Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

HP Corse high mount + Adv Spec racks

rd1myers

Has anyone tried this combination?

I installed the HP Corse high mount (short) exhaust recently which is great for tucking the exhaust up out of harms way when the bike tips over.  I just received my Adventure Spec side luggage racks that I thought would go well with my Mosko Reckless 80 set up.  But I've run into a clearance problem.  The Adv Spec racks use a mount adaptor that attaches to the passenger foot pegs for a third mounting point.  The problem is that there is very little clearance between the HP Corse pipe where it routes under the right side passenger foot peg mount.  The Adv Spec mount adaptor uses a spacer that makes it sit down into the space needed for the HP Corse pipe.  I would like to use this setup, but it won't work unless modified - at least on my bike.  I can get more clearance with the exhaust if I rotate it inwards, but that doesn't work with the alignment of the muffler.  I have never bent or otherwise altered a pipe, so I am reluctant to take a ball pin hammer to it.  I am wondering if anyone else has come across this and found a good solution.  

1st photo shows routing of pipe.

2nd photo- pencil points to front foot peg mount where spacer is supposed to go (and shows scale).

3rd photo shows the provided Adv Spec spacer.  It is recessed slightly when mounted, but the attachment point and bolt go beneath it.

IMG_0353.jpeg

IMG_0354.jpeg

IMG_0356.jpeg

I have. But i left the passenger footpegs off, cos i ride solo. I have 1.5 cm space between adapter and exhaustpipe. I remember i have to fit the AS adapter first, then mount the exhaustpipe, otherwise no room to bold on with tool.

IMG_20220606_094342959.jpg

IMG_20220606_094242435.jpg

• Thanks 1

@BikeBrother Thanks for the post and photos.  It's good to know that is a workable option.  I don't think it will work with my setup, using Mosko Reckless 80 luggage, since the straps run to the foot peg mounts in order to keep the luggage secure.  Maybe I can figure out a different mounting location though.  

Are you running a tail rack in addition to your AS side luggage racks?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rd1myers said:

@BikeBrother Thanks for the post and photos.  It's good to know that is a workable option.  I don't think it will work with my setup, using Mosko Reckless 80 luggage, since the straps run to the foot peg mounts in order to keep the luggage secure.  Maybe I can figure out a different mounting location though.  

I have the MIVV Dakar on the way (i hope) that has about the same route with the link pipe and also have the R80.
With the R40 i use as a daily and for short trips came a set of cleets and yesterday i ordered a second set to mount a bit lower for the R80 kit because i didn't like the options i had without.

22 minutes ago, rd1myers said:

Yes, i have the Altrider tail luggage rack. I liked the way its mounted under the tail. But i needed to make another bracket for the hpsorse. Not a big issue. For your straps,there are brackets available to put in the passenger taps, like from Kedo.

IMG_20211123_103303622.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I have the MIVV Dakar on the way (i hope) that has about the same route with the link pipe and also have the R80.
With the R40 i use as a daily and for short trips came a set of cleets and yesterday i ordered a second set to mount a bit lower for the R80 kit because i didn't like the options i had without.

@Ray Ride4life  Where did you get your cleets?  Do you mount them to the foot peg holes or did you find another option?

The Mivv looks nice, and it does appear to be routed about the same as the HPC.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, rd1myers said:

@Ray Ride4life  Where did you get your cleets?  Do you mount them to the foot peg holes or did you find another option?

The Mivv looks nice, and it does appear to be routed about the same as the HPC.

Thanks!

You can buy them of Mosko Moto where you also bought your bags because they only do direct sale.

Cleat_Kit_WebRes_Shadow_240x.jpg?v=15760

Our aluminum cleats are great tie-down options for all of our Reckless luggage systems. Straps can usually be attached to passenger foot-pegs or the top rear rack, but some bikes lack good tie-down points like this, so we designed these...

