Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Headlight removal for spare charging port.

cabby

• Premium Member

PLEASE READ ALL MY REPLIES (pictures not uploading etc)

This is a quick tutorial in how to remove the headlight that gives you access to the spare socket on rhs of dash. 

First of all you need to remove the three outer screws on side panel.IMG_20191121_153618.thumb.jpg.08b3863dbbd3002fa6b851ffa0c9e97c.jpg 

Then there is three quarter turn popper screws on the inside of that panel.

IMG_20191121_153750.thumb.jpg.9b4ccd1ca1973440bbdb9de6e1417ff7.jpg

Once they have been removed you can then take side panel off but gently slide it back towards the rear of the bike as it has catches.

Once that is done it then requires unhooking the indicator, and then it can be placed aside, repeat in both sides.

IMG_20191121_153612.jpg

Edited by cabby
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Pictures are out of sync for some reason.

Next you need to remove the screen and side screens. Seems I can't upload pics for this as ive were over my allowance. Anyway, remove them on both sides.

Next up are two silver bolts on each side that need removing.

IMG_20191121_155316.thumb.jpg.ef622f53c41317680f3f19b5ddb4b562.jpg

After that you remove one of the bolts that is holding the crossbar on, you can remove both but it can be done by just doing the one.

• Premium Member

Next up there are two black bolts in the back of the clocks, remove both. After that you need to just gently lift the clocks out of their holding area, just prise them upwards and they will release from where they were bolted in. 

Once you have done that the last part is the slightly tricky part.

You should now see four silver bolts behind the headlight, two at the top and two tucked down the bottom. Top ones are easy to get out, bottom ones not so. (Please note: The first pic below is with the clocks still attached, these are the top two bolts, but once you have removed the black bolts from behind the clocks and lifted the clocks away, these top two silver bolts are easily accessible

Also note, it's just the silver bolts that come out, the washer remains in place. 

IMG_20191121_231343__01.jpg

Bottom two silver bolts. 

IMG_20191121_231406__01.jpg

Once you have done that you then need to unplug the headlight, it's the large black plug on the right hand side, as shown below.

IMG_20191121_232036.jpg

You are now in a position to remove the headlight. 

The stays for the crossbar can be gently parted and the headlight can now be removed. 

Would be much easier explaining this with pictures but I'm over my allowance with the others but I think I have explained it clearly, any questions by all means ask.

• Premium Member

I should add, once you have done all this you will find the current 12v socket is plugged in to the wiring on the LHS, there is a spare on the RHS. You can purchase a spare plug to fit the spore socket on evilbay, which is what I did and wired it up. 

Link below to plug. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-MT07-2-Way-Connector-Socket-With-Pins-Accessory-Aux-DC/202791281333?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the write up.

Too bad you hit the limit for the pictures...but maybe perhaps a video would be suffice to get around that?

Just saying 😛

• Premium Member

I did consider a video and may be I do one but I'm not so sure anyone would want to sit round a 30/40 minute video as I went about removing it all, particularly the absolute PITA getting the bottom bolts of the headlight in/out. 

or you could a slide show style video that shows each picture of what you are doing and you can either talk behind the video and/or write text over it.

there are ways to get around it :P.

Well, while I am still waiting for mine to arrive, these kind of things are highly appreciated! 😄

• Premium Member

Yes I appreciate that however, once you do get yours, if you follow my posts above, it will all become very clear to you. As it stands for yourself, it will make no sense whatsoever. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cabby said:

PLEASE READ ALL MY REPLIES (pictures not uploading etc)

This is a quick tutorial in how to remove the headlight that gives you access to the spare socket on rhs of dash. 

First of all you need to remove the three outer screws on side panel.IMG_20191121_153618.thumb.jpg.08b3863dbbd3002fa6b851ffa0c9e97c.jpg 

Then there is three quarter turn popper screws on the inside of that panel.

IMG_20191121_153750.thumb.jpg.9b4ccd1ca1973440bbdb9de6e1417ff7.jpg

Once they have been removed you can then take side panel off but gently slide it back towards the rear of the bike as it has catches.

Once that is done it then requires unhooking the indicator, and then it can be placed aside, repeat in both sides.

IMG_20191121_153612.jpg

Im making you a premium member, for doing tech tips. This will allow you to post larger pics, as regular members are limited to 3 mb's per pic and 10MB total pics per post. Pic hosting becomes incredibly expensive for forums, so we limit pics to keep things affordable. 

Smartphone pics are often 8 mb or larger each, and if I let everyone upload large pics like that our hosting bill could creep into the hundreds ea month. This forum is paid for by my wife and I. 

Hint, you can email pics to yourself on your phone and the phone will auto resize them for you to much smaller sizes. 

But, as a premium member, You can now load these larger pics and as many as you want, as a thank you for taking the time to do tech tips!!  You also have a bunch of other perks too! 

