Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Oxford heated grips - glue/ position

Lewie

My Oxford adventure grips have arrived and I’m looking at fitment- I’ve read all of the guides here but just would like some tips

1st how did people orientate them? Wires facing the floor(straight down)- I’m strictly road use only so no worries about branches

2nd does the included glue work.? If not what’s best ? I’m in the UK

thanks all

• Like 2

• Moderators

@Lewie Searching for grip glue brought this thread up.  Some info on pages 2 & 3 that should help you. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Cheers

ive watched a couple of YouTube vids too 

looks like the original gorilla glue has been recommended- I have some in the shed too 

19 hours ago, Lewie said:

My Oxford adventure grips have arrived and I’m looking at fitment- I’ve read all of the guides here but just would like some tips

1st how did people orientate them? Wires facing the floor(straight down)- I’m strictly road use only so no worries about branches

2nd does the included glue work.? If not what’s best ? I’m in the UK

thanks all

I mounted mine similar to the pics above with the wire coming out towards the rider.  Mine are rotated just slightly more with wire almost horizontal.

You want to make sure the levers will not hit the protrusion on the grip when puling them in.  

I always dry fit mine first to where I want them.  Then with a marker lay out a few guide lines to ensure I install it to exactly where I want them.

With the throttle side  I also make sure I mark how far onto the throttle tube I want it.  But  I always remove the throttle tube and do the install on the workbench.  Installing while on the bike can get glue into the crack between the tube and the bar or push excess up into the throttle housing.

Then you will need to remove it anyway to clean out the glue.  Remove it for the install and you never have an issue, but make some marks to insure you get it exactly where you want it.

I have used the supplied glue before with no issues, but the last time I tried the original Gorilla glue.  Not sure if this is available in the UK, but it worked perfect and will use again.  I always apply glue to the inside of the grips and to the bar and throttle tube.  I make sure to use lots and cover your tank  with a towel because extra glue will drip down and get on the tank.  Also give it lots of cure time. I always let it cure for at least 12-24hours.  Longer the better.

I use the supplied plate and drill the hole slightly larger to mount the controller under my left mirror.  

761DBD03-25AC-4134-A230-74310B8CD6F7.jpeg

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 2

Thanks

i have this Gorilla glue - I’ve not used before but read reports it expands- worried it might affect the grip

looking on the bike I think you both right cables pointing towards the rider and align the ‘Oxford’ logo on the front horizontal  

868BE916-6E0C-424E-8755-6DFCFF4229D0.jpeg

The core of the Oxford grips is very stiff and will not be affected by the expansion of the glue.  But leave a sheet or towel on your tank overnight, because you may find some glue continues to drip from your grips over the following hours/night because of the expansion.  

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, williestreet said:

The core of the Oxford grips is very stiff and will not be affected by the expansion of the glue.  But leave a sheet or towel on your tank overnight, because you may find some glue continues to drip from your grips over the following hours/night because of the expansion.  

Now your worrying me

well I went with the Gorilla glue

Applied inside the grip with a ‘stick’ and Left off about the last inch as guessed it would migrate as I pushed it on (and it did)

dampened the bar too as it’s activated by water
Got the clutch grip off - was on quite well -

looks like there is a convenient mark on the grip to match with the clutch grip

89FA1F9A-887E-41DD-9008-7592D3DCFD9E.jpeg

7CDFD21F-F04D-474C-86AA-223CEEAAE40C.jpeg

FC986680-C3EE-4218-B6F1-4BAB835AFE72.jpeg

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 2

Well both on- disk of grease proof paper between the grip and switch gear just in case and 

trottle side I slipped some grease proof paper in the gap between the bar and the plastic twist grip

Edit
bracket painted (glass black) and fitted

i think I’ll order a sumitoto connector and do the job right

also thinking of getting some pvc tubing for the clutch side to encase the 2 wires so it looks stock

1183B422-594D-4884-8D4F-C48243B27F6C.jpeg

14D69D29-D8CB-434C-8031-BD8C412C7D25.jpeg

646BA4ED-96B0-43F0-871F-DA091CC8CDFB.jpeg

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1

Am I correct in saying if I wire these into the stock sumitoto connector I can shorten the Oxford loom and discard the fuse 

I'm just wondering is there some specific reason people don't use the CA-glue that at least I got with grips? I used that and didn't have any issues. Using PU or epoxy glue seems quite excessive to me. Yes it will hold, but it will hold for life. CA will break away when some force is applied which means I can actually remove these if I want to change bars or tweak the throttle thingy (don't know the correct term, plastic tube that throttle wire is attached).

