Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Aerostitch Roadcrafter 2 pc review

AZJW

• Moderators

Seeing the Klim 1 piece suit review by @NeilW got me looking for an Aerostitch Roadcrafter review here, but came up empty, except for the Baby onsie video. ;).

Since I've had my 2 piece since 2005 and have put around 100K on it, I figured it has enough use to give an objective review.   I bought it new in October 2005 to coincide with the arrival of my new FJR. The Roadcrafter and FJR were a great combination for putting down a lot of miles in a multi-day ride. I got the 2 piece as I wanted the option of using the jacket alone in warmer weather,  which I've actually only done twice since new.  Donning the 2 piece is similar to the 1 piece, slip right foot through rt leg opening, right sleeve, left sleeve, fasten waist snap, close all the zips and you're ready to ride. It takes me about 30-35 seconds and about half that to get out of it, depending on the urgency of the situation. 😉

It has pockets galore (9) and with the optional backpad, mine weighs an even 9 lbs. It really doesn't feel that heavy as the weight is distributed all over and is easy to move around in, once broken in.  It has full pit zips and an across the shoulder vent in the back that works well up to around 85-90°F. Above those temps, many will be looking for vented gear or to start putting ice in the pockets and lowering the front zip for more flow-thru cooling.  Reflective strips are on the front pocket, across the back vent and on each leg at the cuff adjustment. 

One great feature is the collar, which has a thin pile fleece like lining, velcro adjustable and a capture to hold it open when more airflow is needed. It is high cut in the back to fit under your helmet to help keep your neck dry but, can be folded down in warm weather.   I judge most jackets by this stellar collar and my new Klim Carlsbad fell woefully short of the Aerostitch comfort standard.

Protection wise, the huge YKK zipper that joins the jacket and pants is beefy and although I've never had to crash test it,  there are many documented saves with both the 1 and 2 piece designs.  The main body is 500 denier Cordura Goretex and shoulders, elbows and knees are 1050 denier ballistic nylon.  

As far as for ADV riding, in the winter time my Roadcrafter is my go to gear, but if temps are above about 70- 75°F and I'm going to be poking along in 1st or 2nd gear, I wear my Klim Carlsbad or vented gear.   I've only slept in the Aerostitch motel (sleeping in the suit on a picnic table) once during an Ironbutt ride and don't recommend it for more than a few hours,  but it kept me warm and dry.

There are a bunch of sizes to choose from with the 42L fitting my 6'1", 170 lb frame the best.  Initially I had to send the pants back to have the knee pad pockets lowered to fit my 36" inseam, free of charge.  It's been a trouble free riding suit that has kept me dry through some frog strangler thunderstorms and I've survived some triple digit temps in it.   It was spendy at around $900 in 2005, but 17 years of service and still looks and works great, so it's been a good investment.   

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

6 minutes ago, AZJW said:

Seeing the Klim 1 piece suit review by @NeilW got me looking for an Aerostitch Roadcrafter review here, but came up empty, except for the Baby onsie video. ;).

Since I've had my 2 piece since 2005 and have put around 100K on it, I figured it has enough use to give an objective review.   I bought it new in October 2005 to coincide with the arrival of my new FJR. The Roadcrafter and FJR were a great combination for putting down a lot of miles in a multi-day ride. I got the 2 piece as I wanted the option of using the jacket alone in warmer weather,  which I've actually only done twice since new.  Donning the 2 piece is similar to the 1 piece, slip right foot through rt leg opening, right sleeve, left sleeve, fasten waist snap, close all the zips and you're ready to ride. It takes me about 30-35 seconds and about half that to get out of it, depending on the urgency of the situation. 😉

It has pockets galore (9) and with the optional backpad, mine weighs an even 9 lbs. It really doesn't feel that heavy as the weight is distributed all over and is easy to move around in, once broken in.  It has full pit zips and an across the shoulder vent in the back that works well up to around 85-90°F. Above those temps, many will be looking for vented gear or to start putting ice in the pockets and lowering the front zip for more flow-thru cooling.  Reflective strips are on the front pocket, across the back vent and on each leg at the cuff adjustment. 

One great feature is the collar, which has a thin pile fleece like lining, velcro adjustable and a capture to hold it open when more airflow is needed. It is high cut in the back to fit under your helmet to help keep your neck dry but, can be folded down in warm weather.   I judge most jackets by this stellar collar and my new Klim Carlsbad fell woefully short of the Aerostitch comfort standard.

Protection wise, the huge YKK zipper that joins the jacket and pants is beefy and although I've never had to crash test it,  there are many documented saves with both the 1 and 2 piece designs.  The main body is 500 denier Cordura Goretex and shoulders, elbows and knees are 1050 denier ballistic nylon.  

As far as for ADV riding, in the winter time my Roadcrafter is my go to gear, but if temps are above about 70- 75°F and I'm going to be poking along in 1st or 2nd gear, I wear my Klim Carlsbad or vented gear.   I've only slept in the Aerostitch motel (sleeping in the suit on a picnic table) once during an Ironbutt ride and don't recommend it for more than a few hours,  but it kept me warm and dry.

There are a bunch of sizes to choose from with the 42L fitting my 6'1", 170 lb frame the best.  Initially I had to send the pants back to have the knee pad pockets lowered to fit my 36" inseam, free of charge.  It's been a trouble free riding suit that has kept me dry through some frog strangler thunderstorms and I've survived some triple digit temps in it.   It was spendy at around $900 in 2005, but 17 years of service and still looks and works great, so it's been a good investment.   

Great review. Lots of helpful info. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 2

@AZJW You forgot the part about feeling like the Tin Man in the wizard of Oz, in need of an oil can, for the first few months... (I know, I have one). Some guys tumble them in the dryer with a pair of old tennis shoes to help break them in.

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

4 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

@AZJW You forgot the part about feeling like the Tin Man in the wizard of Oz, in need of an oil can, for the first few months... (I know, I have one). Some guys tumble them in the dryer with a pair of old tennis shoes to help break them in.

Honestly I don’t feel that way. Once it is on I don’t notice it at all. Maybe that’s just me but doesn’t feel any different than a two piece to me. 

Edited by NeilW

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

I would've tried that,  but my dryer wasn't big enough for me to fit in. 🙃 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Good report @AZJW.  I like some of the features you mentioned.  And a very good investment that works out to be about 50 bucks a year.  Can't beat that.

• Like 1