Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

HP Corse high mount + Adv Spec racks

rd1myers

@rd1myers Did AS give you any answer?  I'm having the same issue as you. My bike had AS top rack and side racks and no passenger footpegs on when I bought it so I don't know exactly why, but the spacer on my bike is 40mm not 15mm. If the passenger footrest is 25mm then it would make sense, or maybe it's just because as the 40mm spacer from the kit wasn't needed in its intended place due to the AS top rack being fitted and it just turned out it could be used to reasonably make up for the footrest being removed (I say reasonably because it doesn't seem a perfect fit, although maybe I'm expecting a bit too much engineering there). Whatever the case, like this there's no room for the exhaust so would need some alteration to something for everything to fit.

image.jpeg.a0caf689a6ad265997d40c859de6f488.jpeg

Edited by Yatr

On 8/24/2022 at 4:18 PM, Yatr said:

@rd1myers Did AS give you any answer?  I'm having the same issue as you. My bike had AS top rack and side racks and no passenger footpegs on when I bought it so I don't know exactly why, but the spacer on my bike is 40mm not 15mm. If the passenger footrest is 25mm then it would make sense, or maybe it's just because as the 40mm spacer from the kit wasn't needed in its intended place due to the AS top rack being fitted and it just turned out it could be used to reasonably make up for the footrest being removed (I say reasonably because it doesn't seem a perfect fit, although maybe I'm expecting a bit too much engineering there). Whatever the case, like this there's no room for the exhaust so would need some alteration to something for everything to fit.

I ended up modifying the provided spacers from AS to match what was intended with my OM top rack on.  It all fit together pretty well.  There is minimal space between the HP Corse and the bracket for the side rack, but enough to work.  I put a flexible heat shield on the pipe near the bracket to (hopefully!) make sure I don't melt my R80 straps, since I am using the front mounting point to secure the straps.  It looks like the spacer for your bracket is longer than the AS one provided.  I used the provided one plus a couple smaller ones that roughly make it about the same as the footpeg + spacer (maybe a little shorter).  If you leave the top mounting bolts very loose until you get the one near your pipe tightened up first, it should all pull together.

IMG_0640.jpg.e25ff548d931fc932b3592780efa2357.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks @rd1myers 👍  - I hadn't realized how much it could be pulled from it's "natural" alignment by first leaving the bolts very loose, so that was a top tip 😀

Looks like you used about 18mm of spacer in total and that's what I've now cut mine to - seemed a good compromise between having a little bit of space to the exhaust and not having the whole thing under too much tension when you tighten up.

Edited by Yatr
  • Like 1

@Yatr Good, glad it worked for you.  I also used a hex head bolt at the lower mount above the pipe.  That way, if it rattles loose over time, I can tighten it up without having to remove the pipe to access it with an allen wrench.  I think I put a little blue loctite on the threads too.  

1 hour ago, rd1myers said:

@Yatr Good, glad it worked for you.  I also used a hex head bolt at the lower mount above the pipe.  That way, if it rattles loose over time, I can tighten it up without having to remove the pipe to access it with an allen wrench.  I think I put a little blue loctite on the threads too.  

Ah yes, good thinking, and the hex bolt has a slightly thinner head so buys you a bit more space too. I used a socket head bolt to match the others, but if the blue loctite I put on doesn't stop it coming loose and I have to take it all apart will change to a hex like you, cheers

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to leave the passenger footpegs in place so I made a simple bracket out of a piece of aluminum flat bar that is sandwiched in between the frame and footpeg bracket.

20220920_230255.jpg.c6df1cf82099f9b4ea9b51c6a90123b3.jpg

• Like 2