If your not in the EU you will be asked if you want to change to your location (it did with me when i went to the .com site at first).
For the R40 i mounted them on the frame where the rubber plugs are fitted with a big washer on the inside.
For the R80 i have to look when i get them in where the best place is. I want them on the top bolt from the footpeg bracket but i'll have to see if that doesn't interfere with my boots.
Here you can see the cleat for the R40 and i circled where i think the best place will be for the R80, the one behind the footpeg will be even better but i'm afraid it will be at risk by rubbing of the boots all the time or maybe not looking at the missing paint on the frame. Like i said, i need to have them first to find the best place.
cleats.jpg.ff6d2c419440406ff42021286ed43915.jpg

I might even make an adapter to get them in the best position but i wanted the cleats anyway for easy change between the 2 sets.

7 hours ago, BikeBrother said:

Yes, i have the Altrider tail luggage rack. I liked the way its mounted under the tail. But i needed to make another bracket for the hpsorse. Not a big issue. For your straps,there are brackets available to put in the passenger taps, like from Kedo.

Looks like a nice setup.  I have the Ouback Motortek tail rack, which I like for the incorporated grab handles, but attaches at the same points the Adv Spec racks do- next to the pillion seat.  Since the OM rack has built-in spacers where they attach, I will need to modify the Adv Spec spacers so the racks will fit correctly.  The Adv Spec comes with 60mm (front) and 40mm (rear) spacers.  The OM built-in spacers are 36 mm (F and R), so I will need to take a hacksaw to the provided Adv Spec spacers to make 24mm (F) and 4mm (R) additional space. 

The silver spacers in the photo are the ones provided by Adv Spec.

IMG_0357.jpeg

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

You can buy them of Mosko Moto where you also bought your bags because they only do direct sale.

Cleat_Kit_WebRes_Shadow_240x.jpg?v=15760

Our aluminum cleats are great tie-down options for all of our Reckless luggage systems. Straps can usually be attached to passenger foot-pegs or the top rear rack, but some bikes lack good tie-down points like this, so we designed these...

If your not in the EU you will be asked if you want to change to your location (it did with me when i went to the .com site at first).
For the R40 i mounted them on the frame where the rubber plugs are fitted with a big washer on the inside.
For the R80 i have to look when i get them in where the best place is. I want them on the top bolt from the footpeg bracket but i'll have to see if that doesn't interfere with my boots.
Here you can see the cleat for the R40 and i circled where i think the best place will be for the R80, the one behind the footpeg will be even better but i'm afraid it will be at risk by rubbing of the boots all the time or maybe not looking at the missing paint on the frame. Like i said, i need to have them first to find the best place.
cleats.jpg.ff6d2c419440406ff42021286ed43915.jpg

I might even make an adapter to get them in the best position but i wanted the cleats anyway for easy change between the 2 sets.

Nice!  Thanks for the info and photo.  It does look like that lower mount point would work better for the R80... although I do wonder if it would rub excessively or catch on boots.  Maybe a bolt with a tapered head would help a bit, but I guess there are still some edges to deal with.  Please post any solutions you come up with.

On 6/6/2022 at 1:55 AM, BikeBrother said:

I have. But i left the passenger footpegs off, cos i ride solo. I have 1.5 cm space between adapter and exhaustpipe. I remember i have to fit the AS adapter first, then mount the exhaustpipe, otherwise no room to bold on with tool.

@BikeBrother  Did you modify the rack or the bracket to make your Adv Spec racks fit?  Without the foot peg, the provided bracket sits farther forward and higher on the bike than intended.  I drew on your photo to try to show where I think the hole in the bracket would be if the spacer was used with the foot peg in place.  Wondering how you stretched the metal to reach the modified bracket location!

pic.jpg

On 6/6/2022 at 4:13 PM, rd1myers said:

Looks like a nice setup.  I have the Ouback Motortek tail rack, which I like for the incorporated grab handles, but attaches at the same points the Adv Spec racks do- next to the pillion seat.  Since the OM rack has built-in spacers where they attach, I will need to modify the Adv Spec spacers so the racks will fit correctly.  The Adv Spec comes with 60mm (front) and 40mm (rear) spacers.  The OM built-in spacers are 36 mm (F and R), so I will need to take a hacksaw to the provided Adv Spec spacers to make 24mm (F) and 4mm (R) additional space. 

