80s temps.   

2014-08-09_16.17.16-2.jpg

Thirty years on this fully lined Roadcrafter has been worn in every type of weather to nearly every place you can get to on a motorcycle. It is the original suit for everyday, all-distance commuting and touring. Its luxurious full...

29 minutes ago, jdub53 said:

I just weighed my Roadcrafter, it's 8.2 pounds. All of its specs are on the Aerostich webpage attached below, which states the material is "500 Denier Cordura® GORE-TEX® outer fabric, ballistic nylon and a high pic Supernyl lining fabric."  It comes with TF3 or TF6 armor (details about these on the webpage) at the shoulders, elbows and knees, and I have one of their TF3 armor back pads in mine as well. Pockets and Scotchbrite galore.

Because these Roadcrafters have been around for 30 years with some minor evolutionary changes during that time, I always figured any other one-piece suit that shows up on the market has the Roadcrafter in their crosshairs.

Like you'd mentioned in your review of the Klim suit, this one also starts getting hot when wearing in high 80s temps.   

2014-08-09_16.17.16-2.jpg

Thirty years on this fully lined Roadcrafter has been worn in every type of weather to nearly every place you can get to on a motorcycle. It is the original suit for everyday, all-distance commuting and touring. Its luxurious full...

I see the difference immediately. You are way better looking than I am..and, the aerostitch is more taylored. Like a European cut. Also the new armor is “better” more protective. But you can buy new armor. The klim is 500d with 700d in the scrape areas. All gore-Tex. Sounds so similar. 

LOL, that wasn't me in the Aerostich link. Here's the only pic I have of me in my Roadcrafter, circa 2004 or so, as I'm departing my home in PA for a business/camping/vacation trip to TX. The suit is just a bit faded now, and I'm just more bald and grey.

IMG_0021.JPG.63f6560b4fc4008b24905a4521daf6b4.JPG

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jdub53 said:

LOL, that wasn't me in the Aerostich link. Here's the only pic I have of me in my Roadcrafter, circa 2004 or so, as I'm departing my home in PA for a business/camping/vacation trip to TX. The suit is just a bit faded now, and I'm just more bald and grey.

IMG_0021.JPG.63f6560b4fc4008b24905a4521daf6b4.JPG

The Klim has 12 zipper vents. How many does yours have?

3 hours ago, NeilW said:

The Klim has 12 zipper vents. How many does yours have?

Depending how you count, it could be a maximum of 10 (sleeve cuffs (2), arm pits (2), neck (1), legs (2), waist/hips (2), back (1)). All but the back vent can be zipped closed quickly on the fly if/when rain hits, but the back has a large Scotchlite flap covering it so never any rain intrusion worries from there.

My wife and I each also own Aerostich Darien jackets with the same type vents as well as a couple other jackets in the closet, and other than my mesh jacket my Darien is the best venting jacket I own. We bought our barely used Dariens for $200 each, and I have no doubt they'll last until we're no longer able to/are interested in riding anymore.    

Edited by jdub53