Using PU-glue (like gorilla) or epoxy (JB-Weld) you'll probably have to grind the grips off, if you ever want to remove them. There is a reason why Oxford included heat resistant CA-glue and that is that you can actually also remove them without breaking anything or using a whole lot of force. 

• Like 1

Maybe I was being too cautious- I read reports of peoples becoming loose using the supplied glue 

@Lewie Sooner or later they will, because CA is not for life. That's why I have bottle of loctite in my garage. If it happens when I'm on road. I always have a roll off electrical tape with me. Jamming electrical tape between grip and bar will create enough friction so you can ride to the nearest place where you can buy glue for proper fix.  

In all honesty  I actually have CA glue in my first aid kit too in a form of tissue glue, but I know that many don't have first aid kit and even fewer have CA glue in it. But if you have, get a bottle of tissue glue and it will double as emergency glue for mechanical issues. Or just buy a bottle of loctite to your first aid kit. Not very pleasant to use but gets the job done just as well as tissue glue. Learn how to use it with wounds in advance though...

Ok just to round this up - I’m sure there are better guides out there but I’ve just finished installing mine

the taped up 3 pin sumitoto connector was easy to see as soon as the side panel was removed

i used the part that was installed on the bike and just used the 2 pins from the eBay plug I bought 

I just used some needle nosed pliers to crimp the connectors on

I cut the Oxford loom short (see pic) to avoid excess wires

whole thing really was pretty simple

ive added a pic of the orientation of the live and earth feeds 

034CF9EB-6D17-4E2D-ACAB-629EC33A94ED.jpeg

F5C91F27-0D36-403C-8938-A59BE69F3D06.jpeg

EDB95A92-D2C1-4258-B8E0-9B3012CA1784.jpeg

47F60796-8F67-4DD4-B771-0D15553C8A34.jpeg

9A9D0C3D-E43D-49D8-A7A9-8D695BD250ED.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all, may I ask you for explaining, there are 2 connectors, one 3pin sumitomo a then one 2 pin squere one, a bit yellowish..the same connectors are also on other side..3pin connector is meant for grips heating but what is the 2pin connector for?

On 5/7/2022 at 3:19 PM, williestreet said:

That happened to me. Or more accurately the grip glue ejaculated over my tank. Never rushed for the Kleenex so quickly in my life. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 5/9/2022 at 5:11 AM, witgen said:

I'm just wondering is there some specific reason people don't use the CA-glue that at least I got with grips? I used that and didn't have any issues. Using PU or epoxy glue seems quite excessive to me. Yes it will hold, but it will hold for life. CA will break away when some force is applied which means I can actually remove these if I want to change bars or tweak the throttle thingy (don't know the correct term, plastic tube that throttle wire is attached).

Using PU-glue (like gorilla) or epoxy (JB-Weld) you'll probably have to grind the grips off, if you ever want to remove them. There is a reason why Oxford included heat resistant CA-glue and that is that you can actually also remove them without breaking anything or using a whole lot of force. 

I used the grip glue that came with the kit.  On my first ride, having the temp set at the second highest, the clutch side grip became loose.  When it cooled off, it was solid.  Now I have to remove the grip and apply stronger adhesive.

On 5/7/2022 at 8:50 AM, Lewie said:

well I went with the Gorilla glue

Applied inside the grip with a ‘stick’ and Left off about the last inch as guessed it would migrate as I pushed it on (and it did)

dampened the bar too as it’s activated by water
Got the clutch grip off - was on quite well -

looks like there is a convenient mark on the grip to match with the clutch grip

89FA1F9A-887E-41DD-9008-7592D3DCFD9E.jpeg

7CDFD21F-F04D-474C-86AA-223CEEAAE40C.jpeg

FC986680-C3EE-4218-B6F1-4BAB835AFE72.jpeg

I would rotate that grip even more.  It looks like the clutch lever hits the wire part of the grip.  Maybe it doesn't, hard to tell.

7 minutes ago, r1superstar said:

I would rotate that grip even more.  It looks like the clutch lever hits the wire part of the grip.  Maybe it doesn't, hard to tell.

It’s fine - not sure what your referring to- the cables running out the ‘front ‘ of the grip - the other side to the lever

I think the cable outlet was really bulky on the oxford grips. Had to double check on the clutch side, so the lever movement wouldn’t get affected.

FB8358EA-48B0-4C5A-B556-C51FBF2B9FBA.jpeg

91092479-5F74-49FF-89AA-89BC86815C0A.jpeg

CD25AB9D-EEBC-4CFC-BD23-707954C369BA.jpeg

• Like 1

I see- I’ve not encountered any problems 

what I dislike is the micro screws on the back of the Oxford controller- not SS and they've rusted- I’d like to find some stainless replacements