Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Broke my T-7 yesterday

NeilW

Had a 25 mph run in with the left front wheel of a quad yesterday and down I went. Bike went left and down to low side immediately  and I superman'd over it to the high side. Thankfully wearing all Klim gear and stood up with just a bruised shin after collecting my "thoughts". Broke the upper crown triple clamp in half. Going to have a dealer check the forks and frame for damage.  will be really lucky if it is just a $100 part exchange that IS in stock. Had to be trailered off the mountain and the towed home on a flat bed. Sure glad I have another motorcycle to ride, the weather just turned to dry summer 🙂

Edited by NeilW
  • Sad 9

• Moderators

Bummer, but good to hear you're doing well.  How'd the other guy come out? Keep us posted on how bad the damage was.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Wow!  Run over by a quad eh.  Bummer.   I hope you're well and not to worse for wear.

That must have been a hard fall to break the upper clamp.  But it is only cast.  Maybe that saved your fork legs from bending.   

You're having way to much fun.

• Like 1

happy to hear of a "safe" landing, it happens quickly.

• Like 1

Glad you ok Neil.  Plenty of bike replacement parts.  Not many Neil replacements.  Keep us informed on the bike.  Glad your ok!!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, thepointchris said:

happy to hear of a "safe" landing, it happens quickly.

Wasn’t so safe a landing. It was pretty out of control. And my face plant was pretty hard. I made a stick figure for the DR I saw today of all my pain, bruise and sore points. Of course my worst bruise is on my shin. Right below the knee pads and right above the top of the Klim Adv Boots. Try not to crash, all I hit was my own bike and the ground. Look at all the spots that I hit ( x’s)

727C0768-A369-4632-96B3-085CE280874C.jpeg.4fcf998e1d64b98b66cbe0a1732f9446.jpeg

• Sad 3

Photos or it didn't happen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

7 hours ago, NeilW said:

Wasn’t so safe a landing. It was pretty out of control. And my face plant was pretty hard. I made a stick figure for the DR I saw today of all my pain, bruise and sore points. Of course my worst bruise is on my shin. Right below the knee pads and right above the top of the Klim Adv Boots. Try not to crash, all I hit was my own bike and the ground. Look at all the spots that I hit ( x’s)

Sorry to hear of this event, but glad to see you're still smiling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, jdub53 said:

@jdub53 THAT was funny!!!

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Moderators
On 5/24/2022 at 5:21 AM, jdub53 said:

Yes and he's open minded about the whole situation too!

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

8 hours ago, NeilW said:

that hurts just looking at it!

I think it's time for @NeilW to write up a review on his favorite first aid kit.  😅

How are you feeling today?  And how much riding time will you lose?

Get better quickly.

Edited by Landshark
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Landshark said:

I think it's time for @NeilW to write up a review on his favorite first aid kit.  😅

How are you feeling today?  And how much riding time will you lose?

Get better quickly.

Thanks. Bringing  the T7 to a shop today for evaluation. I have been neglecting my touring bike for the past 10 months. She is now my #1 so I won’t be losing any riding time, just Tenere 700 time. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, NeilW said:

Thanks. Bringing  the T7 to a shop today for evaluation. I have been neglecting my touring bike for the past 10 months. She is now my #1 so I won’t be losing any riding time, just Tenere 700 time. 

Sorry to hear about this Neil, but glad it wasn't worse. Hope you heal up quickly. When you have time, I know myself and others would be interested in the factors leading to the incident. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

Photos or it didn't happen.

I didn't want to traumatize anyone so here is the MOMENT of impact and a pix of the top clamp showing it broken. I have a front and rear dash cam. Other than the pix of the upper fork tube clamp there is literally no damage to the bike. The SW Motech crash bars took the brunt of the laydown and slide and they didn't budge or even look different from new.  Reliving the moments as I have watching the videos over and over and remembering the second I had before faceplanting, I am pretty sure the impact broke the top clamp which didn't allow me to recover from the hit. The broken clamp only allows the bike to turn left, and I had that moment to wonder why I couldn't turn right to recover...and then dust and mud.

impact moment.jpg

top clamp broken.jpg

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, SO_Rider said:

Sorry to hear about this Neil, but glad it wasn't worse. Hope you heal up quickly. When you have time, I know myself and others would be interested in the factors leading to the incident. 

