Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Protective gear

stacyhoffman

Well I was humbled today. hit a patch of slick oil or tar and lost the handle on the bike on a big bend. I think thats called a low side i am not sure.

Moral of the post though is proper riding gear saved me from any major harm, unless pride counts of course. I am fairly seasoned in riding with 4 years alone since I bought the superhawk. Can happen to anyone i suppose.

Anyone that thinks they can skip the basic safety of helmet, jacket, jeans, and boots let this be another warning. I dont have very expensive equipment but it did the job 400 shoei helmet, jeans, protective gear 40 dollar SS textile jacket, and work boots.

My face and legs are glad I had a friends dad who forced to wear the gear when I first started! Be safe! And wear the right gear!
Edited by stacyhoffman
  • Like 4

Thanks for posting and reminding us to be alert - very happy that it turns out to be a minor scrape for you. THGATT right?

I never leave without, it saved me a couple of times.

I've been ATGATT since riding mini's as a kid. Truth is I feel more comfortable riding with gear than without it, and then there is the protection and piece of mind thing. Glad you came out Ok on the low-side get off.

• Like 1

Good gear, good outcome.  I'm glad you're not posting a hospital bed with you in it, picture.  How about a picture of the bike after such a get off?

• 3 months later...

I have a couple of friends who sometimes neglect protection, so this is an important post and I will never tire of reminding them that all protective equipment is very important!

• 4 months later...
On 4/27/2022 at 6:08 AM, stacyhoffman said:

Well I was humbled today. hit a patch of slick oil or tar and lost the handle on the bike on a big bend. I think thats called a low side i am not sure.

Moral of the post though is proper riding gear saved me from any major harm, unless pride counts of course. I am fairly seasoned in riding with 4 years alone since I bought the superhawk. Can happen to anyone i suppose.

Anyone that thinks they can skip the basic safety of helmet, jacket, jeans, and boots let this be another warning. I dont have very expensive equipment but it did the job 400 shoei helmet, jeans, protective gear 40 dollar SS textile jacket, and work boots.

My face and legs are glad I had a friends dad who forced to wear the gear when I first started! Be safe! And wear the right gear!

Yes man well said that wear the right gear , it is mendatory