The silver spacers in the photo are the ones provided by Adv Spec.

IMG_0357.jpeg

@rd1myers - I'm keen to know how goes the Outback Motortek tail rack / Adv Spec side rack combination as I have the Outback Motortek tail rack and would like to add the AS side racks. Want to keep my passenger foot pegs too. I was hoping the AS side racks would easily bolt on top of the OM tail rack. Please let us know.

8 hours ago, rd1myers said:

@BikeBrother  Did you modify the rack or the bracket to make your Adv Spec racks fit?  Without the foot peg, the provided bracket sits farther forward and higher on the bike than intended.  I drew on your photo to try to show where I think the hole in the bracket would be if the spacer was used with the foot peg in place.  Wondering how you stretched the metal to reach the modified bracket location!

pic.jpg

I meant i made a new bracket for the exhaust to fit with the altrider luggageplate. The provided bracket of hpcorse with 2 holes, did not match with the altrider plate under the seat. See picture for my bracket with 1 hole to hold the exhaust. 

To mount the AS side racks, it fitted with no problems, i made no changes there.

IMG_20211120_131456507.jpg

13 hours ago, Boondocker said:

@rd1myers - I'm keen to know how goes the Outback Motortek tail rack / Adv Spec side rack combination as I have the Outback Motortek tail rack and would like to add the AS side racks. Want to keep my passenger foot pegs too. I was hoping the AS side racks would easily bolt on top of the OM tail rack. Please let us know.

@Boondocker If you aren't using one of the high mount exhausts, I think it will be a relatively easy modification.  You will just need to modify the provided Adv Spec spacers (or get new ones) in order to achieve the intended space between the rack mount points and the frame.  I used calipers to measure my OM tail rack's built in spacers, then subtracted that number from the provided Adv Spec spacers.  Adv Spec provided 60mm (front) and 40mm (rear) spacers, and OM's built in spacers are 36mm (front and rear) on my tail rack.  So 60mm-36mm = 24mm spacer needed for the front, and 40mm-36mm  = 4mm  spacer needed for the rear.  I might just use a few extra washers for the 4mm needed on the rear, and was planning to cut and sand a couple of the Adv Spec spacers down to 24mm for the front.  I measured the Adv Spec spacer diameters at 18mm (.71 inch) OD, and 9mm (.35 inch) ID.  I couldn't find any spacers that matched those diameters online, which is why I plan to cut the provided ones down.  

I will let you know once I have done this and will post some photos.  But I want to figure out the foot peg / exhaust clearance (with high mount HP Corse) issue first.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BikeBrother said:

I meant i made a new bracket for the exhaust to fit with the altrider luggageplate. The provided bracket of hpcorse with 2 holes, did not match with the altrider plate under the seat. See picture for my bracket with 1 hole to hold the exhaust. 

To mount the AS side racks, it fitted with no problems, i made no changes there.

@BikeBrother - Interesting.  Your Adv Spec bracket definitely sits higher and farther forward than mine (see photos).  I'm sure this is because yours is fitted with just the spacer, while mine is spacer + foot peg, which moves the bracket lower and farther back.  I would like mine to fit like yours does so I have room for my HP Corse.  But with the top two mounting points on the Adv Spec rack tight, it won't reach.  Maybe I need to "massage" the rack a bit to make it fit??