As for order of pics, when you click "choose files" you choose your pics. then you click the plus sign when you want to add a pic, after clicking on the page where you want that pic to appear. If you are trying to do this on a phone, it is harder to place them where you want but with a little practice, it's easy. 

• Like 5

• Premium Member

It was one of the main reasons we started to use tapatalk on my forum in the past as it was them that could host the photos rather than use up all our data, but we have already previous discussed tapatalk in other topics. 

Using the phone is fine for taking the photos, it is however a pain when actually choosing which file when it pops up as the pictures become tiny and can barely make out which one I've selected. 

I put all the things back together last night and when I seen your request this morning when I logged on about detailing it, I felt rather guilty about it all, so this topic was more done in retrospect. 

I have spot lights to fit so will do another tutorial once I get all the bits for that thru. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cabby said:

It was one of the main reasons we started to use tapatalk on my forum in the past as it was them that could host the photos rather than use up all our data, but we have already previous discussed tapatalk in other topics. 

Using the phone is fine for taking the photos, it is however a pain when actually choosing which file when it pops up as the pictures become tiny and can barely make out which one I've selected. 

I put all the things back together last night and when I seen your request this morning when I logged on about detailing it, I felt rather guilty about it all, so this topic was more done in retrospect. 

I have spot lights to fit so will do another tutorial once I get all the bits for that thru. 

I used to have tapatalk, back before smartphones. But Tapatalk is not very security friendly and it cannot handle our software and all of the features like member map, articles and some new features that I am about to give you guys.   And I refuse to give another company all of my server and website data. Forum owners all over the world have and are dumping tapatalk.

Plus, allowing Tapatalk to store all of the photos is a bad bad idea. Remember a few years ago when photobucket stopped hosting all of the forum photos from all over the world? Millions of photos on forums all disappeared at once. There is nothing stopping Tapatalk to do the same thing, and trying to charge orum owners to get the photos back.  

Lastly, we are a very secure forum on very secure servers. Most forums get their members login and data hacked and never even report it.  This hasn't and never will happen on any forums that I own because I do not allow other companies to have your data or login info and I keep our website data in house. Tapatalk can get hacked just as easily as all the banks, stores and other websites get hacked. In fact, the larger the websites, the harder they are to protect.  

Thanks for doing tech tips! Enjoy your new forum features as a premium member!

And remember, when uploading pics, click where you want them to go before uploading them, one at a time.  I post pics from my phone often, and once you practice a bit, it's easy! 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I absolutely respect your thoughts on tapatalk, I only mentioned it in my previous posting to say that it allowed us (in  a previous forum) to use them for hosting pics rather than us, which suited us. 

I'm no tech savvy forum man, I had someone do that for me, also we had our forum hosted by Invision.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Good detail on panel removal. My tech post was high level approach. Videos can be hard to do. Congrats on the Premium membership. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Reviving an older thread. I fitted an auxiliary outlet without removing any panels. With the help of some 1.6mm TIG wire I was able to thread a pair of wires from the RHS direct to the battery. Took all of 15 minutes including corrugated tube and cable ties. The outlet is threaded and with a little bit of emery the threads can be sanded a little to make it a slight interference fit with the housing. I used a merit socket as my previous was a BMW.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

a small video, in French, on the headlight removal

( I made this for mini mobylette rollers, he wanted be a " star " ... ) 😉

Find "mobylette rollers" on social medias ! 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 11/21/2019 at 8:27 AM, cabby said:

I should add, once you have done all this you will find the current 12v socket is plugged in to the wiring on the LHS, there is a spare on the RHS. You can purchase a spare plug to fit the spore socket on evilbay, which is what I did and wired it up. 

Link below to plug. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-MT07-2-Way-Connector-Socket-With-Pins-Accessory-Aux-DC/202791281333?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

@cabby

Any chance you have another source for this connector or an updated link? The above link is dead. 😕

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen where Yamaha sells an oem 12v charging socket wired up with a connector plug on the end , the parts guy showed it to me when l picked up my bike & parts ,he didn't know if it would plug into an existing plug in the wiring harness just for this ? my question is , is their an existing plug in the right side harness to where this might be a plug & play part .

21 T700 - 08 ktm 300xcw - 06 ktm 400exc - 06 xt225 - 04 & 06 heritage Softail classics - 85 it200 - 75 dt 100 & 250 - 76 dt 250 - 79 CT 90 - 71 CT 70

Answered my question , installing my camel adv anti bobblehead brackets l got everything torn down & seen what's up , got my rhs power point installed & need to decide now if l wire to the battery or into the harness like the lhs

21 T700 - 08 ktm 300xcw - 06 ktm 400exc - 06 xt225 - 04 & 06 heritage Softail classics - 85 it200 - 75 dt 100 & 250 - 76 dt 250 - 79 CT 90 - 71 CT 70

• 3 months later...
On 7/29/2020 at 4:45 PM, cabby said:

Thanks for the link. Just ordered some of these connectors. 

I would also like to use the spare 3 pin connector. Does anyone have a link to purchase these? Google is not my friend... Cheers