Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Crashbars that don't use the engine.

katana

And there I learn about the length of a title limitation...  Oh well.

I am completely lost as to which crash bars to buy.  Which crash bars do not use the engine as part of the mounting system?  I don't mind the frame part of the top engine mount.  Any ideas?  Photos will help.  😉

ALTRider crash bars do NOT mount to the engine.  This includes the lower and upper bars.  

Storm industries also has crash bar bags for this set up too.   

Heedshop bunker bars don't mount to the engine as well.

• Like 1

DirtRacks don't mount to the engine either.

Yamaha Tenere 700 Crash Bar Fits model years  2020 and upDirtracks engine crash bars made from 1 inch tubing.Mounts to the frame, not the engine. Easy bolt-on installation.Comes with bolt...

13 minutes ago, Chris1974 said:

I have these crashbars. Fit really well and don't bolt to the engine.

I have the same and tested them on both sides in different conditions... not by choice but it just comes with offroading.

• Like 1

Tusk use the upper front frame/engine mounting point, which I think meets your criteria. They're upper protection, only.

Thanks guys.  Looks like I will have to import.  Limited options in South Africa.

• 2 weeks later...

Information below was gathered for personal research, and links/specs/prices may change. Feel free to augment this list, but if you have questions - please do your own research & verification, as I make no claims of knowledge or details beyond what is shared in this snapshot as of June 2022. Hopefully others will find this compilation useful because all new T7 owners likely seek out the same list of options for a good set of crashbars. 

• Heavy Duties (Romanian company) 
    • 93 EUR for enduro style (lower) or 124 EUR for adventure style (full, like HEED)
    • Manufacturer's response to s/h inquiry sent 05/24/22 indicates no option for purchase in N. America
  • Adventure Spec upper crash bars (aluminum) 2.8kg 6.17lbs $254
    • (no low protection & possibly too high for most common layover scenarios)
    • (only two mounting bolts, close to one another, per side)
  • HEED crash bars "Bunker"
    • 216 EUR (four-point subframe attachment points) steel, 10.5kg?
  • SW Motech Crash Bars (Basic or upper)
    • 190 EUR steel w/powder coating 5.7kg / 12.6lbs (heavy, not prettiest lines, but maybe best protection)
    • 1-in SS tubing, weight 16.6lbs for full set, 7.10lbs for lower
    • $288-304 lower/upper $590 full
    • not compatible with Euro5 spec models; new design in-process as of June 2022
    • $217 (mounts to frame, not engine) 1-inch tubing, 6.6lbs (simple, mid-position)
    • $359-720 (incl skid plate)
  • Tusk
  • Turkish / Czech no-name bars $219 free shipping eBay
  • OEM Yamaha (poor mounting design?)
  • Motea / Motoguard upper + lower 200EUR + 129EURs/h
  • Hepco & Becker (owners reported bolt stripped out of engine; avoid)
If members find this compilation useful, I'm happy to share other lists of additional T7 parts categories that I've compiled. Hopefully there are not objections to the inclusion of publicly available pricing, weight, or summaries of other owner's experiences/reviews. There is no intent to disparage any manufacturer or vendor; rather the aim is offer a helpful reference as a starting point for others to use and accelerate their own build plans rather than "re-inventing the wheel" of research and farkle-hunting through informed evaluations of comparable products on the market.  If this is in violation to any forum rules I'll gladly delete the post. 
Edited by T7Texan
add'l details for AltRider & Tusk weights
  • Like 5

On 5/30/2022 at 12:54 PM, BeefTrain said:

Heedshop bunker bars don't mount to the engine as well.

Seconded for the Heed Bunker bars. They bolt to the frame in three places on each side and then to a bracket mounted to the front cluster mount. I haven't dropped mine yet 🤞, but the bars are stout AF.

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

For the Hepco & Becker bars, the issue was with the upper bars and due to the bolt being too short, an easy to remedy problem.  Their lower bars connect to the frame.

On 5/30/2022 at 1:00 PM, Chris1974 said:

I have these crashbars. Fit really well and don't bolt to the engine.

These look nice. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I can get them shipped to the US?

1 hour ago, SO_Rider said:

These look nice. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I can get them shipped to the US?

That sucks. Did you try and contact them via email?

1 minute ago, Chris1974 said:

That sucks. Did you try and contact them via email?

I did, and the cost is north of 375 euros to ship to my location. 😬

• Confused 1

Just now, SO_Rider said:

I did, and the cost is north of 375 euros to ship to my location. 😬

Bummer... Guess it might be cheaper just to move to Europe then 😉 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Chris1974 said:

Bummer... Guess it might be cheaper just to move to Europe then 😉 

Before you move to Europe get a rally seat though as they’re double here 

i have the heed. crashed hard and the iron saved my ass.  aluminium would have bin to soft. went around 120 and saw my friend dive in to a dry ditch. painful but nothing but a few scratches and a busted console as he went flying off.

alu you cant bent easy back if at all. iron you can.

weight is less of a problem as its low on the bike.

and the heed bunker is 10kg in the box send over to me. [so remove the cardboard box and a lot of wrapping, 9.3kg ish]

yes i have a 2e in stock

• Moderators

@T7Texan Nice compilation of options. So, which crashbars did you go with?  😉

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2022 at 12:54 PM, T7Texan said:

Information below was gathered for personal research, and links/specs/prices may change. Feel free to augment this list, but if you have questions - please do your own research & verification, as I make no claims of knowledge or details beyond what is shared in this snapshot as of June 2022. Hopefully others will find this compilation useful because all new T7 owners likely seek out the same list of options for a good set of crashbars. 

• Heavy Duties (Romanian company) 
    • 93 EUR for enduro style (lower) or 124 EUR for adventure style (full, like HEED)
    • Manufacturer's response to s/h inquiry sent 05/24/22 indicates no option for purchase in N. America
  • Adventure Spec upper crash bars (aluminum) 2.8kg 6.17lbs $254
    • (no low protection & possibly too high for most common layover scenarios)
    • (only two mounting bolts, close to one another, per side)
  • HEED crash bars "Bunker"
    • 216 EUR (four-point subframe attachment points) steel, 10.5kg?
  • SW Motech Crash Bars (Basic or upper)
    • 190 EUR steel w/powder coating 5.7kg / 12.6lbs (heavy, not prettiest lines, but maybe best protection)
    • 1-in SS tubing, weight 16.6lbs for full set, 7.10lbs for lower
    • $288-304 lower/upper $590 full
    • not compatible with Euro5 spec models; new design in-process as of June 2022
    • $217 (mounts to frame, not engine) 1-inch tubing, 6.6lbs (simple, mid-position)
    • $359-720 (incl skid plate)
  • Tusk
  • Turkish / Czech no-name bars $219 free shipping eBay
  • OEM Yamaha (poor mounting design?)
  • Motea / Motoguard upper + lower 200EUR + 129EURs/h
  • Hepco & Becker (owners reported bolt stripped out of engine; avoid)
If members find this compilation useful, I'm happy to share other lists of additional T7 parts categories that I've compiled. Hopefully there are not objections to the inclusion of publicly available pricing, weight, or summaries of other owner's experiences/reviews. There is no intent to disparage any manufacturer or vendor; rather the aim is offer a helpful reference as a starting point for others to use and accelerate their own build plans rather than "re-inventing the wheel" of research and farkle-hunting through informed evaluations of comparable products on the market.  If this is in violation to any forum rules I'll gladly delete the post. 

Where are the other lists?

• 2 weeks later...

I took a pause from my research & parts hunting, but if you're still interested then drop me a PM and let me know what you're interested in.