Riding on a fairly busy dirt road out of a riding area I was following two quads. Lead quad slows and pulls to the side like he is going to let the on coming auto pass. The second quad slows and starts to pull to the right, so I very incorrectly assume he is also pulling to the right to let the auto go by. Instead, just as I get along side him he turns directly into me in an attempt to do a high speed u turn. His left front tire hits my right front fork and snaps my upper clamp. My bike is now stuck in a handlebar Left position and heading me to the a boulder and trees. I lock up the brakes and the bike lays down on its left side and i Superman off the top. Thank you Klim gear from head to toe. The image is moments before impact. Notice his buddy- which turns out to be his father, off to the side. 
I wouldn’t have made this pass if on a paved street as I have had cars change their mind and pull back into traffic. Oops. 

28D29381-065D-4AE2-9896-7C26B7060FC0.jpeg

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 2

Hope you recover soon and that the pain goes by quickly - also the pain of not having your T7 😉

As I always say: there's always that one guy who will do something unpredictable. Like a high speed U turn when someone is closely behind him. 

Klim has that wonderful crash replacement program. I just got my new Krios Pro from them through that program. Big thumbs up!

• Thanks 1

I wonder if that triple clamp is a sort of sacrificial part designed to take the stress and break rather than something like the frame bending instead?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, winddown said:

I wonder if that triple clamp is a sort of sacrificial part designed to take the stress and break rather than something like the frame bending instead?

We will all find out. The bike is at my favorite shop now

for evaluation. 

Cast parts like that clamp arent designed to absorb impact by failing ...they are much cheaper to produce and fail accordingly

that said you are def lucky buying that clamp than forks or a frame

The rubber cones in the bar risers are designed to absorb some energy ....mostly just low impact falls and hard deflections tho....not impact crashes 

easy peasy fix if thats all thats broke

58yrs old/brother/husband/father/paramedic/soldier🇨🇦 

I have actually been hoping to find a bettwr aftermarket triple clamp and or bar riser setup for my T7 

I detest the oem rubber cone setup...they constantly shift even in regular riding...drives me nuts ...makes the bar feedback vague too

I am hoping to see a quality aftermarket approach in a billet ally clamp with either an integral riser or a better easily adjustable height riser setup

Btw....heal well my friend 

i crashed hard a few yrs ago ...broke most of my left ribs...collapsed lung...tore my rotator cuff

at 59 Im not healing/recovering as fast as usual🙄   Rotator will never be the same 

but happy to be functional and still riding 😎👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terez said:

i crashed hard a few yrs ago ...broke most of my left ribs...collapsed lung...tore my rotator cuff

at 59 Im not healing/recovering as fast as usual🙄   Rotator will never be the same 

2 hours ago, Terez said:

Thanks for the well wishes. I am convinced that my Klim airbag saved my chest. When I came to a stop my first thought was why didn’t I at lease get the wind knocked out of me- then I realized my airbag had deployed. 

• Like 4

On 5/29/2022 at 12:11 PM, NeilW said:

Thanks for the well wishes. I am convinced that my Klim airbag saved my chest. When I came to a stop my first thought was why didn’t I at lease get the wind knocked out of me- then I realized my airbag had deployed. 

Glad your ok. I saw a guy just go slightly off the road, surprise ditch and he broke a collar bone. He SWORE he should have been wearing his airbag vest!  Every video he made after that he wore that vest.

Some say "I'll probably have a few get offs in the dirt and don't want to replace canisters"  I don't get that.

Anyway,  street or dirt I always wear my Helite Turtle air bag best. 

Canisters for airbag vests are cheaper than broken bones and hospital bills!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ADVUSA said:

Glad your ok. I saw a guy just go slightly off the road, surprise ditch and he broke a collar bone. He SWORE he should have been wearing his airbag vest!  Every video he made after that he wore that vest.

Some say "I'll probably have a few get offs in the dirt and don't want to replace canisters"  I don't get that.

Anyway,  street or dirt I always wear my Helite Turtle air bag best. 

Canisters for airbag vests are cheaper than broken bones and hospital bills!!!!

Absolutely!! Only takes one time.