Yours:

image.jpeg.c666d273da488c929f26050623fc06a4.jpeg

Mine:

IMG_0364.jpeg.be7736c86ed7cfb456cb7cbbab515259.jpeg

IMG_0362.jpeg.ec8f9da79de552eae11fd13bfb906b5d.jpeg

Just hat a look at the AS website, and they show only pictures without the pillion footpegs. Maybe they designed it for this way. Maybe ask them directly?

2 hours ago, BikeBrother said:

Just hat a look at the AS website, and they show only pictures without the pillion footpegs. Maybe they designed it for this way. Maybe ask them directly?

I see that the red and white bike on their website doesn't have pillion pegs.  But their install instructions and blue bike on their site show it with pegs.  Hmmm.  I will reach out to them.

AS pic.jpeg

AS pic2.jpeg

2 hours ago, BikeBrother said:

Here's how mine lines up with the pillion peg removed.

IMG_0366.jpeg.3225810926f4c5cf3e580edca5c54c39.jpeg

It looks like if your bracket is longer. I will measure mines tomorrow morning .

Here the bracket with a ruler. Maybe it helps to find out if they have the same lenght.

IMG_20220611_083231771.jpg

IMG_20220611_083312849.jpg

12 hours ago, BikeBrother said:

Here the bracket with a ruler. Maybe it helps to find out if they have the same lenght.

IMG_20220611_083231771.jpg

IMG_20220611_083312849.jpg

Yeah, it looks like my bracket might be a bit taller.  I also think the rack itself is shaped or aligned a little bit differently.  The bracket hole in yours lines up above the frame rail and just below the plastic.  On mine, it lines up at the top ⅓ of the frame rail, below the plastic.  I wonder if ours are different batches from AS... maybe they moved the hole down so that it wouldn't rub on the plastic??

12 hours ago, BikeBrother said:

IMG_20220611_083512614.jpg

IMG_20220611_083737081.jpg

Thanks for sending photos and helping me trouble-shoot.  I sent a message to AS and asked about the fitment.  Hopefully I'll hear back soon.

On 6/7/2022 at 1:27 AM, rd1myers said:

Please post any solutions you come up with.

Yesterday i executed the idea i came up with.
Didn't test it yet and might have to turn them around and don't know what the impact of the MIVV Dakar is because i still waiting for it.
IMG_20220616_165852.jpg.55ebca5e0a7904022dcdb696dff7ce0e.jpg

IMG_20220616_165908.jpg.1650c2111388dce7df175fe290beaa7c.jpg

I took the lower bolt of the footpeg mounting bracket out and drilled a 5mm hole in and tappet it with M6 to use the bolts that came with the cleats.
I drilled the hole not deeper as the length of the bolt. Because the bolt is under the footpeg there will be no lateral force.
On the other side i used both washers between the bolt and the cleat because the bolt sits a bit back.

5 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Yesterday i executed the idea i came up with.
Didn't test it yet and might have to turn them around and don't know what the impact of the MIVV Dakar is because i still waiting for it.
IMG_20220616_165852.jpg.55ebca5e0a7904022dcdb696dff7ce0e.jpg

IMG_20220616_165908.jpg.1650c2111388dce7df175fe290beaa7c.jpg

I took the lower bolt of the footpeg mounting bracket out and drilled a 5mm hole in and tappet it with M6 to use the bolts that came with the cleats.
I drilled the hole not deeper as the length of the bolt. Because the bolt is under the footpeg there will be no lateral force.
On the other side i used both washers between the bolt and the cleat because the bolt sits a bit back.

Creative!  Well done.  It looks like that will be a good angle for securing the R80.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2022 at 12:25 AM, rd1myers said:

Creative!  Well done.  It looks like that will be a good angle for securing the R80.  Thanks for sharing.

It was creative but it turned out to be interfering with the boots.
Drilled the mounting holes of the cleats to 8,5mm and used the lower mounting hole for the passenger pegs which i took down.
I thought it would be to high but it's okay and just far enough to the front, a bit further back and they would be to close to the holster.