Jump to content
Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Mounting BMW Panniers on Tenere 700?


Zebco Kid
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

 I recently sold my BMW R1250GSA, and I’m waiting for my Tenere 700 to arrive. 
 

I have BMW aluminum panniers that are very well made. Is there a way to properly mount those on the Tenere, or do I need to sell them and start over?

 

Thank you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess the question really is: Now much do you want to spend? Anything can be done, if you throw enough time and money at it.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depends on the rack you will use on the T7 an the design of your Boxes.

Easiest/cheapest way is to fab up Hockey puck mounts if your boxes will allow it.

 

Post a few pics of your BMW boxes so we can see what we are working with.  

I have made a few homemade mounts that work great and are very inexpensive to make.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think they’d be way out of place on a bike this slim.  You’d lose the feel and advantage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe the BMW aluminum panniers are built by Touratech, and they are indeed very stout (had them on my old '07 GS Adv). As stated already, I'm sure you could adapt them to some brand of T7 pannier rack, but of course you'd be giving up potential volume due to the large cutout in the right pannier for the BMW's muffler.

 

I don't have hard pannier racks on my T7 and I might be wrong, but the pics I've seen have the right pannier sitting further out to clear the T7's stock exhaust. Unless you can adapt the BMW pannier racks to your T7 and keep that right box in close/tight, it's going to be sticking way out due to its width - probably wider than the handlebars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Moved to Parts and Upgrades. Vendor threads are for discussion of that particular vendor's products.

 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Zebco Kid said:

Hello,

 

 I recently sold my BMW R1250GSA, and I’m waiting for my Tenere 700 to arrive. 
 

I have BMW aluminum panniers that are very well made. Is there a way to properly mount those on the Tenere, or do I need to sell them and start over?

 

Thank you. 

Post a picture of the boxes and whatever racks you have on the T7. I fitted an old set of Därrs boxes on mine without any issues

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dougie said:

I think they’d be way out of place on a bike this slim.  You’d lose the feel and advantage. 

Dougie,

I agree 100%... but I got the stock aluminum panniers anyways. I told myself I could pop the boxes off in 30 seconds if needed, but I never have yet. I keep my warm riding stuff in one side and a box of donuts in the other... Be prepared (as the Boy Scouts say)!

  • Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, jdub53 said:

I believe the BMW aluminum panniers are built by Touratech, and they are indeed very stout (had them on my old '07 GS Adv). As stated already, I'm sure you could adapt them to some brand of T7 pannier rack, but of course you'd be giving up potential volume due to the large cutout in the right pannier for the BMW's muffler.

 

I don't have hard pannier racks on my T7 and I might be wrong, but the pics I've seen have the right pannier sitting further out to clear the T7's stock exhaust. Unless you can adapt the BMW pannier racks to your T7 and keep that right box in close/tight, it's going to be sticking way out due to its width - probably wider than the handlebars.

Quoting my earlier post, but out of curiosity I just checked the Touratech website and it appears their T7 pannier racks would probably work perfectly for the BMW panniers. Best bet would be contacting Touratech directly to confirm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning.

 

Thank you for your time and thoughts. I've attached photos of the BMW panniers. The comment about the cutout is true...but the width is the same on top (if that makes sense).

The thing about the BMW panniers is that besides the locking mechanism, they're held in place with mating flanges on the panniers and the racks.

 

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

 

I have emailed Touratech twice, but I've only received promotional emails in return...like "nobody's home."

 

I should mention that I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. As a commuter on the bike, soft panniers really aren't a choice. The contents and the panniers will be stolen in light speed. I always imagine parking it outside a sporting venue...where the thieves know you're gone for a couple hours...and nobody working the lot is going to get involved. Definitely need to be locking. I understand the size issue...and perhaps I need to sell these and get a thinner profile locking pannier.

 

 

 

 

3772403B-797A-48D1-B282-F8165474002D.jpeg

5274446A-C2EE-44FB-9B08-C59B5E5689FC.jpeg

56D9D4EC-B7ED-4309-80EF-1C6F7181B5F8.jpeg

B5632C65-CB1F-4589-BD04-1752BBE44C16.jpeg

Edited by Zebco Kid
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

Dougie,

I agree 100%... but I got the stock aluminum panniers anyways. I told myself I could pop the boxes off in 30 seconds if needed, but I never have yet. I keep my warm riding stuff in one side and a box of donuts in the other... Be prepared (as the Boy Scouts say)!

I get the advantage. Especially in built up areas. Ease and security.  I saw my mate’s GS boxes the other day and they just looked huge. Maybe they were the larger size? Hard to tell with a load of old escorts (cars not magazines) and half bikes in his living loom. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stock Yamaha Panniers and mounts

 

 

 

 

IMG_0938.JPG

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You’re probably right with the touratech frames, and probably quite a few other main stream makes with the same sized hoops. Worst case (no pun intended) scenario, is slightly altering the brackets on the boxes. Unlikely to be needed though. 
If it doesn’t work out, I bet they fetch more money second hand than the Yamaha boxes do new. 👍

Edited by Dougie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Zebco Kid said:

they're held in place with mating flanges on the panniers and the racks

Zeb,

 

How much to buy the stock BMW rack system, and cannibalize them to fit the T7?

Ideally, you can get a used set off a crashed bike

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hibobb,

 

I have no idea...but I would imagine the connection points, etc. are pretty proprietary to the design of the bike. Somehow, I don't think BMW is trying to make anything universal. Rather, this is the domain of 3rd parties. That being said...great idea. I will look.

 

Dougie,

 

I think you're right about fetching a good amount for them. They're practically new. I sold the GSA with 12k miles back to BMW...as I was the lucky winner of a lemmon. Won't be going back to BMW again. The worst customer service imaginable...but this wrap is for another string.

 

Back to panniers!

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

Our Friends

Tenere across the USA

Tenere 700 Forum. We are just Tenere 700 owners and fans

Tenere700.net is not affiliated with Yamaha Motor Co and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of ea individual author and do not represent Yamaha Motor Co or Tenere700.net .

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.