Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Protaper Adventure Evo + Barkbusters

Zero600

Today I installed a Protaper Aventure Evo (low/standard) handlebar for a little more sweep and rise.  After failing to get a nice install with some Enduro Engineering handguards, I grabbed my T7 Barkbusters (for OEM bars) and my bag of miscellaneous Barkbuster parts and tried to hack together a good setup.

Turns out it's easy and the result is GREAT.

You need two new parts:

1.  Expansion nuts for the bar ends - in this case, 14mm.  This is because the Protaper bar is not threaded on the ends.  I used the parts from the Enduro Engineering guards, which are the "Taper lock set 50-033" found here:

There may be other inserts that can work, from Barkbuster or Tusk or other.

2.  A different set of saddle clamps, Barkbuster BSS-01. 

barkbusters_saddle_clamp_set_for118_bars

Upgrading from 7/8" bars to 1 1/8" bars? Run the same Barkbusters kit by just swapping out the inner bar clamps.

With these parts, everything fits up perfectly without modification.  The clamps end up in a different spot that with the OEM setup so you even get improved clearance for the clutch cable and the brake hose.  My levers are finally where I want them.

If you're starting fresh, without any handguards, there might be a better answer, but if you already have the OEM Barkbusters and want to go to the Protaper Adventure Evo bar, this setup is awesome.

main.JPG

top.JPG

brake.JPG

clutch.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Excellent job @Zero600 This set up offers good coverage and good looks.  Thanks for the post on this.

You are most welcome.  Handguards always seem to be a challenge, so it was satisfying to find a clean solution.  Although I apologize for denying others the opportunity to scratch up their brand new handlebars trying to get clamps to fit.  What a great feeling that is. 🥴

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can now confirm that the Barkbuster expansion nuts also work well, as an alternative to the Enduro Engineering parts given above.  Barkbuster part number B-027.  They include collars that help the nuts to tighten without spinning, but you do not need to use them.  Expand the nut so that it just fits inside the bar, then insert, and there will be enough friction to tighten fully.

barkbusters_bar_end_mounting_kit14mm_all

If using 7/8" Pro Taper SE alloy handlebars or other aluminum handlebars with a smaller internal diameter than standard steel handlebars with Barkbust…

• Thanks 1

hi, excellent share on this as I am planning on the same route or maybe a different Protaper bar.  Just would like to ask, isn't it that the stock Barkbuster clamp is already for a tapered oem bar, will it not fit the aftermarket Protapers?

Edited by intellution

The clamps look the same, but the inside clamp size and/or taper is different. BB makes several different sizes of these clamps for tapered bars.  I believe they can be identified by the lines on the inside of the clamp.

No guarantees this exact setup will fit a different Protaper bar.  Every bar is a different. Different BB kits can include not only different clamps, but the shape and length of the backbone varies as well, which affects where the clamps land on the taper of the bar, and hence what clamp size you need.  Or sometimes you even need a different clamp shape. It’s a 3-dimensional problem.

If you find a good setup for a different Protaper bar, please share!

• 4 weeks later...

I received my barkbusters today but the gilles levers that were on the bike when I bought it,come out too far and compress against the bar, so I now have to source some stock levers or buy some new ones

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

@Zero600 Assuming you had to trim the locater pins (called projections in the Service Manual) off the oem handlebar switch housings?  I can't imagine the Pro Taper ADV Evo bars have holes that line up exactly with those holes. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

25 minutes ago, AZJW said:

@Zero600 Assuming you had to trim the locater pins (called projections in the Service Manual) off the oem handlebar switch housings?  I can't imagine the Pro Taper ADV Evo bars have holes that line up exactly with those holes. 

Yes.  I'm sure there are many ways to do this, but if you have a set of brad-point drill bits in your shop, it's very quick and easy.  Just pick a bit that is larger diameter than the pin, put the brad point inside the pin (they are hollow), and drill down the the right depth.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Resurrecting this thread..  I’m fitting the same bars, was wondering how you installed the bar weights in the protaper bars?   The thread on the weights is set up for the stock bars.   Are those aftermarket weights?  

thanks Jc

Edited by Jc450

5 hours ago, Jc450 said:

Resurrecting this thread..  I’m fitting the same bars, was wondering how you installed the bar weights in the protaper bars?   The thread on the weights is set up for the stock bars.   Are those aftermarket weights?  

thanks Jc

The Bark Buster Tenere kit comes with those bar end weights.

6 hours ago, DanDoesStunts said:

ok thanks.  I was purchasing the generic 1 1/8" taper bar kit, looks like I will need the BB bar end weights if I want to go that route.  Has anyone fitted the generic kit?

3 hours ago, Jc450 said:

I have. You can also buy the generic BB end weights

I have a used set of the Bark Busters Tenere kit available along with a Kaoko throttle lock that fits with the BB's.  

Located in Canada but will ship to Canada or US.

$99 US each ($138 CDN ea) or the set $185 USD ($250 CDN) shipping included.

(Will also post this in Parts for Sale)

56 minutes ago, roygilbo said:

I have a used set of the Bark Busters Tenere kit available along with a Kaoko throttle lock that fits with the BB's.  

Located in Canada but will ship to Canada or US.

$99 US each ($138 CDN ea) or the set $185 USD ($250 CDN) shipping included.

(Will also post this in Parts for Sale)

Did you have them mounted on OEM handlebars or tapered bars like Protaper?

28 minutes ago, Jc450 said:

The tenere kit uses a threaded bung to attach to the OEM bars. 

You need the generic kit’s expanding plug or tap a thread into the bars and use the Tenere kits bung.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jc450 said:

It was on the OEM, but the answer below is correct.  You can tap to the OEM thread size inside the bar.  

• 1 month later...

So I assume this set up will need a longer 8mm bolt to pass through the bar end weight into the expansion plug? I had ditched the bar end weights and drilled new holes just using the expansion plug when I first switched to the protaper adv bars..

10 hours ago, vagrant318 said:

So I assume this set up will need a longer 8mm bolt to pass through the bar end weight into the expansion plug? I had ditched the bar end weights and drilled new holes just using the expansion plug when I first switched to the protaper adv bars..

Good add. Pretty sure you do need longer bolts to use bar weights and the expansion plugs. I have a whole grab bag of Barkbuster parts so I can’t remember for sure what was original, but I think you need something around 2” long.

So I grabbed 55mm bolts from fastenal that did the trick.  The left side went together well and I had to keep the spacer from the c stock handlebar set up for the proper length.  Throttle side not as cooperative which I can probably attribute to left side getting bent in a down. Ill probably need to get the clamps mentioned above or some extra spacers to get a better fit but I'll see if this holds together lol. It might actually make vibration worse hanging out there the way it is

20230721_162708.jpg

20230721_170110.jpg