Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Sargent seat

Dens

Hi this is my first post so before I start I just want to say that I never use the bike off road. I recently purchased a Sargent seat from British importer Calamander who were first class with communication etc. Took about 5weeks to arrive. 

I found the original seat not uncomfortable but after a long day in the saddle I could feel a bit of discomfort. I thought long and hard about spending £349 on a replacement but took the plunge. When the seat arrived it seemed to me to be hard and thinly padded so wasn’t expecting a great improvement. The seat fitted without any complications and seemed well made. 

First ride out for 130 miles my left leg went numb but standing for a few moments brought it back to normal. Alarm bells started ringing,had I wasted my money but subsequent rides have worn/run in the seat so it’s now all day comfortable with absolutely no discomfort at all. 

Anyone thinking of buying one I would hole heartedly recommend it without hesitation. The only down side is it does look a bit out of place but for comfort it’s a win. 

Hope some people find this useful 

Safe riding 👍

• Like 4

I bought one, 2 weeks ago in the UK and sent it back

It fitted poorly and creased up in the middle, where you sit

Plus there was something under the vinyl, going on with the foam (with an uneven bit)

Pity, as both my other bikes have Sargent seats and I love them

May try another on the T700, if I found someone with one to fit on my actual bike

Dens - where are you based in UK, which county?

Edited by JB700

When I first used it there was something going on with the foam but having used it for about  1000 miles it has settled in and I’m well pleased. The uneven bit that you referred to maybe the part of the foam that has a piece removed to accommodate your coccyx or tail bone.  I’m based in Northern Ireland and you are more than welcome to try. 

3 hours ago, Dens said:

When I first used it there was something going on with the foam but having used it for about  1000 miles it has settled in and I’m well pleased. The uneven bit that you referred to maybe the part of the foam that has a piece removed to accommodate your coccyx or tail bone.  I’m based in Northern Ireland and you are more than welcome to try. 

Aha, that would explain it

I wish Sargent UK had explained it, was for the coccyx..............I thought it was a fault

Unfortunately I am in England, so not local to NI

Can you post some pics of your seat, please

1 hour ago, Dens said:

Photo as requested. As I said previously it does look strange but it’s function over form. 

87FA0219-7026-49EE-B665-E9CAF295B3D7.jpeg

I see yours has a bit of a crease there, mine was worse with 2-3 creases on the same place

Ive had one on my t7 for about 1k miles now. Its is very firm but comfortable, I did a 325 mile, 6 hour ride last week and was fine. Hands down better than the stock seat. Even with the rally seat I was only able to make it 150-200 miles before getting uncomfortable.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, S.Ga.Rider said:

Ive had one on my t7 for about 1k miles now. Its is very firm but comfortable, I did a 325 mile, 6 hour ride last week and was fine. Hands down better than the stock seat. Even with the rally seat I was only able to make it 150-200 miles before getting uncomfortable.

Can I see how your seat fits on your bike?

On 5/7/2022 at 8:21 AM, JB700 said:

Can I see how your seat fits on your bike?

Thats the only pic I have currently. It fits the bike perfect.

Screenshot_20220508-200211_Gallery.jpg

Edited by S.Ga.Rider
  • Like 3

• 11 months later...

Yes, about the same height as IMG_6065.jpeg.98d6f086b9a7ff0171ff0d5850e88e87.jpegIMG_6069.jpeg.98e12d9740afa86b9609b0f74a680618.jpegstock.

I came looking for another thread where we were talking about this seat. I got mine a few days ago and got to ride it 50 miles today on mixed terrain, highway, twisty roads, packed dirt and gravel, all but soft deep sandy or muddy surfaces (which I do not like on this bike!). In any case since I have only had dirt bikes in the past I was immediately comfortable with the shape of the stock seat and later the Yamaha Rally seat which is taller. But long riding and road miles I became uncomfortable. Over 200 miles and I'm not happy anymore. I shaped both those seats rounder than the stock squared off profile and found it a worthwhile improvement but it did not help a whole lot for big miles, still a dirt bike seat! So in desperation and wanting to be able to ride long distances I ordered the Sargent seat. And for good measure a Sheepskin Wool seat cover too. The Sargent seat fit well, slightly tighter to fit the back seat back into position though. I think it looks great on the bike. The covering has some airspace below it and the foam, especially for the coccyx cutout. I got the basic cheapest version because I did not want grippy material or piping that might chafe. I paid extra for "topstitch, no welt". For off road or aggressive riding I will use one of the stock seats, this is for distance. I don't see a crease in mine. It feels way different than the stock seat! It supports you in a different way. But a way that makes sense, like you are sitting in a contoured seat and not straddling a beam. The pressure is in different places. Tomorrow I start a 3 day camping trip, about 325 miles each way plus Saturdays recreation ride. How I will feel or wether or not I will use the Sheepskin is to be determined.  I'll post again after the ride.

I ordered the seat over the phone, they were very helpful with decision making about choices and nice to deal with, plus I got a nice discount. I got the seat about two weeks later which I thought was pretty fast.

Edited by Husafreak
Pics

Saw that Sargent was have a sale on seats via the web page. Called and talked to Dane he answered a few questions I had and decided to order a seat . I was given a 20% discount a told it would be 2 week delivery. Seat arrived within the 2 weeks and I have ridden close to 500 miles on it past weekend and am happy with the comfort level over the oem seat. 

• Like 3

I went out with the Norcal BMW Club and rode 804 miles on that seat last weekend in 3 days, 343 each way plus some sightseeing Saturday. I also had this for a lot of the long rides:

Anyway, I am thrilled with the seat. Not only is it comfortable for me but I was getting some foot cramps before and did not with this seat, weird but true. My upper back,  shoulders, and neck did not get sore. Zero saddle soreness or chafing. I didn't wear my Moto-Skivees either. For me this is a game changer because I was seriously doubting I could ever ride over 200 miles of asphalt comfortably, limiting trips with my friends who ride road bikes, going to far places on my bike, etc. I think the way it supports my body is just better. It is different. Like with the stock seat I can put both feet flat on the ground, but I cannot with this seat even though it is not taller. so I think it holds up my thighs a bit. It is not a soft seat either, which turns out to be a good thing. I did some standing up riding on dirt and gravel roads, some soft dirt too where the bike is moving around a lot, the shape didn't interfere. Less than 100 miles was highway, the rest was all back roads, some twisties, so a lot of time on the bike.

Edited by Husafreak