Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Cycra handguards and ProGrip grips.

Splix

My attempts to install the Tusk handguards last week resulted in my factory grips being cut, and the installation failing. My choices were to bend the handguard to hopefully fit, or try something else. I wanted to go with Barkbusters, but nobody has the blue/black ones in stock.

I watched a few reviews and read about a Cycra option that doesn't have the interior mount point requirement. I know this makes them weaker than dual mount-point handguards, but they will hopefully still meet my needs for protection. These were not cheap, but they really match the bike theme so I went for it. I'll road test these tomorrow when I ride down to rockymountainatv to return the Tusk handguard kit.

My black adventure spec luggage rack setup is in transit, it's the last item to be mounted before I am ready to set out on a moto-camping trip. Suspension  and better tires are still needed, but they'll have to come a little bit later. I want to get at least 3k miles on the stock tires, and the roads I am after are mostly hardpack open desert this year.

Hand Guards:

cyc_21_voy_han_gua-2044780009.jpg

The NEW Voyager handguards introduce Cycra into the world of Adventure touring motorcycles. *Design influenced by the Cycra hard enduro experience. *Sliding spoiler for increased ventilation. *Single mount...

Grips:

pro_09_gri_719_rvgs_gel_ope_end_blk-blu.

*Reduced vibration GEL System. *Deep grooves wrap around the gripping area. *Special designed GELS. *120mm.

bike_side.PNG

grip_close.PNG

bike_front.PNG

Edited by Splix
grammer / spelling.
  • Like 1

• Splix changed the title to Cycra handguards and ProGrip grips.

These come with their own bar ends, but they are far lighter than the factor bar ends. If there is a vibration difference, I may remount them using the original bar ends. I tested this before opting for the Cycra bar ends as the best option to start with.

I'll report back after a bit of road testing once the grips are ready to ride tomorrow.

The installation instructions did not mention glue, nor did it come with glue. Reading online shows that users are installing with and without glue, I went without as the reviews seemed to commonly say glue wasn't needed for this model. They are on firm and should be very set when dry.

• Like 1

I rode a 50+ mile road based loop over the weekend. I returned the Tusk handguards to RMATV in Payson, UT and then circled around Utah lake to complete the ride.

The new grips are much better than stock for comfort.

The Cycra handguards are the best I have ever used for wind protection. I worry about what happens if I tip over with significant force, but that is a problem for future me!

I'll go barkbusters if these don't hold up. I'm hoping they hold up well as I really like them, other than the price.

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2022 at 7:21 AM, Splix said:

I rode a 50+ mile road based loop over the weekend. I returned the Tusk handguards to RMATV in Payson, UT and then circled around Utah lake to complete the ride.

The new grips are much better than stock for comfort.

The Cycra handguards are the best I have ever used for wind protection. I worry about what happens if I tip over with significant force, but that is a problem for future me!

I'll go barkbusters if these don't hold up. I'm hoping they hold up well as I really like them, other than the price.

Hey @Splix are those grips as long as the stock grips? Is the end open? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 9:43 PM, roygilbo said:

Hey @Splix are those grips as long as the stock grips? Is the end open? 

Sorry for the slow reply.

They may be slightly shorter, but it's a great fit and look on the bike.

The end is open, no cutting required. It took quite a bit of effort to get them on. I didn't use adhesive on mine, or ties and they are rock solid and don't move. Be careful on the throttle side, it's a tight fit and requires a ton of effort to slowly twist them in place, even with mild soapy water.

• 2 months later...

@Splix How do you find the Cycra hand guards after few months of evaluation?

Any feedback and comments are appreciated.

How about the lighter bar ends? Does this bother?

11 hours ago, disco2000 said:

@Splix How do you find the Cycra hand guards after few months of evaluation?

Any feedback and comments are appreciated.

How about the lighter bar ends? Does this bother?

The Good:

1. Install wasn't difficult
  2. Vents open and close for a little more temp control while riding
  3. Quality build, it doesn't move at all.
    1. I tipped over in some single-track west desert riding, wasn't a really hard fall but not soft either, survived without a scratch. No bend, no movement, nothing.
    2. If I had hit a rock or harder surface, I'm not sure that would be the case. Luckily it was soft sandy soil where I went down.
  4. I think they look better than the BB's.

The Bad:

1. Performance wise, I have no cons at all. Bike rides the same, or maybe a little better, than stock guards and weights.
  2. I don't love the single mount point design, I worry about them not surviving falls as well as two-point mounted options.
  3. Price wasn't fun, they're quality built though.

I quite like these hand guards. On hot days opening the vents allows enough airflow through to make a slight improvement in cooling. I quite like the look of my bike with these installed, but form is over function in these purchases. I believe they would protect my bike controls well enough in a fall, even a fairly big one. I am not sure the guard would survive it, but the controls should.

• Like 2